DTUK TCU+ gearbox flash review

Coming from a 3.0Tdi Stronic 7, I feel the torque converter "slips" much more than the Stronic - when starting from standing still.

Sometimes I feel like an old lady dragging my foot on the clutch pedal.

Any change on this with the TCU flash from DTUK?

After driving cars for 43 years, some as a mechanic, the odds are high I have experienced every type of gearbox...

Reactions: NevMan
After driving cars for 43 years, some as a mechanic, the odds are high I have experienced every type of gearbox...
Of course you do, I wasn't questioning that, I meant if you had tried the S4 B9 with this flash and if the slippage was reduced. Thank you for you input!

Reactions: Daggerit and NevMan
I find the initial take off in first gear has less slippage but others think there’s more. The consensus is that the response is much improved from a standstill though, regardless of how much slippage people think is being experienced.

With the ZF automatic transmissions you’ll always have an element of it for the exact reason @cuke2u stated. In a hydraulic torque converter there’s only so much you can do before the lockup engages I’d say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Filipão and cuke2u
Of course you do, I wasn't questioning that, I meant if you had tried the S4 B9 with this flash and if the slippage was reduced. Thank you for you input!
Apologies for the miscommunication, no I cannot say I have tried this engine/gearbox combination as I don't own a S4..

Reactions: Filipão
I find the initial take off in first gear has less slippage but others think there’s more. The consensus is that the response is much improved from a standstill though, regardless of how much slippage people think is being experienced.

With the ZF automatic transmissions you’ll always have an element of it for the exact reason @cuke2u stated. In a hydraulic torque converter there’s only so much you can do before the lockup engages I’d say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, a characteristic of a torque converter cannot be engineered out totally..

Reactions: Filipão and Daggerit
Just thought I'd add to this post - brought a DTUK pedal box on Friday and was delivered on Saturday.

Many thanks to the guys at DTUK for their speedy delivery!

I've put it on the lowest setting plus 3 and it really compliments the tcu tune.

This to me is like the icing on the cake - so much easier to drive and the throttle still has a natural feel ( the higher settings are too jerky)

Met a c63s at the lights and had the better of him up to about 60mph where he started pulling away.

Very very impressed with the pedal box. U can't just choose one over the other as they all work so seamlessly together.

Reactions: cuke2u and Riko0073
I get something like this and it would be my main reason for getting the DTUK mod. I've never bothered to mention it here because I simply can't replicate it. I can't say for sure what setting, or whether using D or S causes it. I've a feeling that it happens rarely into AUTO/D, but I'd probably say the same about DYNAMIC/D or S. It's just not consistent enough to put your finger on. I've even considered it could be caused by the rate of deceleration i.e. a long gentle approach to a junction is less likely to feel jerky.

Regardless of how or why it happens though, I most certainly experience it. Sometimes it's like feeling a very definite downshift, but other times more like that, plus a dab on the brakes as well. Maybe it's just one of those things and nobody is bothered enough to mention it.

One thing I am certain of though, the S-tronic in my B7 2.0 tfsi was more responsive on pulling away, and far, far smoother going both up and down the gears.
Hi yes what you say is just what im getting ive got it booked into audi 0n 4 oct for a diagnostic to see if they can find anything.

I’ve just ordered the tuning box and TCU flash, delivery expected Tuesday...can’t wait!

Will fit the box first to see the benefit of that and then the TCU probably on Friday.

Really looking forward to enjoying the improvements of both and give the S4 that extra performance to make it a real super sleeper.

Oh and the extra carbon bits over the next few weeks to add some subtle styling queues...who needs an RS4!! Lol

Reactions: Filipão, cuke2u and NevMan
some more feedback from an s4 Owner

Ok Gents I just went for a brisk 20 mile drive on some fast A roads. I’ll reserve writing a full review until I’ve done a few hundred miles but I will say of the 5000 miles I’ve put on my car from new I think the last 20 I just did were the most enjoyable. I test drove a new Panamera 4S recently which ironically basically has the same 2.9L V6 engine in as the B9 S4/5 and my gearbox now feels and behaves like it did in the Porsche. Manual is now completely sublime, you can feel the extra torque in all driving modes and the changes are smoother both at low speed and when pressing on. I’ll report back again when I’ve done some more mileage but initial impressions are if you’re sitting on the fence about this don’t, just do it.

The Panamera S does have a 2.9L V6, but actually is the twin turbo Porsche motor, as in the B9 RS4, with a new 8-speed dual-clutch automatic. They are not the same engine.
Not having driven a B9 RS4, is it correct that one cannot tell the difference between the 2 motors from the drivers seat? Just asking.

Just thought I'd add to this post - brought a DTUK pedal box on Friday and was delivered on Saturday.

Many thanks to the guys at DTUK for their speedy delivery!

I've put it on the lowest setting plus 3 and it really compliments the tcu tune.

This to me is like the icing on the cake - so much easier to drive and the throttle still has a natural feel ( the higher settings are too jerky)

Met a c63s at the lights and had the better of him up to about 60mph where he started pulling away.

Very very impressed with the pedal box. U can't just choose one over the other as they all work so seamlessly together.

glad youre happy with it Syed, my advice is to try the other settings once youre moving and you should be able to fart on the throttle and hit warp speed :)

glad youre happy with it Syed, my advice is to try the other settings once youre moving and you should be able to fart on the throttle and hit warp speed :)

I have lol, the other settings are silly responsive!

I think I'll stay with green plus 3 for now as I'm very happy with the way the response is now almost instantaneous.

It also delivers the torque very smoothly on the green setting plus 3.

Sport and sport plus punches you through the face with the response time, a little too much for daily driving :p

@ABYSS - received Mon. - Ultra quick, UK to Oz. Now installed. With sedate driving the gear changes are what they should be OEM – smooth & no fuss.
Gave it welly in ‘D’ and it downshifts much, much quicker. Gave it welly in ’S’ and it really lifts its skirt and this was only a short urban drive, but :sign wow:
Scott is also rapt with the auto tune his ML63 AMG.
Many thanks.

Reactions: NevMan, cuke2u, paul wev and 1 other person
just an quick update, we've just been given the option of "Paypal Credit" even though the items aren't on our website yet :)

Mine tuned up today, will give it a try tonight after work...

Reactions: Daggerit, NevMan and cuke2u
Installed my tuning box today at work, planning a nice detour drive home, and will look to install TCU+ later in the week or over weekend

Reactions: Riko0073, cuke2u and Daggerit
Installed my tuning box today at work, planning a nice detour drive home, and will look to install TCU+ later in the week or over weekend
Same here @q5man, taking her for a blast in a bit.

Starting off on P1 at zero as recommended and then use the +|- to tweak each setting gradually to find the right setting for me.

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
First impression after 40 miles is that the TCU update seems to allow for more torque conversion at lower revs and has shifted some of the shift points down, so in comfort D you can make nice effortless progress. Then once you get on it in Dynamic S, the shifts seem a little less savage (tuning box is set to 2-0) but still a bit jerky on full throttle release at times. Manual mode seemed a fair bit nicer to use but its hard to be scientific and the placebo effect is a possibility.

Some feedback from a couple of customers..

Hi guys,

Just thought I would give you a quick review on the TCU+

I have had the box for a week now just wanted to get a good bit of use out of it before I reviewed.

As I already had the CRD3 + tri channel box and a pedal box I wondered if it was necessary to buy the gearbox flash but I took a gamble and was pleasantly surprised, in eco mode it’s smooth and pics up low rev range better than before. Sport is very good and manual is lethal!! Such fast gear changes for a diesel. Very impressed I feel my car now drives exactly how I wanted it to. Very happy!

Car: Mercedes c350 cdi 265ps

Quick feedback on our side of the pond.
On B9 SQ5 have everything DTUK, from tuning box , pedalbox, and now TCU tune.
Though only have about 30-40 miles into it. It mainly wifey’s ride.
Things I notices..
Gears run smoothly on normal city drive.
Gears change quicker. But that still all depend on the driving condition. Little throttle will still have slow shift, but quicker than stock
Definitely feel the there is more Torque. Especially at lower RPM.
When gears changes. The delay is gone. And power comes instantly.

Did not have a chance to drive it like a Maniac yet.

Once I get more miles on it, I will report again.

Reactions: Riko0073 and NevMan
After about 50 miles I am thoroughly impressed with the product and now very happy with the gearbox. I always thought it did not seem quite as fluid as the Jaguar 6 speeds considering the 8 speed was supposed to be smother.
I had one bad change about 2 miles after the flash but has been great since. Drove home this evening in dynamic and does seem smoother up and down gears.

Makes me wonder Audi did program the gearbox correctly but on the S4/S5 seems to have been implemented by someone who had been out on the pop on a Friday afternoon!

If you have an S4 you need this in your life.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daggerit, scotty76 and NevMan
****** hell, expensive day.

Just ordered:

View attachment 165382

And the App Control + the TCU Tune.

Will report back when all fitted and tested...nervous about this bit!

Thanks for the help @ABYSS
WOW! Driving in this morning (in the rain), and booted it slightly down a long hill, some serious serious acceleration, the likes of which I have not experienced in this car before. Traction light even flickered briefly, until quatrro kicked in I gather.

Oh, and gearbox wasn't even in sport or anything, and setting currently on 1:1...f*ck me!

Any doubters out there that don't have S3/S4/S5 or the other high powered cars....GO FOR IT, you WILL NOT regret it, get a tuning box...

When I add the TCU+, I will report back, but want to have a bit more of a play.

I just want to leave work and go for a loooong (quick) drive:racer:

Reactions: Riko0073 and Daggerit
I've had the traction control flash up in the dry in my car, it's actually pretty satisfying knowing you have enough power to spin up all four wheels in decent conditions. :)

Glad you're enjoying it, the TCU tune will make it nicer to drive and you might find that it'll allow more torque through the transmission and feel faster in the mid range as well.

Reactions: scotty76 and NevMan
I've had the traction control flash up in the dry in my car, it's actually pretty satisfying knowing you have enough power to spin up all four wheels in decent conditions. :)

Glad you're enjoying it, the TCU tune will make it nicer to drive and you might find that it'll allow more torque through the transmission and feel faster in the mid range as well.
I am sure you do, just a little more power than me :whistle2:
Agree, will have a play with modes (all set to 1, but really only tried P1 so far).

Will then add TCU :icon thumright:

Reactions: Daggerit
After about 50 miles I am thoroughly impressed with the product and now very happy with the gearbox. I always thought it did not seem quite as fluid as the Jaguar 6 speeds considering the 8 speed was supposed to be smother.
I had one bad change about 2 miles after the flash but has been great since. Drove home this evening in dynamic and does seem smoother up and down gears.

Makes me wonder Audi did program the gearbox correctly but on the S4/S5 seems to have been implemented by someone who had been out on the pop on a Friday afternoon!

If you have an S4 you need this in your life.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Great feedback :) But now you need extra power to take advantage of the better gearbox

Ok so I’ve been reading this and I’m keen to say the least!
But I’ve never done anything like this before with my new cars as I’m such a nervous nelly on warrantees.

Can the gearbox be ‘flashed’ back to the original settings? I mean by me and not the dealers?
I also like the idea of the pedal box & tuning box - sorry if I missed it, but is anyone running all 3 components together?
My S4 has enough power for me, but the throttle response and hesitation has always bugged me.

Reactions: scotty76 and NevMan
But I’ve never done anything like this before with my new cars as I’m such a nervous nelly on warrantees.

Can the gearbox be ‘flashed’ back to the original settings? I mean by me and not the dealers?
I also like the idea of the pedal box & tuning box - sorry if I missed it, but is anyone running all 3 components together?
My S4 has enough power for me, but the throttle response and hesitation has always bugged me.

Nope, only dealer could “flash” back to original but they wouldn’t know it had been flashed in the 1st place. From what I have read tcu+ makes massive difference for s4/s5 owners removing lag. I have tuning box and tcu+ but have only installed tuning box on Monday...wow! Tcu to follow once I have got used to this so can discern difference. And just remove box when car goes into Audi. Tell your insurance though, only added £17.24 a year for me

Reactions: Keef

Same here, the power is fine but the hesitation (particularly on the gearbox), is annoying.
Ordered the TCU today so let's see if it helps.

Reactions: Keef and NevMan