1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Dunlop SPORTMAXX Cracked (& replacements)

AUDI_ADDICT Mar 8, 2020

1. AUDI_ADDICT

AUDI_ADDICT Active Member

Morning all, had these Sportmaxx RT's on my A7 for about 18 months, took the fronts off to change the xenon bulbs and noticed they both were developing cracks in the sidewalls

IMG_20200307_160211_copy_1094x1459.jpg IMG_20200307_160139_copy_1094x820.jpg IMG_20200307_160132_copy_1094x820.jpg

They've got about 14k miles on them, and a fair bit of tread left.

So for safety sake I am looking to change them out. I have seen there are quite a few more options in the 245/35/21 size which, according to willtheyfit.com are very close to the overall size and give minimal speedo error

Screenshot_20200308_081746_com.android.chrome_edit.jpg

Has anyone fitted similar, or could forsee any issues fitting these tyres over the 275/30's?

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Well the 275/245 number is the width of the tire, so you are significantly reducing the width/footprint of the tire when in contact with the ground.

Do you know how old the Dunlop’s are (there should be a manufacturing date on the tire) I’ve not seen sidewall cracking like that in all my years of driving.

Is there any reason you don’t exchange like for like (I’m on 20” rims as I’d heard of ride issues with the 21” set up)

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  4. Bishop187

Bishop187 Active Member

I’ve seen a few threads about Dunlop’s side walls cracking. I think it’s a common issue.

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

5. AUDI_ADDICT

Thanks for the reply RAF, there are a couple of reasons really...for some reason the Dunlop sidewall is very vertical (not that I like stretched tyres) which was different to the Contis they replaced so causes rubbing sometimes when you get a dip in the road with the car fully loaded. The other reasons are price and selection. After spending £500 on new brakes and another £1k on our A3 (which was about half the value of the car) recently I was looking at the 'not so premium' options. To be honest that's why there are Dunlops on it. After France some 18 months ago it was an expense I wasn't planning on so soon, and while they have been fine for 14k miles and the wear rate is good, they are pretty quiet and comfortable..to see these cracks are a bit of a worry

6. AUDI_ADDICT

Yea, typically I've only read about them now otherwise I would have made a more informed decision back then

7. AUDI_ADDICT

Strangely they only appear on the insides of the tyres. The outsides get cleaned regularly and have no cracks

8. AUDI_ADDICT

Checked the tyres today and..

IMG_20200308_165310_copy_1459x1094.jpg

So manufactured wk 10 2018 if I'm reading that right?

RAF_S7 and Gazwould like this.
  9. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Have a look on eBay for cost effective replacements, there are always deals to be had.

You will even find OEM alloys, including tires, for less that you’d pay for tires at KWIK-FIT etc.

Most tire places will charge you between £10-15 for fitting/disposal etc.

did your tire supplier offer any comment on your Dunlop’s?

10. AUDI_ADDICT

Nothing yet. Have sent pictures direct to Dunlop also. May also contact Audi for some advice if I don't get anywhere (which from reading other people's cases it doesn't sound like I'm going to)

RAF_S7 likes this.
  11. AUDI_ADDICT

Nothing from Dunlop, but had this back from the supplier

Thanks for the email. We can send the tyres away for a warranty inspection. I will enclose the warranty form for your to complete I will need one per tyre. Once the tyres are returned to us they will be sent back to Dunlop for examination. If the tyre is found to be faulty an age / wear related refund will issued to us which we will then pass onto you. If it is deem to be not a faulty tyre you can challenge the opinion and/or request the tyres back.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. AUDI_ADDICT

Here is the nearside rear I looked at yesterday

IMG_20200309_155602_copy_1094x1459.jpg

Crack running almost half the way round the tyre

14. Bishop187

Bishop187 Active Member

That does not look good. Don’t think it would pass an MOT like that. Hopefully they sort it.

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  15. AUDI_ADDICT

Funnily enough I was in R-Tec today to get the rear hubs re-threaded (don't ask) and the guy there said it probably wouldn't get through an MOT. Clearly a defective product. We'll see what they say when I send them back. Now...just the small task of finding £1k odd for a new set of boots

16. Bishop187

Bishop187 Active Member

What you gonna replace them with?

17. AUDI_ADDICT

Got my eye on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's

18. Bishop187

Bishop187 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Here’s a deal for ya. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's come to about ) £950 with fitting include. That’s 275/30/21 and u got a free amazon tab or spy for home too

19. AUDI_ADDICT

Thanks, ordered from Costco with £100 off 4 tyres. Came to £960

Bishop187 likes this.
  20. Bishop187

Bishop187 Active Member

Let me know what u think of them. They might be my next choice too.

21. AUDI_ADDICT

I've been trying to see what they look like on 9J alloys, as the Dunlop were VERY square shouldered.

This is all I have found. Appears to be a 275 30 on what I assume is a 9in wide wheel

Screenshot_20200313_172536.jpg

Bishop187 likes this.
  22. Bishop187

Bishop187 Active Member

Might be 9J but could also be 9.5

23. AUDI_ADDICT

I'll post some pictures of them when I've had them fitted along with some thoughts on how they feel and perform. On paper (and reviews) they are a very impressive trye

Bishop187 likes this.
  24. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing Supporter

Any news from Dunlop?

25. AUDI_ADDICT

Have to get the new tyres fitted first unfortunately. I have instructed them to retain the tyres as I need to send them back for inspection. Probably gonna be a couple of weeks yet.

My brother has DSM's on the summer wheels for his Merc. Now he's seen mine he doesn't want to put them near his car. Cant say I blame him tbh.

26. AUDI_ADDICT

I hope they do. I would have had at least another 8-10k miles on them based on the tread wear. If it want for the cracks I would have seriously considered them again when the car needed a new set. Now I'll never buy them again. Neither will my brother. He wants to send his back too

27. CHEZ

Just been upstairs and checked my summer wheels.
    These are 265/30/20 though and all good.
    Maybe it's just 21 related because all Rosey for me.
    Fronts are 3k miles
    Rears on 10k[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  28. AUDI_ADDICT

Good stuff, glad they're ok. Keep an eye on them tho just in case (not that you should have to). Mine have 17/18mths and about 12k on them, but there's still plenty of life in them looking at the depth of the tread.

Maybe they are isolated to the 21", but it hasn't stopped me discounting them completely for any car I will ever own. Completely lost confidence in them tbh. My wife uses the car on a regular basis and drives our son to nursery in it. Doesn't bear thinking about

CHEZ likes this.
  29. CHEZ

Oh I hear you loud and clear and totally sympathise with you.
    Obviously we are not the only ones to run Dunlop sportmaxx in the UK, so it would be good to keep the thread updated in regards to Dunlop's feedback regarding this.

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  30. AUDI_ADDICT

I will certainly update when I have some more to add . Maybe help someone in the same boat or just to help them make a more informed choice. I appreciate everyone's replies to this. May start another thread (which I'll link here too) on the new Michelins depending on my findings. There was another thread on tyres but it got closed as it got a little heated and abusive between a couple of members. Shame, it was quite a good read till it got out of hand

CHEZ likes this.
  31. Radford212

Radford212 Well-Known Member

Wish I’d seen this thread this morning as I purchased a set of sportmaxx rt 2s to go on my new wheels. Tire size is 255/35/R19, hopefully I won’t have any issues

32. AUDI_ADDICT

Honestly I really liked them as a tyre, and the more I look at cases, the more it looks like they may be related to the 21's..so I hope you guys ones are ok. If they turn out to be problematic over time then hopefully I will be able to update this with the whole process so you can use this as a guide if you need to return them. I guess all I can say now is to keep your receipt and try to keep track of mileage done with them on. Will be very interested to see what Dunlop say (if anything).

CHEZ likes this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. AUDI_ADDICT

The RT2's may be the new version (not sure tbh)

35. Sheroo

Sheroo New Member

I've got the Michelins when I purchased the car, 18k miles on, fronts were on 2mm, rears 5mm. Audi advised I had to keep same make and quoted £270 each for 255/40/20. Local kwikfit did then for £204.

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  36. AUDI_ADDICT

Well, the PS4S tyres came in last week and I got them fitted sharpish. Good looking tyre aesthetically and structurally. Got to say they are also worth every penny... SO smooth and quiet and I've barely driven 50 miles on them. Really surprises me even now (2 years into ownership) how non crashy this car is with such big wheels. Still madly in love with the land yacht :hearteyes:

IMG_20200326_224516_969.jpg

IMG_20200324_104645_copy_1368x1824.jpg

Piece of mind in knowing those Dunlops were off the car, now need to get them sent back to supplier and start the process.

Bishop187 likes this.
  37. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member

.........good choice. I'm on my first set of these BUT it won't be the last. Brilliant tyre.

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  38. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member

...........same here. My RS6 is on the 21'' alloys & for a big wheel the ride is great. As before when these are worn i will definitely have them again.

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  39. AUDI_ADDICT

How are you finding the wear on them? How many miles are you expecting? I think I got about 12/14k on the Dunlop’s, and they look like they have enough tread to do the same again

40. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member

.........they were on the car when i collected it. Car had 21,000 on the clock & the report that came with the car showed around 7mm on the tyres so there almost new. So far the wear has been good,not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.
  41. mickyh7

mickyh7 Guest

Whats the situation on these Tures now.
    Does it still happen?

42. AUDI_ADDICT

If you have the 21's, I would invest in something else. The Michelins I have just put on are every penny worth the extra cost. Not spending extra on the brand here, but more an all round better tyre (as lots of testing shows). Definitely worth the extra £30/40 per corner

43. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member

..........When i did a quick price search on Black Circles, the MPS4's were actually cheaper than the Audi o.e spec Dunlop.Pirelli & Continental tyres. Mine are 21'' also.

AUDI_ADDICT likes this.