Dual climate control - passenger side cold

kpm278

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with a cold passenger side. Car is UK model. I plugged in VCDS....

With both controls set at 22 degrees:
Left front vent temp = 15 degrees
Left specified temperature = 22 degrees
Right front vent temp = 22 degrees
Right specified temperature = 15 degrees

So it seems the right dial is only calling for 15 degrees despite what the screen says, and it puts out 15 degrees on the left vent....?

I tried at different temperatures on the display and right specified temperature remained at 15 and left vents remained cold.

I don't know the plug setup on the back of the CC unit - is it possible the plugs are in the wrong place? Or car thinks its a left hand drive model?

Thanks, Kristian

Firstly i am guessing for what u have put in post you have a RHD and looks like your car could be set up for LHD .
If i mind in a post ( Q3 climate control a3 / s3 8p section ) there was something in that post that explained how you could change it over . So might be worth a read . With out knowing what your CC looks like its hard to say if plugs are in the wrong place , i do know when i did the Q3 retrofit in my S3 8p i had to remove old back off 8p CC and put on new CC so the plugs fitted .

Hi, the cross-reading seems to have sorted itself out with a vcds update, now it reads:

With both controls set at 22 degrees:
Left front vent temp = 15 degrees
Left specified temperature = 15 degrees
Right front vent temp = 22 degrees
Right specified temperature = 22 degrees

The car has been into the garage today and they've been unable to diagnose the problem. Not sure where to look now. Is it worth swapping the vent sensors over? I suspect not as the left hand side is reading the temperature correctly. Flap values are apparently fine. They suggested the arm may have come away from the motor but were unable to sight this without pulling more dashboard apart. I've had a look myself and where I was expecting to see multicoloured arms and motors, I think I can see one motor and no coloured arms. I pushed them to flush the system and they remarked the heater matrix was getting hot as expected with no other signs of a blocked matrix.

Does anyone know the internals of the heater matrix? Is there one hot air feed into the car or two? If there's two its possible one is blocked I suppose.

Thanks

to add.... the passenger side temperature can go as low as 9.5 and it will show signs of heating up when you crank the dial up, but it only gets to around 16/17 and goes no higher.

to add.... the passenger side temperature can go as low as 9.5 and it will show signs of heating up when you crank the dial up, but it only gets to around 16/17 and goes no higher.
Did you ever get this fixed!? I have the same issue. Mines on a 2012 Avant A6.

The drivers side is cold despite the temps it's set too the passenger side is warm and can be changed no problems

When I had the glove box out and the drivers side panel I could see all the little motors moving ect but it doesn't seem that one Motor is specifically for heating which is annoying..or at least the one I suspect is heating is working fully with what I believe to be full range of movement.

I suspect a blocked heater matrix as well but I can feel the heater matrix pipes getting hot so I'm wondering also how the heater matrix is linked up internally. Does it have a series of parallel pipes from top to bottom or does it have one pipe in series running from inlet right through to the outlet?

Cheers Craig.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi, yes the heater matrix was replaced and problem resolved. Afraid I don’t know about the internals. I would have asked to see the old one if the garage weren’t such miserable sods.

great...How much was it to get the heater matrix replaced? im thinking about trying to give mine a clean with some sort of cleaner. It can only help or do nothing.