DTUK MP-T tuning box with app control

Daggerit

Reaction score
I just thought I’d leave a quick review of the above after switching from the standard box for my S4.

Along with the same increases in power (which I really missed for the few drives I did between swapping boxes), the newer box feels like it delivers the additional power more smoothly than the previous version. I don’t know if it’s just me or it it’s actually the case, but I think it feels like it.

The main difference is the app control though. It took me a couple minutes to set up because my phone was too keen to connect to the box and I had to disconnect and start again, but once done it works great. I can quickly connect to the module and change settings at traffic lights (obviously my passenger using my phone for me... ) or any other time very easily. Also having the boost and G meter is pretty cool too.

Having run them both I’d definitely recommend the version with app control, especially if in the future they’re able to update maps over the air to make sure you always have the best software.

4b245cdc0a96fdaceadccea75eb8afee.png

a191f0d821b5970c792a051b927738fc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Keef and NevMan
For the S4, the dyno sheets are up on the DTUK site and my box has the same settings so it should be about 410PS and 610Nm. :)

Reactions: NevMan and paul wev
I have the same, it's kinda cool to watch what the engine is doing, not driving and on my driveway of course. I haven't changed from the sport setting though, yet...

Reactions: NevMan
Programme 3 I notice Dan :grinning:

Shame they’re not labelled the other way around with 3 being the most aggressive and definitely not efficiency :tonguewink:

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
Programme 3 I notice Dan :grinning:

Shame they’re not labelled the other way around with 3 being the most aggressive and definitely not efficiency :tonguewink:

Obviously program 3... +2 as well for a little extra punch.

Reactions: Keef, NevMan and Riko0073
Nice little review @Daggerit !
Are these easy to fit??
Also stop tempting me to spend money!
You must be in cahoots with dtuk :icon thumright:

Reactions: scotty76, cuke2u and NevMan
Depends upon the engine, I have got it down to about five mins as everything is accessible from above and no fiddly bits to remove. With my A3 1.4 I have to remove some of the air intake plumbing but not necessary with the 2.0l...

Reactions: Keef and Daggerit
Nice little review @Daggerit !
Are these easy to fit??
Also stop tempting me to spend money!
You must be in cahoots with dtuk :icon thumright:

I wish I was in cahoots and could get stuff for free, I've spent too much money at DTUK... Haha.

They only take literally 2 minutes to fit the plugs on for our cars. What takes all the time for me personally is making sure all the cables are tidied the way I want to satisfy my OCD. Lol. Definitely worth getting though, it makes a very noticeable difference to the power and is really fun to drive. :)

Reactions: Riko0073, Keef and cuke2u
Sometimes I turn my box off for 20 miles just to remind myself how good it is when you turn it on again, turns a reasonably fast car (S5) into an absolute rocket, the extra torque is more noticeable than the bhp.

Reactions: Keef, cuke2u and Daggerit
Cable tidying, tell me about it...
Cable tidying is oh so important, I learnt the very very hard way, with cable getting melted on exhaust #Schoolboy error of using cr*ppy velcro strap that didn't hold. So a brand new harness just purchased from DTUK, only 2 weeks in!

Dtuk harness

Sensor 3 plug was an absolute b*stard to get off, cut my fingers to bits. And yes, I was sliding clip back and pressing down.
Having practised on new harness, does come off very easily, but leaving my car with just TCU tune for awhile, as a) need fingers to heal b) still very very fcuked off with the whole thing

Oops, I use reusable cable ties so it saves having to cut them off...

oops indeed! Have a whole load of re-useable ones now...better late than never

Reactions: cuke2u and Daggerit
So far mine has survived a round trip from the south coast to Suffolk, then to Leeds and back to Suffolk then the south coast again. I guess, as a ex-mechanic and now a school's IT Technician, I should be able to tidy cables by now...

Reactions: NevMan and paul wev
I wish I was in cahoots and could get stuff for free, I've spent too much money at DTUK... Haha.

They only take literally 2 minutes to fit the plugs on for our cars. What takes all the time for me personally is making sure all the cables are tidied the way I want to satisfy my OCD. Lol. Definitely worth getting though, it makes a very noticeable difference to the power and is really fun to drive. :)
I’ll second that!

I’m no way technical but found it very easy to fit with the instructions supplied. Like @Daggerit said the only time time consuming bit was tidying the cables away neatly.

Significant difference with performance and most notably the mid range torque, it just pulls so much harder.

Also installed the TCU but I personally haven’t noticed much difference with the smoothness of changes (didn’t actually have much of an issue in the first place TBH) but downshifting does seem quicker than before.

All in all the car is performing way better and faster which has got to a good thing right.

Reactions: Daggerit and NevMan
So far mine has survived a round trip from the south coast to Suffolk, then to Leeds and back to Suffolk then the south coast again. I guess, as a ex-mechanic and now a school's IT Technician, I should be able to tidy cables by now...

Mate, that is how it should be, I probably shouldn’t have initially done at work when time was short. I have no excuse as built probably 1000+ pc’s over the years, so know all about tidy cables. I had used a small velcro strap as interim but never got to do it properly. That shall not happen again, as very costly mistake having to buy new harness Especially when I had shelled £700+ on tuning box and TCU only a couple weeks ago. Anyway, lesson learned and all that, box and TCU is great when cables aren’t melted

Reactions: Keef, cuke2u and Daggerit
Yes preparation and giving yourself the time is key. But we've all been there, I know I have..

Reactions: Keef and NevMan
This is what scares me about installing!
Whilst I’m technically minded and would be very pandantic with the cables, I wouldn’t say I’m overly mechanically minded!

The instructions are clear enough and the guys at dtuk, especially andrew, are always there to help...

Reactions: Keef
I am also put off by the installation. I am quite good at DIY and have taken tumble dryers apart etc to fix them but the thought of mucking about with such an expensive engine makes me sweat. I assume everyone is waiting for their warranty to expire before doing this

the fact that they do not have an video installation guide is also off putting as that seems pretty amateurish

This is what scares me about installing!
Whilst I’m technically minded and would be very pandantic with the cables, I wouldn’t say I’m overly mechanically minded!

No need to be mechanically minded, so long as you can unplug a few plugs that are easily accessible on our cars. Seriously wouldn’t let installation put you off.

I am also put off by the installation. I am quite good at DIY and have taken tumble dryers apart etc to fix them but the thought of mucking about with such an expensive engine makes me sweat. I assume everyone is waiting for their warranty to expire before doing this

the fact that they do not have an video installation guide is also off putting as that seems pretty amateurish

You’d manage no worries then, trust me. I whipped mine off and put it in for warranty work where the car was thoroughly scanned and nothing was found of it either, so it’s as warranty safe as possible basically.

@Keef, am I right I’m thinking you’re up in Scotland or was that someone else? Was just thinking I could easily let you experience it and show you the installation if so.

s4 specific install video would convince me lol :friendly wink:

Haha, I’m sure I could sort that as long as you don’t mind me already having the wires routed and just showing you the various plugs and how they’re done? Next time there’s some decent weather I’ll PM you a quick video.

You think they can produce a installation video for every car? Once you read the installation manual it's simple, certainly so if you've mucked about with tumble drier. When I was mechanic fuel injection had only just came in and we were still working with carburetors, distributors and points.
Plus searching in google can turn up help, even from this forum https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-tuning-boxes.366305/

s4 specific install video would convince me lol :friendly wink:
Seriously, it was simple.

I’m far from mechanically minded and was concerned about install but it was a doddle!

Just need a dry day allow an hour (but it only took me about 25 mins) and away you go.

Bit of time then getting used to the various settings as you drive it and the Bluetooth app is great and so easy to use.

Reactions: NevMan, cuke2u, Keef and 1 other person
Of course I don’t expect a manufacturer to produce a model specific video for every vehicle, was more a tongue-in-cheek comment aimed at follow S4 ers on here
:icon thumright:

I wasn't replying to your comment, so please don't be offended. Just stating a fact and what other suppliers of tuning boxes produce as well....

You think they can produce a installation video for every car? Once you read the installation manual it's simple, certainly so if you've mucked about with tumble drier. When I was mechanic fuel injection had only just came in and we were still working with carburetors, distributors and points.
Plus searching in google can turn up help, even from this forum https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-tuning-boxes.366305/

Yes I would expect a company who charges over £600 for a device to be able to put together an installation video. In fact they have a place holder for such video on their site but it gives an error when selected

Yes I would expect a company who charges over £600 for a device to be able to put together an installation video. In fact they have a place holder for such video on their site but it gives an error when selected

There are vehicle specific instructions that are sent out with the unit so it’s not like you should have an issue installing it I wouldn’t say. I don’t think a video would add any value in all honesty.

And I don’t think the cost should have anything to do with it really. If you buy a £2.5k Milltek system they don’t provide an installation video either, and it’s far more complex than installing the tuning box.

They do

There is for the S4, I think he’s meaning that there should be a video for every single one they sell, for all cars and engine combos.

Reactions: NevMan and Keef
Ah my bad, didn’t spot that video!
Just need some cash now then lol
Thanks all

Ah my bad, didn’t spot that video!
Just need some cash now then lol
Thanks all

It is really simple, and even easier now that the tuning box gets power off sensors so doesn’t need battery connection. All I will say (from personal experience) is MAKE SURE any slack in the harness is audited with proper Velcro straps or cable ties, as managed to melt mine on manifold and cost me £70 (discounted price) for a new harness.

Reactions: Keef and Daggerit
It is really simple, and even easier now that the tuning box gets power off sensors so doesn’t need battery connection. All I will say (from personal experience) is MAKE SURE any slack in the harness is audited with proper Velcro straps or cable ties, as managed to melt mine on manifold and cost me £70 (discounted price) for a new harness.

Audited- wtf! Should read “tied off”

Reactions: cuke2u
The enclosed instructions are easily enough to go on. I have installed two boxes now on different cars and even a blind person with both hands tied behind their back could do it. Any qustions just ask them, andrew is always happy to text you answers and pictures...

There is for the S4, I think he’s meaning that there should be a video for every single one they sell, for all cars and engine combos.

Ok but what tuning box company does, a very difficult and long task that would take quite some time...

Last edited:
Reactions: Daggerit