Dull/Hazey Headlights

Raul_Breganzo

Reaction score
Hi

Recently purchased an A3.

One of my headlights looks dull compared to the other.

Other than toothpaste is there a better n permanent restoration?

Attachments

• IMG_8706.JPG
    IMG_8706.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 248
Sanding down with wet & dry paper using progressively fine grades works, takes s while to do and you need patience. There are plenty of YouTube videos on this. Other than that put a new headlight in from ECP, Good as oem imho.

Thanks guys, I've PM him.
Will also consider what's already been suggested re repairing it.

Have you used that product before?
t8ups has said repair will cost as much as replacing the light! Can't afford that :)
I did buy it with full intentions of using it on a previous car, but before I got around to using it the car annoyed me to the point where I advertised it for sale and sold it the same day.
I ended up giving the kit to a friend, I'll have to ask them if they used it or not.
There are loads of videos on Youtube showing you how to get the most of it, so have a look on there before you buy it.

I did buy it with full intentions of using it on a previous car, but before I got around to using it the car annoyed me to the point where I advertised it for sale and sold it the same day.
I ended up giving the kit to a friend, I'll have to ask them if they used it or not.
There are loads of videos on Youtube showing you how to get the most of it, so have a look on there before you buy it.

Lol - must have annoyed you a lot - the car!
Do ask if you don't mind please - personal recommendation is always good!
I've seen the videos, most speak of the spray you require after sanding it down etc. I don't mind buying the spray, just want a proven 1.

I spent a small fortune trying to prevent a massive smoke issue, and never got to the bottom of it.
Then a hose split which was expensive and tricky to repair, so that annoyed me and then the clutch slipped once which inspired me to sell it quickly.
I advertised it on a sunday morning and it was gone that afternoon.

I'll ask him about it next time I see him. As for the spray, I thought it came with it in the box. I can't imagine it's any different to the spray from a clay bar kit, it's main purpose is to lubricate.

Find a local detailer, a mate in exmouth does the pair for £30
33524369 10156356703650489 8961554137615433728 n
33663725 10156356703750489 1300039239894827008 n

I spent a small fortune trying to prevent a massive smoke issue, and never got to the bottom of it.
Then a hose split which was expensive and tricky to repair, so that annoyed me and then the clutch slipped once which inspired me to sell it quickly.
I advertised it on a sunday morning and it was gone that afternoon.

I'll ask him about it next time I see him. As for the spray, I thought it came with it in the box. I can't imagine it's any different to the spray from a clay bar kit, it's main purpose is to lubricate.

Dave, just text your mate and find out? Lol

Just ask on local car sites for a detailer

Posted using a S8+ with Magic

Dave, just text your mate and find out? Lol
I could. Or you could be patient and understand that other people have different priorities in life ;)
I'll ask him when I see him next, but you can search online for more info. Amazon would be a good place to start if Youtube doesn't have the answers.

just a question...are you sure your problem is on the outside of the lens or inside. If inside, you need a new light assembly. it looks like its on the inside

I could. Or you could be patient and understand that other people have different priorities in life ;)
I'll ask him when I see him next, but you can search online for more info. Amazon would be a good place to start if Youtube doesn't have the answers.

It's a text for gods sake; don't bother asking him if it's too much trouble!

Reactions: monopole
I had a mobile headlight restore guy come out to take a look at my light... Straight away goes it's pretty obvious the headlight to the left is a new headlight! There's also a label clearly stating when it was made lol - 2016 whilst the dull headlight is the original that came with the car 12/2011 - my bad!

As for restoring the guy kindly polished and waxed it for free saying he can't repair it unless he cleans the inside which he only does for his own cars n not customers.
He could've made it a bit better by taking a layer of plastic off but in the long run it's not worth it.

A genuine, honest guy. Wish there were more guys like him in the motor trade!

Going to leave the light as until I can pick a new 1 up at a bargain price lol

Any recommended shops?