DTUK TCU+ gearbox flash review

How can I order TCU unit? I can only box and pedalbox on the website :)

Do I have to plug this unit for some time or drive with it every day?

Reactions: NevMan
How can I order TCU unit? I can only box and pedalbox on the website :)

Do I have to plug this unit for some time or drive with it every day?

Just DM @ABYSS. They aren’t in the website yet. No, plug in once and flash gets done.

Well I’ve ordered!
Should have it tomorrow, but will be the weekend before I can play!
....looking at the pedal box now:friendly wink:

Reactions: Riko0073, cuke2u and NevMan
Well I’ve ordered!
Should have it tomorrow, but will be the weekend before I can play!
....looking at the pedal box now:friendly wink:
Careful, once hooked empty wallet...

Reactions: SMI77, Keef and NevMan
Today did a 370 mile round trip, being the first long trip with the DTUK trilogy. Included 65mph cruising on a dual carriageway where the S4 purred along with gear changes like they should have happened from new. Also sections of single lane with short overtaking lanes. Here, kickdown in "D" from 50-75mph was so amazingly quick.
...speaking of empty wallets, when I had to declare I was buying the TCU Tune, the wife said 'OK, starting now, what you spend on the wagon, I want to spend the equivalent!' Typically, she actually spent more!!

Reactions: paul wev, cuke2u and NevMan
Today did a 370 mile round trip, being the first long trip with the DTUK trilogy. Included 65mph cruising on a dual carriageway where the S4 purred along with gear changes like they should have happened from new. Also sections of single lane with short overtaking lanes. Here, kickdown in "D" from 50-75mph was so amazingly quick.
...speaking of empty wallets, when I had to declare I was buying the TCU Tune, the wife said 'OK, starting now, what you spend on the wagon, I want to spend the equivalent!' Typically, she actually spent more!!

Brilliant mate, "DTUK Trilogy" :chuncky:

Reactions: cuke2u

great feedback, and hopefully the wife didn't spent too much :)

Reactions: cuke2u, Keef and NevMan
Has anyone used this on an RS5/RS4?

we've sent a couple to Japan, and one to Australia but nothing in the UK (yet).

Im sure the RS4/5 uses the same 8 speed ZF box used in the S4/5/SQ5

Reactions: Daggerit
It does indeed mate. Glad to se you’re still going strong. The whole VerticalScope Scirocco-net thing seems like a lifetime ago.

Keen to know a bit more about what this actually does to the ZF software in terms of torque limits and how it cures the lag from a technical point of view.

I’ve just added a discount code that will reduce the cost of the TCUs by 15% :)

This is a limited time offer and is available by simply adding TCU15 at checkout ....

Same as RS4? Dont’t the S4’s have ZF8HP55 (max 550nm) and RS4 the HP70 (700 nm)?

I’ve just added a discount code that will reduce the cost of the TCUs by 15% :)

This is a limited time offer and is available by simply adding TCU15 at checkout ....

Oh that is very tempting. Urge to remove lag is strong.

Oh that is very tempting. Urge to remove lag is strong.
trust me mate, you won't regret it. I "only" have a q5 with 252 (of 300 with DTUK box) and the TCU+ has transformed the gear changes!

I have noticed on my s4 that the throttle response in standard D mode is not as instantaneous as it was in my M135i. I often switch to S mode at junctions etc to compensate for this lag.

will this overcome this issue.

also i understand that it cant be ordered online?

well that was quick - Andrew has responsed already - just need to decide whether to go for it now. My fear is that my car will be the exception that breaks the gearbox

well that was quick - Andrew has responsed already - just need to decide whether to go for it now. My fear is that my car will be the exception that breaks the gearbox
mate, you are a big time procrastinator. Audi can't trace the TCU flash anyway, so no need to worry.

I have noticed on my s4 that the throttle response in standard D mode is not as instantaneous as it was in my M135i. I often switch to S mode at junctions etc to compensate for this lag.

will this overcome this issue.

also i understand that it cant be ordered online?

My s4 suffers from the same lag. What was Andrew's response?

My s4 suffers from the same lag. What was Andrew's response?

As a fellow S4 owner I can tell you helps a little bit I’m not sure that part of it is night and day. The speed of down shifts is noticeably better as well as slow speed shifts which I found to be a little jerky originally. The pedal box would probably be better for lag, or a tuning box as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just installing my TCU+. It's having its 5min engine idle as we speak then good to go. 7mins from start to finish!

Looking forward to driving it and seeing the results. Will report back

Reactions: NevMan and cuke2u
I’ll be doing mine today at some point as well. Retrofitting Park Assist first!

Reactions: WesT-gefül and cuke2u
Just installing my TCU+. It's having its 5min engine idle as we speak then good to go. 7mins from start to finish!

Looking forward to driving it and seeing the results. Will report back

@Evil Derboy How did you get on with Park Assist? I find the side sensors are ridiculously sensitive when reversing round corners etc and i'm planning on switching them off of the visual / audio display due to this so they only function for the PLA.

Here is a brief review of my experiences so far of the TCU+ after I installed it on Saturday.

Note, I have only done 35 miles so far and I understand it is still in learning/training mode. What follows are my subjective experiences, I have not measured anything nor am I an expert in the subject area, far from it in fact. Actually it is the first mod I have ever put on any car I have owned.

I have only the TCU+ on my S4 B9 which is 1 year old - no tuning box nor the pedal box.

I have to say that so far I am a little disappointed. The main reason for me purchasing the TCU+ was to remove a lot of the gearbox lag, eg when pulling up to a roundabout and then quickly accelerating. Previously there could be 0.5s-1s of delay (unless in Sport) which just ****** me off constantly. I feel there is now a slight improvement, but not a huge amount and definitely not night and day as others have suggested.

Things I have noticed:
  • As above, small reduction of gearbox lag when not in Sport mode- a random guess, maybe 20% better? The lag is definitely still very annoying.
  • Sport gearbox is smoother - it doesnt hang on to the gears as much which makes it more easy to leave the gearbox in Sport all the time - this then removes most of the lag.
  • Smoother gear changes, not hugely noticeable for me though.
I suspect some of my concerns come down to having too high expectations. Also hoping after a few more miles it will bed in more. Right now I am on the fence if it is fully worth the £370 I paid.

Interested to hear other peoples opinions on this. Cheers!

I installed mine yesterday. Not done much in the way of miles but I cannot tell any difference what-so-ever.

How many people have shelled out a few hundred quid for this and then are trying to convince themselves that they are experiencing a difference?

I installed mine yesterday. Not done much in the way of miles but I cannot tell any difference what-so-ever.

How many people have shelled out a few hundred quid for this and then are trying to convince themselves that they are experiencing a difference?

I think I might be in this mode right now! Haha.

Nope, definitely a difference here, perhaps you are just in a group of people who find it hard to detect any changes? ;-) Yours is still in its learning mode too I expect, plus your gearbox is different to mine...

I’m open-minded but at the end of the day, the gearbox as standard has a “learning mode”. That’s not a feature of the TCU flash tool. It’s just resetting it as part of what it does so you’re on a clean slate with the new map. I got my car new so the box was on a clean slate and has adapted to my driving not a previous owners. I’ve only done 5000 miles since I picked the car up, so surely i should be able to feel a difference between now and when I first got it. Truth is I can’t. I’ve not measured or timed how long it takes to upshift etc but if it’s simply a case that it holds the revs longer in Sport then for me it’s not worth the money.

I suppose you’ll never get a slush box to be as quick as a DCT but BMW seems to do better with the same box than Audi.

Last edited:
The adaptive 'learning' capability of a Tiptronic tranny has somehow become a distorted Audi myth.

The adaptive function is over a fairly short time frame, so if you decide to have a bit of fun, or hitch a trailer on the back, start climbing a big hill/mountain the transmission will adapt to the conditions it encounters, that's it - no more.

It doesn't distinguish between drivers, length of time you have owned the car or anything other than prevailing driving conditions.