DTUK TCU+ gearbox flash review

Daggerit

Reaction score
I thought that since I'd been running the gearbox tune from DTUK on my S4 for a while now I'd give some feedback so others can decide if it's a good option for them.

Basically it feels like it's tightened up the gear shifts. Downshifts are significantly faster and therefore smoother and I've found that it's much smoother when travelling slowly and in traffic. I've also noticed with the 'butt dyno' that the pull in gear is stronger, potentially being down to the torque limiters being raised slightly to let more of the available power through.

Thankfully, the most annoying aspect of the gearbox has also been addressed by the tune. The initial lag is better, but the transition from braking to accelerating (like when approaching a roundabout or junction) is night and day. My car used to pogo if you tried to get on the power immediately after being on the brakes but this doesn't happen anymore thankfully.

I can't comment on the outright speed of the upshifts being faster as advertised because I've not had the chance to do a full launch control (that's the only time I noticed the shifts felt sluggish), but I'd imagine that much of the smoothing at low speeds is down to the shift speed being increased.

For installation it took all of 6 minutes and that included the 5 minutes for allowing idling of the engine afterwards.

All in, I'd definitely recommend it if you have the spare cash and it can be supplied for most makes of cars rather than just Audi. It also works with S-tronic and has similar positive effect by all accounts!

If you decide to buy, feel free to mention you read this review and it might get you some money off. ;)

If you have any questions about my experience of it, just ask! :)

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tcu-gearbox-flash-tool/

Reactions: Riko0073, A12RNX, SMI77 and 3 others
I wish you guys would stop making me spend money.

It is on my future shopping list.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riko0073
I thought that since I'd been running the gearbox tune from DTUK on my S4 for a while now I'd give some feedback so others can decide if it's a good option for them.

Basically it feels like it's tightened up the gear shifts. Downshifts are significantly faster and therefore smoother and I've found that it's much smoother when travelling slowly and in traffic. I've also noticed with the 'butt dyno' that the pull in gear is stronger, potentially being down to the torque limiters being raised slightly to let more of the available power through.

Thankfully, the most annoying aspect of the gearbox has also been addressed by the tune. The initial lag is better, but the transition from braking to accelerating (like when approaching a roundabout or junction) is night and day. My car used to pogo if you tried to get on the power immediately after being on the brakes but this doesn't happen anymore thankfully.

I can't comment on the outright speed of the upshifts being faster as advertised because I've not had the chance to do a full launch control (that's the only time I noticed the shifts felt sluggish), but I'd imagine that much of the smoothing at low speeds is down to the shift speed being increased.

For installation it took all of 6 minutes and that included the 5 minutes for allowing idling of the engine afterwards.

All in, I'd definitely recommend it if you have the spare cash and it can be supplied for most makes of cars rather than just Audi. It also works with S-tronic and has similar positive effect by all accounts!

If you decide to buy, feel free to mention you read this review and it might get you some money off. ;)

If you have any questions about my experience of it, just ask! :)

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tcu-gearbox-flash-tool/

Let us know when you can try Launch control!

In theory it should launch better but I'm just curious to see if you have the same issue as me.

Mine still not working, before the flash it would rev to 3500rpm and take off.

One thing I noticed after the flash is that it only revs to 3200rpm and doesn't feel like a proper launch.

Weird that the flat out acceleration feels stronger..

Reactions: Daggerit
How does this stand for being detectable if there's a warrenty issue with the gearbox/engine?

I haven't had any experience with it going into Audi after the tune so I can't comment first hand I'm afraid. I've searched the interwebs though and not managed to find a single negative review of these units (used TMC's version as a search as well and it was the same) which I think these days is pretty impressive.

They are advertised as not being detectable though and from what I've read they don't fully overwrite the software, it's more of a modification, so it doesn't change the update counter and remains undetectable as a result. :)

Reactions: SMI77

In theory it should launch better but I'm just curious to see if you have the same issue as me.

One thing I noticed after the flash is that it only revs to 3200rpm and doesn't feel like a proper launch.

Will do. I'm not sure when that will be but I'll update once I have!

Reactions: syed123

It is on my future shopping list.

Were offering discounts on these are present, so maybe an early Christmas present :)

Reactions: cuke2u and Daggerit
I totally concur with Daggerits findings and thank him for doing this review, saves me the trouble!
Just to add, I have been driving mine around in all the different modes and found the downshifts virtually indetectable with only increased engine braking detecting the change in gear. At first I had to look down at the gear indicator so I could tell which one I was in.

As far as detection is concerned I would think it is extremely doubtful if any dealership could detect it even if there was a gearbox failure.

It is also linked to the car's VIN so no passing it on to anyone else once used.

I would say the impact this device has had, coupled with DTUK's tuning box, is the easiest and most economic way of extracting good performance from the car.

Reactions: Deleted member 133011, Manity, Daggerit and 1 other person
Actually, I was formerly on a Subaru forum. Whenever a new member joined, the most popular posts were "Welcome, trust you brought your wallet with you, because you may think you won't need it, but rest assured, you will". It gets into your blood.
You know, with all this new found power, tune box & TCU tune, you could still spend more money and have that power come quicker, via a Pedal box!!!

Reactions: Kondax and cuke2u
****** hell, expensive day.

Just ordered:

Upload 2018 9 13 17 6 57

And the App Control + the TCU Tune.

Will report back when all fitted and tested...nervous about this bit!

Thanks for the help @ABYSS

Reactions: Riko0073, A4A4, ABYSS and 2 others
I have all of those and look forward to your thoughts about them too...

Reactions: NevMan
I don't use WhatsApp but was my review on TrustPilot ok?
It was thank you sir :)

We’re still dealing with Danielle as she started emailing under the name of Robert and I realised it was her so called her out.. (I’ve got a 6th sense for bull)

For the last 3 days we’ve been trying to take money off her for a loom and TCU, and it’s been hard work as she doesn’t use PayPal and wants it shipping via a not signed for service ...

I totally concur with Daggerits findings and thank him for doing this review, saves me the trouble!
Just to add, I have been driving mine around in all the different modes and found the downshifts virtually indetectable with only increased engine braking detecting the change in gear. At first I had to look down at the gear indicator so I could tell which one I was in.

As far as detection is concerned I would think it is extremely doubtful if any dealership could detect it even if there was a gearbox failure.

It is also linked to the car's VIN so no passing it on to anyone else once used.

I would say the impact this device has had, coupled with DTUK's tuning box, is the easiest and most economic way of extracting good performance from the car.
hi i have a 2018 190 tfsi auto same as yours how does the flash deal with the excessive engine braking that seems to affect the car sometimes when almost coming to a stop i.e. 3rd to 2nd. i didnt get it on my 2016 A6 same gearbox but ive seen other threads relating to this problem cheers. Alan

For anyone who has the DTUK TCU or anyone considering it , we’ve set up a WhatsApp group for first hand feedback

https://chat.whatsapp.com/61IAjXjGfY8EMsR1oGrJVN
already useful feedback for me from this group, and I don't even have the product in my hands yet :icon thumright:
One member already posted some actual pictures of fitting locations for Q5, as I was panicking that I needed to jack the car up to get to boost sensor :scared2:

I don't use WhatsApp but was my review on TrustPilot ok?
more about just asking questions/getting feedback from existing users, as I said, already been very good (and quick) answers to my queries.

You probably don't need, as a happy user, unless you wanted to evangelise on there, but then you don't use WhatsApp :thumbs up:

Reactions: cuke2u
hi i have a 2018 190 tfsi auto same as yours how does the flash deal with the excessive engine braking that seems to affect the car sometimes when almost coming to a stop i.e. 3rd to 2nd. i didnt get it on my 2016 A6 same gearbox but ive seen other threads relating to this problem cheers. Alan
I have never experienced excessive engine braking at all, so I can't really comment, and I can't say I recall any other owners commenting on this either in here or in AudiWorld.
I don't think you have the same gearbox as your A6 had either as the gearbox for ours is a dl-382 developed for the A4 and manufactured in China...

more about just asking questions/getting feedback from existing users, as I said, already been very good (and quick) answers to my queries.

You probably don't need, as a happy user, unless you wanted to evangelise on there, but then you don't use WhatsApp :thumbs up:
I have always been happy with the response I've received from dtuk, and informed them of this, but I am not about to start using WhatsApp just to do so..

One member already posted some actual pictures of fitting locations for Q5, as I was panicking that I needed to jack the car up to get to boost sensor :scared2:
I checked this out with dtuk before I purchased, as I prefer to get it from the horses mouth ;-) and almost immediately I had a response with pictures. As always a excellent service...

I have never experienced excessive engine braking at all, so I can't really comment, and I can't say I recall any other owners commenting on this either in here or in AudiWorld.
I don't think you have the same gearbox as your A6 had either as the gearbox for ours is a dl-382 developed for the A4 and manufactured in China...
I get something like this and it would be my main reason for getting the DTUK mod. I've never bothered to mention it here because I simply can't replicate it. I can't say for sure what setting, or whether using D or S causes it. I've a feeling that it happens rarely into AUTO/D, but I'd probably say the same about DYNAMIC/D or S. It's just not consistent enough to put your finger on. I've even considered it could be caused by the rate of deceleration i.e. a long gentle approach to a junction is less likely to feel jerky.

Regardless of how or why it happens though, I most certainly experience it. Sometimes it's like feeling a very definite downshift, but other times more like that, plus a dab on the brakes as well. Maybe it's just one of those things and nobody is bothered enough to mention it.

One thing I am certain of though, the S-tronic in my B7 2.0 tfsi was more responsive on pulling away, and far, far smoother going both up and down the gears.

I get something like this and it would be my main reason for getting the DTUK mod. I've never bothered to mention it here because I simply can't replicate it. I can't say for sure what setting, or whether using D or S causes it. I've a feeling that it happens rarely into AUTO/D, but I'd probably say the same about DYNAMIC/D or S. It's just not consistent enough to put your finger on. I've even considered it could be caused by the rate of deceleration i.e. a long gentle approach to a junction is less likely to feel jerky.

Regardless of how or why it happens though, I most certainly experience it. Sometimes it's like feeling a very definite downshift, but other times more like that, plus a dab on the brakes as well. Maybe it's just one of those things and nobody is bothered enough to mention it.

One thing I am certain of though, the S-tronic in my B7 2.0 tfsi was more responsive on pulling away, and far, far smoother going both up and down the gears.

This is some recently feedback from a B9 2.0 TDI owner, who likes to "trundle along"

Right, part 2 of 3 updates on the TCU. Again short regular trip this morning from cold with lots of low speed junctions and roundabouts....cold, low speed changes much smoother, slow approach and pull away much much better. Comparison on old with same throttle input and time over same distance results in higher terminal speed. I have not been above 45 and for me it wasn’t about outright performance as I have a B9 2.0 Tdi but it is just quicker for the same input without trying at all....will do a long run today and see what it’s like at speed. Who knows the secret of the black magic box......

Page 107 of the manual might describe that this is built into the gearbox by design. But for someone who would use a downshift of a manual gearbox to aid slowing down instead of using the brakes, to me, the gearbox is working as it should. I think automatic gearbox do not do this.

Reactions: SMI77
I have always been happy with the response I've received from dtuk, and informed them of this, but I am not about to start using WhatsApp just to do so..
agree, no need for you to

Launch control working on mine.....S5 with DTUK box running map 2 and 3......

No issues .

Reactions: Daggerit
Yes, as far as I recall...was around 3k I think....

That's quite low? Thought it would be higher on the s4

Mine used to rev to 3500rpm then when it launched it would throw you back and the feeling was like a slingshot.

The feeling now is like the car is under strain when it accelerates on launch. Normal acceleration however is better than ever.

Very weird tbh, I'm going to leave it for now as don't think can do anything.

An earlier post mentioned that I may have exceeded a certain amount of launches in the past hence these symptoms.

Like I say, as far as I recall.....may have been closer to 4k....but either way, launch worked and the shifts had the harder edge to them that I had before the TCU upgrade.

Not sure there is much benefit to launch now though with the box and the TCU tune in play.....

Well, just ordered mine for the S4. Can't wait to try it.

I can't seem to find a way to order one TCU flash for S4 Avant (B9) online. Funny.

Hi Guys,

As 'Daggerit' has mentioned we are now offering the TCU tunes,

F863A7DE-0CEC-459B-ACB0-7D89AC681209_zpssgtxzehd.jpeg

At present we are offering these to members of ASN

S4 TCU flash tools for £395 inc vat and U.K. shipping (if you have already purchased a DTUK tuning box then this drops to £369 inc vat and carriage:

The B9 2.0 Tfsi and 2.0/3.0 TDi are available at £285 inc vat and U.K. shipping

These are available for all Automatic audis from 2002 onwards

Feel free to drop an email to

support@dtuk-performance.co.uk or give us a call on 01207299538

@cuk2u - being a very old manual man, Yep! miss the ability to downshift or jump gears.

I believe ours is somewhere in the Land of Oz, en-route. I don't do waiting terribly well!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and cuke2u
For launch, mine has always been 3-3.5k revs. That makes sense to me as that’s where the peak torque is on the new S4 engines if I remember rightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and syed123
I can't seem to find a way to order one TCU flash for S4 Avant (B9) online. Funny.

I have replied to your WhatsApp message :)

as stated, theyre not available online yet hence the discount were offering :)

some more feedback from an s4 Owner

Ok Gents I just went for a brisk 20 mile drive on some fast A roads. I’ll reserve writing a full review until I’ve done a few hundred miles but I will say of the 5000 miles I’ve put on my car from new I think the last 20 I just did were the most enjoyable. I test drove a new Panamera 4S recently which ironically basically has the same 2.9L V6 engine in as the B9 S4/5 and my gearbox now feels and behaves like it did in the Porsche. Manual is now completely sublime, you can feel the extra torque in all driving modes and the changes are smoother both at low speed and when pressing on. I’ll report back again when I’ve done some more mileage but initial impressions are if you’re sitting on the fence about this don’t, just do it.

Reactions: NevMan, cuke2u and paul wev