Dunlop SPORTMAXX Cracked (& replacements)

AUDI_ADDICT

Reaction score
Morning all, had these Sportmaxx RT's on my A7 for about 18 months, took the fronts off to change the xenon bulbs and noticed they both were developing cracks in the sidewalls

IMG 20200307 160211 copy 1094x1459 IMG 20200307 160139 copy 1094x820 IMG 20200307 160132 copy 1094x820

They've got about 14k miles on them, and a fair bit of tread left.

So for safety sake I am looking to change them out. I have seen there are quite a few more options in the 245/35/21 size which, according to willtheyfit.com are very close to the overall size and give minimal speedo error

Screenshot 20200308 081746 comandroidchrome edit

Has anyone fitted similar, or could forsee any issues fitting these tyres over the 275/30's?

Thanks in advance

Well the 275/245 number is the width of the tire, so you are significantly reducing the width/footprint of the tire when in contact with the ground.

Do you know how old the Dunlop’s are (there should be a manufacturing date on the tire) I’ve not seen sidewall cracking like that in all my years of driving.

Is there any reason you don’t exchange like for like (I’m on 20” rims as I’d heard of ride issues with the 21” set up)

Reactions: AUDI_ADDICT
I’ve seen a few threads about Dunlop’s side walls cracking. I think it’s a common issue.

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

Thanks for the reply RAF, there are a couple of reasons really...for some reason the Dunlop sidewall is very vertical (not that I like stretched tyres) which was different to the Contis they replaced so causes rubbing sometimes when you get a dip in the road with the car fully loaded. The other reasons are price and selection. After spending £500 on new brakes and another £1k on our A3 (which was about half the value of the car) recently I was looking at the 'not so premium' options. To be honest that's why there are Dunlops on it. After France some 18 months ago it was an expense I wasn't planning on so soon, and while they have been fine for 14k miles and the wear rate is good, they are pretty quiet and comfortable..to see these cracks are a bit of a worry

Have a look on eBay for cost effective replacements, there are always deals to be had.

You will even find OEM alloys, including tires, for less that you’d pay for tires at KWIK-FIT etc.

Most tire places will charge you between £10-15 for fitting/disposal etc.

did your tire supplier offer any comment on your Dunlop’s?

Nothing yet. Have sent pictures direct to Dunlop also. May also contact Audi for some advice if I don't get anywhere (which from reading other people's cases it doesn't sound like I'm going to)

Reactions: RAF_S7
Nothing from Dunlop, but had this back from the supplier

Thanks for the email. We can send the tyres away for a warranty inspection. I will enclose the warranty form for your to complete I will need one per tyre. Once the tyres are returned to us they will be sent back to Dunlop for examination. If the tyre is found to be faulty an age / wear related refund will issued to us which we will then pass onto you. If it is deem to be not a faulty tyre you can challenge the opinion and/or request the tyres back.

That does not look good. Don’t think it would pass an MOT like that. Hopefully they sort it.

That does not look good. Don’t think it would pass an MOT like that. Hopefully they sort it.

Funnily enough I was in R-Tec today to get the rear hubs re-threaded (don't ask) and the guy there said it probably wouldn't get through an MOT. Clearly a defective product. We'll see what they say when I send them back. Now...just the small task of finding £1k odd for a new set of boots

Funnily enough I was in R-Tec today to get the rear hubs re-threaded (don't ask) and the guy there said it probably wouldn't get through an MOT. Clearly a defective product. We'll see what they say when I send them back. Now...just the small task of finding £1k odd for a new set of boots

What you gonna replace them with?

Got my eye on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's

cad95360f197af0e35144316ea2af03b.jpg

Here’s a deal for ya. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's come to about ) £950 with fitting include. That’s 275/30/21 and u got a free amazon tab or spy for home too

Let me know what u think of them. They might be my next choice too.

I've been trying to see what they look like on 9J alloys, as the Dunlop were VERY square shouldered.

This is all I have found. Appears to be a 275 30 on what I assume is a 9in wide wheel

Screenshot 20200313 172536

Reactions: Bishop187
I'll post some pictures of them when I've had them fitted along with some thoughts on how they feel and perform. On paper (and reviews) they are a very impressive trye

Have to get the new tyres fitted first unfortunately. I have instructed them to retain the tyres as I need to send them back for inspection. Probably gonna be a couple of weeks yet.

My brother has DSM's on the summer wheels for his Merc. Now he's seen mine he doesn't want to put them near his car. Cant say I blame him tbh.

I hope they do. I would have had at least another 8-10k miles on them based on the tread wear. If it want for the cracks I would have seriously considered them again when the car needed a new set. Now I'll never buy them again. Neither will my brother. He wants to send his back too

Just been upstairs and checked my summer wheels.
These are 265/30/20 though and all good.
Maybe it's just 21 related because all Rosey for me.
Fronts are 3k miles
Rears on 10k
562d4e64c5e08536d5796d37ba40f8b8.jpg
a39514ec72c4309444330be192ee17c5.jpg
095a7d9798f41230078f66ab494f2b25.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Good stuff, glad they're ok. Keep an eye on them tho just in case (not that you should have to). Mine have 17/18mths and about 12k on them, but there's still plenty of life in them looking at the depth of the tread.

Maybe they are isolated to the 21", but it hasn't stopped me discounting them completely for any car I will ever own. Completely lost confidence in them tbh. My wife uses the car on a regular basis and drives our son to nursery in it. Doesn't bear thinking about

Reactions: CHEZ
Good stuff, glad they're ok. Keep an eye on them tho just in case (not that you should have to). Mine have 17/18mths and about 12k on them, but there's still plenty of life in them looking at the depth of the tread.

Maybe they are isolated to the 21", but it hasn't stopped me discounting them completely for any car I will ever own. Completely lost confidence in them tbh. My wife uses the car on a regular basis and drives our son to nursery in it. Doesn't bear thinking about

Oh I hear you loud and clear and totally sympathise with you.
Obviously we are not the only ones to run Dunlop sportmaxx in the UK, so it would be good to keep the thread updated in regards to Dunlop's feedback regarding this.

I will certainly update when I have some more to add . Maybe help someone in the same boat or just to help them make a more informed choice. I appreciate everyone's replies to this. May start another thread (which I'll link here too) on the new Michelins depending on my findings. There was another thread on tyres but it got closed as it got a little heated and abusive between a couple of members. Shame, it was quite a good read till it got out of hand

Wish I’d seen this thread this morning as I purchased a set of sportmaxx rt 2s to go on my new wheels. Tire size is 255/35/R19, hopefully I won’t have any issues

Honestly I really liked them as a tyre, and the more I look at cases, the more it looks like they may be related to the 21's..so I hope you guys ones are ok. If they turn out to be problematic over time then hopefully I will be able to update this with the whole process so you can use this as a guide if you need to return them. I guess all I can say now is to keep your receipt and try to keep track of mileage done with them on. Will be very interested to see what Dunlop say (if anything).

I've got the Michelins when I purchased the car, 18k miles on, fronts were on 2mm, rears 5mm. Audi advised I had to keep same make and quoted £270 each for 255/40/20. Local kwikfit did then for £204.

Well, the PS4S tyres came in last week and I got them fitted sharpish. Good looking tyre aesthetically and structurally. Got to say they are also worth every penny... SO smooth and quiet and I've barely driven 50 miles on them. Really surprises me even now (2 years into ownership) how non crashy this car is with such big wheels. Still madly in love with the land yacht :hearteyes:

IMG 20200326 224516 969

IMG 20200324 104645 copy 1368x1824

Piece of mind in knowing those Dunlops were off the car, now need to get them sent back to supplier and start the process.

Well, the PS4S tyres came in last week and I got them fitted sharpish. Good looking tyre aesthetically and structurally. Got to say they are also worth every penny... SO smooth and quiet and I've barely driven 50 miles on them. Really surprises me even now (2 years into ownership) how non crashy this car is with such big wheels. Still madly in love with the land yacht :hearteyes:

View attachment 199839

View attachment 199840

Piece of mind in knowing those Dunlops were off the car, now need to get them sent back to supplier and start the process.
...........same here. My RS6 is on the 21'' alloys & for a big wheel the ride is great. As before when these are worn i will definitely have them again.

How are you finding the wear on them? How many miles are you expecting? I think I got about 12/14k on the Dunlop’s, and they look like they have enough tread to do the same again

How are you finding the wear on them? How many miles are you expecting? I think I got about 12/14k on the Dunlop’s, and they look like they have enough tread to do the same again
.........they were on the car when i collected it. Car had 21,000 on the clock & the report that came with the car showed around 7mm on the tyres so there almost new. So far the wear has been good,not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Whats the situation on these Tures now.
Does it still happen?

If you have the 21's, I would invest in something else. The Michelins I have just put on are every penny worth the extra cost. Not spending extra on the brand here, but more an all round better tyre (as lots of testing shows). Definitely worth the extra £30/40 per corner

If you have the 21's, I would invest in something else. The Michelins I have just put on are every penny worth the extra cost. Not spending extra on the brand here, but more an all round better tyre (as lots of testing shows). Definitely worth the extra £30/40 per corner
..........When i did a quick price search on Black Circles, the MPS4's were actually cheaper than the Audi o.e spec Dunlop.Pirelli & Continental tyres. Mine are 21'' also.