1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift Dust caps seized on..

JDHOWELLS Aug 10, 2018

1. JDHOWELLS

JDHOWELLS Well-Known Member Audi S3

So got some lovely blue metal dust caps on my car when I got it last year... bloody things are seized on.. any great ideas to get the things off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Svenedin

Svenedin Well-Known Member Team Navarra Audi S3 quattro S tronic

WD40 or similar (Plusgas etc). Leave it long enough to penetrate into the threads. It's dissimilar metal corrosion. You'll need to spray from behind to have a hope of getting into the thread. A minuscule bit of grease will stop it happening again.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  4. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

You'll need A junior hacksaw and a set pliers to get them off.....split the cap in half at the top with a junior hacksaw blade then try and peel them off.....happened to me on my last S3....its....a tricky job

Rob2k68 likes this.
  5. Rob2k68

Rob2k68 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User MQB Platform

You may get away with mole grips but don’t squeeze so hard such to damage the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jassyo06 likes this.
  6. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

Yup l tried pipe grips/gland pliers as us sparkys like to call...em.....nope.....didny work.....

Rob2k68 likes this.
  7. JDHOWELLS

I’ll give this a go first, if not hacksaw it is

jassyo06 and Rob2k68 like this.
  8. josul

josul Active Member Team Daytona Audi S3 Sportback S tronic

:wtf:.... you have not checked your tyre pressure this year? Or am I reading too much into that!!!???

Good luck in getting them off.

KenL likes this.
  9. Svenedin

I have the Audi metal caps and one of those got stuck even though I usually check my tyre pressures fortnightly. It did come off with WD40 and it has not happened again since I applied a tiny bit of grease.

JDHOWELLS likes this.
  10. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Any metal dust caps need to have copper ease applied as the two metals of the cap and the valve will react to each other. I have heard that cola is also good for unseizing them...

JDHOWELLS likes this.
  11. JDHOWELLS

Yeh yeh so I don’t check my pressures weekly or whatever... cue the car maintenance Nazi’s.. I’m of the opinion if there is an issue the monitoring system will let me know, and I check them before any long journeys, hence realising I now can’t get them off!

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. JDHOWELLS

Coke has many uses, though it has to full fat no nonsense coke

14. josul

josul Active Member Team Daytona Audi S3 Sportback S tronic

Don't take my comment as having a go, was all in jest. I don't check mine as often as I should. But I would never leave it down to the ABS system to tell me, it doesn't work like that.

15. KenL

KenL Well-Known Member

Try wearing a rubber glove! Much more purchase.

JDHOWELLS likes this.
  16. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos TDi Audi A3 quattro S-line owners group DSG

...and this is the problem with metal dust caps!

ASBOST likes this.
  17. ASBOST

ASBOST Member

Yip, had them on the Scirocco.... Never again!

18. JDHOWELLS

Half a can of WD40 and a hacksaw to 3 of them and all four are off!

Never again putting after market caps on, they look nice but not worth the risk

19. Svenedin

The genuine Audi metal ones are just as bad. It’s a problem with all metal caps.

20. JDHOWELLS

Yeh but if the Audi ones get stuck on then it’s Audi who have a responsibility to get them off.. I asked at the dealership yesterday..

21. Svenedin

Not entirely sure about that. My car didn't come with them fitted. I added them but they did they did come from Audi directly.

22. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

ive copper slip on mine, i occasionally fit tyres and i know the problems that happen if you dont.