Dynamic mode on drive select

LauraStellA3

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have read a few things online that have said when you turn the ignition off in dynamic mode...when you turn it back on it still shows as being in dynamic mode but not fully so to speak or something like that e.g throttle response isnt fully in dynamic mode? So you need to re click through the drive select options and re select it is this true? So that then it is fully enagaged in the mode with everything... im pretty confused by what iv read but have been manually clicking thru drive select each time i start the car and dont really want to be having to do this if i dont need to. Any help would be much appreciated thanks everyone :)

Reactions: Don.wang and Audi Bairn
Yeah this is correct! I can only assume it's so you aren't driving with transmission etc. in dynamic when the engine is cold.

Reactions: Don.wang
Do you have to click through every mode on drive select to get it back to dynamic? or is just pressing the drive select button quickly once enough as obviously dynamic comes up first as this is the mode it was originally in.

If you're DSG just click the shifter down and you'll be in Dynamic sports not dynamic drive as we'll call it

Reactions: mikemod
Do you have to click through every mode on drive select to get it back to dynamic? or is just pressing the drive select button quickly once enough as obviously dynamic comes up first as this is the mode it was originally in.

All the way round. :)

You can usually tell by the revs. Put it in dynamic mode and you'll notice the revs rise at idle. Turn the engine off and start it again and you'll see the revs are lower at idle. Click the drive select button once, it'll show dynamic but the revs don't change. Now go all the way round and you'll see the idle increase. :)

Reactions: Benji34
Just tried that great explanation thanks for your help guys :)

Reactions: OliS3
Just one other quick thing am i ok to put it into dynamic more or less straight away or am i better waiting 10mins or so from a cold start?

I'd wait till you know the car is warm personally but I'm sure many don't

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: LauraStellA3
Well, I never knew that ........ and after 2 years !!!!

Will need to do it from now on. So when you switch it off in Dynamic, what setting is it in on startup then?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
If you have S-Tronic then you are still in Dynamic mode it's just that the gearbox isn't in sport mode.

I drive mine in Dynamic all the time but have never noticed any difference after starting, between leaving it or pressing the button until you cycle back to dynamic again.
The only difference is that when you cycle round the modes back to dynamic the gearbox is switched to S mode and the idle speed is increased. Pulling the lever back it goes back to D mode and the idle is reduced.

Reactions: OliS3
My friend has just asked me the same thing as he has manual does this still apply?

Yes, my PFL manual did this too. You have to cycle through the modes back to Dynamic (or Individual when you have Dynamic engine set) to actually turn it on after starting.

Reactions: LauraStellA3
I leave mine in individual with engine sound set to dynamic and everything else on auto for daily stuff.

Reactions: CookD, Audi Bairn and Uncle Slaphead
I have my ACC in dynamic and everything else in auto. No point having the engine in Dynamic with the s-tronic, as you get it on demand with a tap of the gear stick anyway.

Well, I never knew that ........ and after 2 years !!!!

Will need to do it from now on. So when you switch it off in Dynamic, what setting is it in on startup then?

I assume it is automatic.

If you don't cycle, things like your throttle response will remain lazy and your engine sound will be off.

There was another thread about this recently. I didnt know that when we stopped the car, the Audi Select system reverts back to Auto setting. Iv had it in Dynamic & Individual ever since i have got it but now i know this it has changed the performance completely. Real pain in the posterior having to cycle through the settings every single time i get in her but its better than her being slow. I really did find it weird that the performance sometimes lacked and other times it was ok. No wonder!

Ok with a DSG Box there are 5 modes whatever mode you have it in it will stay in that mode when you restart the car, however if you pull the gear stick down you put it in sport in what ever mode you are in, if you then stop and restart the car it wont start in sport. So if you want the full beans you need it in Dynamic mode and in S for sport...

All a bit shoddy by Audi imho
Why the heck would we want our cars to read Dynamic when it's not really in Dynamic.
There are a couple of things like this with my car I'm not impressed by.
E.g. Shortcut key that works intermittently and iPod connnection which doesn't pick up where I left off when I get in the car

Reactions: DorsetGuy
If you're DSG just click the shifter down and you'll be in Dynamic sports not dynamic drive as we'll call it
Sports gearbox yes dynamic no. Need to cycle the modes back to dynamic. Some cars did get stuck in dynamic (build date issue) which is getting "fixed" with a software patch! Mine was done today when in for oil change.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I leave mine in individual with engine sound set to dynamic and everything else on auto for daily stuff.
Same issue if you don't cycle the modes.

TX.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Yes you 100% need to cycle the modes. Shifting to S will only change the box, not suspension, steering, diff, exhaust valves, sound actuator- whatever you have fitted. Shifting back to D will put you back in full auto mode.

I asked my master tech and he showed me the response on his pc.

Reason 1: part of emissions and noise is tested on startup

Reason 2: it will never start in dynamic incase there is a driver change and they may not want/expect "dynamic driving behaviour".

Reactions: Terminator x, 96cr, AudiNutta and 1 other person
All a bit shoddy by Audi imho
Why the heck would we want our cars to read Dynamic when it's not really in Dynamic.
There are a couple of things like this with my car I'm not impressed by.
E.g. Shortcut key that works intermittently and iPod connnection which doesn't pick up where I left off when I get in the car

Your connection will pick up the same if your music app hasn't been closed down? Mine does.

Well, I think it's all a bit shocking TBH. What's the point?

This is why I've argued for a few years now that sporty cars should be sporty out of the box. No pressing buttons to make it sporty. That's why I loved the old B7 RS4. It had one button for seat bolster and throttle map. Other than that, it was passive suspension (so always sporty).

Buttons? Settings? Please no more. Think BMW are even worse.

Mine must be broken then, because there is no difference in the way the car drives or sounds if I leave it in Dynamic from the start or cycle through the modes and put it in Dynamic.

When you're in drive you should notice an rpm increase as somebody else said.

The only time there is an increase in revs is when the gearbox goes from D to S. Putting it back to D reduces the revs again.

Sports gearbox yes dynamic no. Need to cycle the modes back to dynamic. Some cars did get stuck in dynamic (build date issue) which is getting "fixed" with a software patch! Mine was done today when in for oil change.

TX.

My steering feels the same if I cycle or don't but I do have all my custom settings in dynamic anyway

Mine must be broken then, because there is no difference in the way the car drives or sounds if I leave it in Dynamic from the start or cycle through the modes and put it in Dynamic.
See my post above, software update will "fix" it!

TX.

Your connection will pick up the same if your music app hasn't been closed down? Mine does.

Not sure what you mean by music app? It's an iPod with music from iTunes, permanently plugged into the car via USB in arm rest, never switched off. Sometimes it reverts to the first album alphabetically sometimes it doesn't. Then when the last track of a given album finishes it doesn't go into the next album, it goes back to the first album alphabetically again.
Worked perfectly in my S5.

Yes you 100% need to cycle the modes. Shifting to S will only change the box, not suspension, steering, diff, exhaust valves, sound actuator- whatever you have fitted. Shifting back to D will put you back in full auto mode.

I asked my master tech and he showed me the response on his pc.

Reason 1: part of emissions and noise is tested on startup

Reason 2: it will never start in dynamic incase there is a driver change and they may not want/expect "dynamic driving behaviour".

Not sure what car you have but my S3 2016 will stay in dynamic mode if I turn the engine off then back on again, it will stay in what every mode if have it in when i turn the engine off.

Think people are getting confused with the point being made! its not what you see, its what you feel. It may say its in dynamic or individual but in reality, it isnt! I didnt know this was the case until i read a thread recently regarding this issue. Mine is always in Individual or Dynamic. In the past when i have started the car in the morning it never felt like it was in Dynamic so when i heard about the car reverting to Auto mode (through the other thread & peoples complaints) even though it states Dynamic, i tried scrolling round on the Audi Select button to select Dynamic again, even though it stated it was in Dynamic, and it changed the car completely.

Also, it might be different for PFL & FL.

Reactions: AB RS3, LauraStellA3, 96cr and 4 others
Not sure what car you have but my S3 2016 will stay in dynamic mode if I turn the engine off then back on again, it will stay in what every mode if have it in when i turn the engine off.
It says dynamic but it's not dynamic. That's the issue.

Reactions: scoss, LauraStellA3, AudiNutta and 3 others
I have a manual and it stays in what ever mode I leave it in when switching off, is this an issue just for stronic?

I can assure you it is in dynamic, cycling through makes no difference.

I have a manual and it stays in what ever mode I leave it in when switching off, is this an issue just for stronic?

I can assure you it is in dynamic, cycling through makes no difference.
What do you have fitted that changes in dynamic? Mag ride/ drc, exhaust flaps, variable steering, sport diff etc. All of these things will never start in dynamic even if it says it is

Not sure what you mean by music app? It's an iPod with music from iTunes, permanently plugged into the car via USB in arm rest, never switched off. Sometimes it reverts to the first album alphabetically sometimes it doesn't. Then when the last track of a given album finishes it doesn't go into the next album, it goes back to the first album alphabetically again.
Worked perfectly in my S5.

Well, on my iPhone there is a music app and once closed down it goes back to the alphabetical order you speak of.

If I leave the app open / in the background, 9/10 mine carries on where it stopped playing.

Reactions: MikeSel^
Well, on my iPhone there is a music app and once closed down it goes back to the alphabetical order you speak of.

If I leave the app open / in the background, 9/10 mine carries on where it stopped playing.

Ah right, I see what you mean.
Mines just straight from the iPod.
Really bugs me as I'm constantly scrolling through my entire music collection start to finish.
Real pain starting from 'A' when it's ZZ Top you're after ha ha!