Dynamic wing mirrors

There're actually several versions, one is black tinted and another is clear like OEM, the clear is a little bit more expensive and I think a little smoother too...

There're actually several versions, one is black tinted and another is clear like OEM, the clear is a little bit more expensive and I think a little smoother too...

Thats interesting as I haven't seen any clear ones, would you happen to have a link flying about ?

Hey Guys and Gals!

It's a little late but I'm wide awake and thought I would post a quick update. The lights came a lot quicker than expected and as I had a half day at work, I thought I'd give the install a go. The install wasn't hard at all...A word of warning tho, make sure your screwdriver is magnetised and you have patience. My initial thought once installed were how much brighter they were compared to the original lights; also bear in mind it was still bright outside. I was worried that I would be able to see the LED strip behind and I would look cheap, but it honestly looks like something that would have been factory installed. The only issue I have come across is the fact that the small light beside the actually mirrors glass isn't as noticeable as before, It's still visible but not as prominent as the original. It's still early days and anything could happen in the next few weeks but from my initial thoughts, I am very happy with how it looks and In my option doesn't look cheap or non-factory in any way. I have attached a link to a video I took during the day as well as at night.

Let's see them from the front with the front indicators in view.

Let's see them from the front with the front indicators in view.

They'll certainly look less out of place than the crappy half-dynamic US FL turn signals.

Edit: Example added. This is an A4, but the behavior is the same on the A3/S3, Q5, etc. in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vertigo1
They'll certainly look less out of place than the crappy half-dynamic US FL turn signals.

US legislation on car lighting is totally nuts and from the dark ages.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, cemerson and Dan Halen
US legislation on car lighting is totally nuts and from the dark ages.

:yes: :blink:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/13/why-we-cant-have-better-headlights/

"And five years after the introduction of its matrix-beam LED lighting, which illuminates more of the road without blinding oncoming motorists with brights by simultaneously operating high and low beams, Audi still can't bring that technology to the U.S. either. This is because it doesn't adhere to the inflexible and archaic 50-year-old Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) that require all vehicles to have headlights capable of only switching from high to low beams and not blend the two together, which also rules out MB's Digital Light tech."

... and the future doesn't look bright, either...

"But NHTSA has shown no willingness or sense of haste to change FMVSS regulations on front lighting and side mirrors. And more than a year into the Trump administration, NHTSA still doesn't have an administrator to lead the organization."

Edit: Example added. This is an A4, but the behavior is the same on the A3/S3, Q5, etc. in the US.

...and that functionality is hard wired in, cannot be coded out.

...and that functionality is hard wired in, cannot be coded out.
Yup. All else being equal (it never is, obviously), PFL > FL for that reason. It bugs me that, were I to get an RS3, I couldn't transfer my EU FL tail lamps over.

Everyone has their own taste, example I think the dynamic wings would look good but only with matrix headlights..... but then I think carbon on anything other than a hyper car looks pants.

I think carbon fibre looks terrible full stop. It's also pretty nasty stuff to have around in a crash...

As for the indicators - quite like them, but I also like having the little patch that points inwards as a repeater to the driver so probably won't go for them myself.

Yup. All else being equal (it never is, obviously), PFL > FL for that reason. It bugs me that, were I to get an RS3, I couldn't transfer my EU FL tail lamps over.

Well you could Dan... You would just have to do some additional wiring and connector housing changes to go with them! :cower:

As you wish!

I wish I could unsee what I think I see.

On the curb side mirror, if you look at the thing as a string of individual LEDs- let's say eight of them, with #1 being closest to the door and #8 being at the extreme outer edge- does it look like it's illuminating #2 or #3 first, and then the dynamic pattern goes out in both directions from there? Maybe it's a trick of the video?

On the curb side mirror, if you look at the thing as a string of individual LEDs- let's say eight of them, with #1 being closest to the door and #8 being at the extreme outer edge- does it look like it's illuminating #2 or #3 first, and then the dynamic pattern goes out in both directions from there? Maybe it's a trick of the video?

Oh sh1t I think I see it too. Is there a name for our affliction?

haha just like the FedEx logo and a load of other things, I will now never unsee that. Part of me tho thinks its from the angle of the video, I keep referring to my original video and don't see it. I did also notice on the video that on the rear dynamic taillight looks like only the inner light module (attached to the boot) actually scrolls and the outer module doesn't....Maybe I'm going mad and looking way too deep Lol

Reactions: Dan Halen
haha just like the FedEx logo and a load of other things, I will now never unsee that. Part of me tho thinks its from the angle of the video, I keep referring to my original video and don't see it. I did also notice on the video that on the rear dynamic taillight looks like only the inner light module (attached to the boot) actually scrolls and the outer module doesn't....Maybe I'm going mad and looking way too deep Lol
I'm quite afraid to ask. I live in the hometown of FedEx, so there's no shortage of opportunities to see the logo.

I've written it off as a video frame rate glitch, much for the same reason- often the rear dynamic units look wonky in video. LEDs in general don't represent well in video form.

I'm quite afraid to ask. I live in the hometown of FedEx, so there's no shortage of opportunities to see the logo.

I've written it off as a video frame rate glitch, much for the same reason- often the rear dynamic units look wonky in video. LEDs in general don't represent well in video form.

Hahah as a Advertising and Marketing Student It's my job to know all these stupid hidden signs haha anyways beside the point. I honestly believe it's to do with the video (4k 30fps), I went went out a little while ago and didn't notice it. If anyone is in the London area and wants to come and have a look feel free. I find it hard to even do the dynamic taillights justice on video, I guess it's one of them things without the 'Perfect' lighting it doesn't look great.

Reactions: Chris43 and Dan Halen
I think we need a slow motion video ! :salute:

You guys are killing me with the videos haha, but I just recorded it in 1080p 240fps slow motion. From looking at it, the LEDs are scrolling correctly.

Reactions: Saxton-1988, paul wev, Chris43 and 1 other person
You guys are killing me with the videos haha, but I just recorded it in 1080p 240fps slow motion. From looking at it, the LEDs are scrolling correctly.

To me it looks like @Dan Halen is right. #2 and #3 start first, then #1 and from that point on it flashes correctly. Thank you for the video ;)

I am happy to report that the version I have flows from start to end very well. I think the video shows that as well.

Reactions: MarttiMat, paul wev and Schizophonic
So those of you who have swapped mirror indicators... how did you remove the mirror glass? The factory service manual says to use a VAS tool that is used for handling windshields- basically an industrial suction cup apparatus. I bought a 2-1/4” suction cup that clamps down to hold, and that worked fine on the US passenger side non-dimming glass. Now that I'm on the driver's side, where I do have dimming glass, it's just not wanting to come off of the mount. I've pulled past the suction cup's yield point multiple times, and I don't want to start trying to pull from off-center and risk shattering the glass as I'm sure it's not a cheap piece of glass.

Got mine installed and supplied by @DJAlix. Mines the same as above but install was quick after doing the first side. Happy Schizophonic here.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul wev