Dv hose connected to tip gunked

Silva bullet

Reaction score
Hey everyone slight problem for past few days I have been taking the d.v valve off and the hose which connects to the tip it's this hose which is full of gunk looks like the gunk in the stickies when a member installs a catch can and removes light brown gunge out.
I have ordered the last remaining hose which I needed so altogether I have the fittings and clamp etc.
My question is that will all this gunk go in the catch can once installed and after the install should I use 1 step thicker oil.
Currently I use quantum 5 w30 but I require a top up more often than I need to top my mobile lol car is s3 8l 150k ish
Thanks everyone ...Silva bullet

Yes, once you connect crankcase vent outlets to a catch can, thats where all the oil vapour will collect.

As im sure you know factory set up re-introduces crankcase pressure (oil vapour) into intake system

Evening samhendry I have in the past took off the hose connected to the tip alot of times 5 years of ownership but never hav I found this gunk it has always been oily but not gluey brown gunge I was today literally fishing it out with a hose clamp screw.
Should get my hose in the post in a few days so will try the install.
Is it worth me 5 w 40 quantum aswell asi hae always put in 5w30 but keep getting empty reading on the dipstick really paranoid so put in a litre or so every few hundred miles or so
Thanks for your help mate...Silva bullet

Litre every few hundred miles doesn't sound normal to me. Is it burning oil?

I use 10w40 mate. 30 is too thin imo

I don't understand why the gunk is in the Diverter Valve? To get to that the gunk needs to go through the vacuum hoses and potentially N249 valve etc. do you mean the hockey puck?

it does seem like quite a lot of oil disappearing somewhere.

Did you not have a couple of threads going about blue smoke and burning oil on here before Xmas. Was that problem sorted? It does sound a bit strange that you would have gunk in ur diverted valve. Sounds like a bit of investigation needs to happen to find ur problem.

Morning mate sorry but I have been confusing..
Yes buddy I meant the hockey puck ..it's gunked up really too much.
I have done the n249 delete afew years back so all the mess on rocket covet is gone which improved throttle response..
Don't know how to nip it onetime..
No hose in the post today but I wait patiently.
Ounce i get the hose I'll wonder how to plumb the catch can together..thanks for your help mate...

Morning mate that's right I started investigating before Xmas and as off until now it had the head off valve guides fitted inlet/exhaust valves replaced,springs,stem seals,oil pump..I have also had the turbo on the bench which had slight play but was rotating quite freely.
Hopefully get to the end of this mystery the problem I have I I only have 1 car so I don't have much time to work on the car I always have to complete whatever it is in like 1 day as I would need the car for work next morning..works 15 miles away or else I would trot it lol

Blimey that's loads, did you get a compression test?
Where's the oil going?
Past the rings, combusted and through the exhaust?
Out the breathers through the tip and intercoolers combusted and through the exhaust?
Dripping out a leak?

Stuart mate I know loads of work done in the last few months work was carried out by awesome gti they did a good job can't lie.
They also replaced my cracked bam head as it had low compression so they took off head and found hairline cracks on 2 ports and also exhaust manifold was cracked so I gave them a used good condition1 and before the car went in with them I replaced t cam chain tensioner which I got from eurocarparts..
There is a leak under the car but it's windscreen fluid from the tank so basically If I fill windscreen tank to the top it leaks half the amount so I keep under half full and got a window cleaner holts spray in the glove which I use almost everyday.

Really mate the oil is making me so hot headed recently.
Car went back to the repaires and they confirmed that all was still well with their work
Their senior mechanic is a top bloke learnt so much from him I'd defo go there again and not just for parts either.
All in all just put it down to age/luck buy I know everything should be running as it should after all the parts fitted
Hey ho I guess I've learnt to save money now lol

My windscreen washer bottle leaked too, that's why my driver wing rusted to dust.

Morning all..this morning got my silicone hose in the post so I now have all the bits for a catch can install.
I've eyeballed the engine bay and sort of can tell where the hoses pop onto for the can but I'm not sure what to do with the hole
That's gonna be left in the tip when I remove the hose that connects to the pancake valve..
I have a can with a filter on top with no baffles and I do intent to vent to atmosphere..do I block the hole with a bolt??
Thanks...silva bullet

Attachments

• 20180213_172751_LLS.jpg
    20180213_172751_LLS.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20180213_172751_LLS.jpg
    20180213_172751_LLS.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Smashing hydro s3 will do what you said after Ive completed the school run lol
Any news on your group buy lights have they come in yet..

No not got them yet. I think mine will be near the last as I'm getting them blacked out. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have them. There's a picture of how mines done.

Attachments

• 20180214_133349.jpg
    20180214_133349.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Can wait to see the lights although I have seen pics of a member who wad involved in the last group buy..
Thanks for your pic of your catch can it will help..
I couldn't do the catch can today had to pick up a work mate as his tt v6 decided to snap a rear coil.
Thanks mate for your help I will update over the weekend along with dogboneheli coil job..silva bullet

Evening everyone just 1 last question before I can do my catch can..
Gonna vent to atmosphere what I don't get is that where should i the output hose that comes out the can or is it that I don't need the output hose and I should blank that..
Apologies as I defo sound like a bumpy.
Thanks everyone

There is a filter at the top already so altogether I should have 2 filter's..
Thanks for your help hydos3

What is the can like? 2 hose connections and a filter on top?

If so, both hose connections are likely 'intakes', and the filter is the 'exhaust' of the can.

One filter on top and one on the side and ur hose going in to the catch can if ur venting to atmosphere. I'll get a picture of mine in the morning and put it up if that would help.

If your engine is spitting out a lot of gunky smoke those filters will block up and split.

Erikn89nl thanks for the info bud.
Yeah your right 2 inlets/outlets which are on top sides there is also a filter on top and a drain plug on the bottom it also has a window pipe thing to tell how full it is.
Costed about 2o notes from eBay.
I've sprayed the can black and is currently drying in my garden.I will take pics and post then later on today just wanna give it afew coates first...silva bullet

Hey Stuart b that's right engine is spitting out gunk as I have took out pancake valve and the hose that connects to oem tip.
Goey gunge was horrible to clean in my kitchen sink smelt of petrol all night..update coming later on tonight...thanks for your help mate...Silva bullet

Erikn89nl thanks for the info bud.
Yeah your right 2 inlets/outlets which are on top sides there is also a filter on top and a drain plug on the bottom it also has a window pipe thing to tell how full it is.
Costed about 2o notes from eBay.
I've sprayed the can black and is currently drying in my garden.I will take pics and post then later on today just wanna give it afew coats first...silva bullet

Hydro s3 thanks for your help it's getting to a point where I'm actually getting confident that's it's getting done tomorrow..
Pics mate will help me alot pal so I'd appreciate if you could..
Catch can at the moment is getting sprayed in my garden just waiting for it to dry so can apply afew more coats.
Original color was blue and was too flasy in the bay when I just placed the can in the engine bay to see how it would look...update later on to tonight...silva bullet

Tried a post with catxh can sprayed with ports visible but the file (pic)is too big so can't show them.
Not even1 photo. .

This is how mine is in with a filter on top an inlet on the side and another filter on the side also.The strut brace gets in the way of a good picture.20180216 204127 20180216 204118

Thanks Hydros3 your awesome buddy I think my brain will find it easier tomorrow now that I have your pics.
Don't know why but I'm always been weird like that..
So today not done much than dust off and wipe the engine bay after spraying the can
I still can't seem to post the pics I took today...silva bullet

You need to go into your settings of ur phone and change the the picture resolution down a size or two as it's taking the pictures to big for the upload

or email them to yourself at 75% size then use those pics

Reactions: hydro s3
Hello everyone just a update on jobs done today in fact not very much done.I ripped out the ever so oily pcv pipes.
As I have previously done the vacuum chamber detele all that needed removing was a hose that connects to the plastic elbow that comes out the block and also took off the hose that connects to the tip and then the oem junction which comes out the left hand side of the rocker cover.the pancake valve has also made redundant.
Moving on in then placed a bolt in the oem tip hose which was left as I made the hose that connects to the tip redundant thanks for the heads up Hydros3. .scrapping is all done now I have to just install the can in the morning. .
I couldn't heli coil dogbone mount hole as my crappy drill belive or not doesn't open enough to insert the fat round drill bit that comes with the helI coil kit
So that's on the back back burner for now.
On the sleering rack snapped bolts issue no luck at all the hss cobalt drill bit was a waste snapped after 3 second no ****** progress and it wasn't even raining..silva bullet

Attachments

• 20180217_151926.jpg
    20180217_151926.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Tell u what I wish I did mechanics ar college or something lol
Slowly but surely I will get to it..
Arch can install tomorrow so that's going to get interesting...silva bullet

I went through about £40 of drill bits trying to drill off one manifold to turbo bolt, you need the right amount of oil and start with small enough but not too small or they just snap. and that was from above - it's gonna be painful laying under the car, make sure you use good ramps and not the car balanced on axle stands etc.