DTUK experiences?

To be honest it doesn't matter where you start as our advice is to try all 4. As explained above, maps 3 and moreso map 2 are the most popular, but as every car and customer us different it's good to try all 4

Hi guys, a very kind Andy was happy to do business at 10pm last night so I actually made an order for one of these kits for my A4 2.0 TDI 177PS.

Cheers Andy, you are a dedicated man!

What I would like to know is the best setting to give the extra punch when you need it, but gives improved mpg also

Cheers, steve

From recent feedback on fuel economy I'd say map 2 is you're best bet, my brother travels 80 miles per day in his 170 Leon and he says that's his preferred choice now, but then there is 2/3 years of feedback from customers running map 3 that say the same

From recent feedback on fuel economy I'd say map 2 is you're best bet, my brother travels 80 miles per day in his 170 Leon and he says that's his preferred choice now, but then there is 2/3 years of feedback from customers running map 3 that say the same

From a short test after installing this morning, map 3,0 looks good economy wise (didnt change the default setting) but feels too jumpy at lower speeds, too eager for speed!!!!!

WHEN/IF it stops raining! ill try map 2+2 to see if that feels more settled when slower/in slow traffic.

From a short test after installing this morning, map 3,0 looks good economy wise (didnt change the default setting) but feels too jumpy at lower speeds, too eager for speed!!!!!

WHEN/IF it stops raining! ill try map 2+2 to see if that feels more settled when slower/in slow traffic.

I know that it's a different engine but that's exactly what I did... Started on map 3 and found that the turbo spooled up so dramatically it wasn't nice to drive in traffic and about town so moved to map 2 +2 as well. Made a bit difference but still find that the turbo sppols up a little bit fast at times. Think that once I pull my finger out and change it I'll move to map 1 +2 and see how that goes...

Do all the maps provide the same power output?

Do all the maps provide the same power output?

I will let Andrew answer this one for sure but I would say no. The correction values on them are different and I assume that with the +1, +2 or whatever will just extend that upwards linearly. So for me map 3 would always produce more power when compared to another map with the same +1, +2, etc. value. E.g. map 2 +2 would be less power than a map 3 +2 but may be more than a map 3 +0.

Like I say, that's just the way I've been working it and I'm sure that Andrew will be on shortly to clarify if I'm wrong. :)

The maps all produce different power values, think of the curves as being the additional power, the higher the curve the higher the power output :)

The maps all produce different power values, think of the curves as being the additional power, the higher the curve the higher the power output :)

Makes sense!

Is there any method to the +1, +2, +3 increments or are they different for each map? Like are they +10%, + 20% and +30% or something like that?

Makes sense!

Is there any method to the +1, +2, +3 increments or are they different for each map? Like are they +10%, + 20% and +30% or something like that?

It would also be handy to know what power each map provides and like daggerit says what does the +1, +2 add to that figure??

Btw, map 2+2 is much better at slower speeds for me, needing a little bit more pedal to get the turbo spooled up.

Edit, also makes the cruise control a little more comfortable (settled)

Btw, map 2+2 is much better at slower speeds for me, needing a little bit more pedal to get the turbo spooled up.

Edit, also makes the cruise control a little more comfortable (settled)

In that case I might see which one of my maps is like your map 2 and take it from there. :)

In that case I might see which one of my maps is like your map 2 and take it from there. :)

After about 60 miles today and swapping the box blank in and out, map 2+2 seems the overall best in terms of comfort (turbo spooling up)

Yet, the box only seems to make improvements from standstill or from speeds below 30mph otherwise the car feels exactly the same once i hit or from 40mph+, same accel and pull...!?(Tested with the blank in/out)

I'm on Map 3 + 0 and just grateful I've found a map that doesn't result in a mgmt light.

This was our 2.0 TDI 170ps Leon running map 3 plus 1

69ba43ec0224cde49b3f7efda99be03f.jpg

Reactions: Daggerit
Another 85 miles today, 60m box connected, 25ish m blank connected.

I really cant feel any difference in the car beyond inital tq and pull from standing and or below ~40 mph. Still on map 2 +2.

I dont know if its the car/auto gearbox (CVT)/or just me. I feel im not getting the benefit or value from the kit should offer. Sigh. The car is well run @ 7000 miles so i just dont know if this kit is of any significant addition other than reducing the tyre life due to tq/pull from the offset (Fwd)

Ill email you through your web site andy. :(

Last edited:
Replying to your email as we speak

Have you tried plus 3 (map 2) and map 3 on plus 1 or 2?

im on 3+2 once i figured out the right right jumpers (thanks Adrew :) ) i love it, did a 110mile round trip and averaged 57.6mpg on the DIS. performance is good too, reminds me of my 1.9CDTi astra.

im on 3+2 once i figured out the right right jumpers (thanks Adrew :) ) i love it, did a 110mile round trip and averaged 57.6mpg on the DIS. performance is good too, reminds me of my 1.9CDTi astra.

Hi Tom,

Yours is a 2,0 177ps manual isn't it?

I have played with the box for a couple of months now and have settled on map 2 +2 it gives the best performance for my driving style.

Map-1 +2 didn't notice much difference between standard felt sluggish below 2500rpm

Map-2 +2 brings a smile to my face its great on twisty roads and you definitely feel the difference from about 1800 rpm. Average mpg is about 40mpg on my 6 mile commute to work.

Map-3 +1 initially liked this as it made the car more responsive at low revs/speeds but when I put the foot down it was a bit juddery. Weird thing was that this map gave the highest mpg at 44mpg on my normal run but the graph shows it gets more fuel than map 2

Overall very happy with the box and would highly recommend it.

Has anyone with a 3.0 tdi tried map 4 plus 1 - if so what result did you get. Mine just felt quite slow going up through the gears, only went up to 70 mph though, Didn't notice any other differences.

Has anyone tried a different map with good or noticeable results as I'm struggling at the minute.

Is it a fair assumption that if you get the engine mgmt light on with map 2 plus 2 it will be the same for map 3 plus 2.

The most noticeable differences for me are on map 1 plus 2 which seem to be slightly quicker up to 70mph and on map 3 plus 1 which the car had more pull 90 +. It must be said it was very slight differences.

Evening all.

just wanting peoples input in regards to the DTUK Box placement. I myself am having issues with the box loosing its map info therefore not working. After speaking with Andrew he believes its the high voltage from the LED light causing the issue as the box is situated behind the passenger headlight housing as advised. In fairness Andrew is in the process of sorting it and with the new position to place the box the issue shouldn't happen again.

Can anyone shed any light on this with thoughts or experiences.

cheers.

Hi Richard,

as per our various emails, I'm not 100% certain why the box has stopped working, again as explained in my emails the only thing I can think of is that there maybe of been a voltage spike which may of affected the flash memory of the box.

once the box arrives back to us I will be testing it on our programming/testing equipment and then road testing it on my 3.O Q7

after these tests have been conducted ill have a better idea., so before we go off down this road lets have the system back and let's see how the box fairs after we've tested it.

Reactions: Lyons
Evening all.

just wanting peoples input in regards to the DTUK Box placement. I myself am having issues with the box loosing its map info therefore not working. After speaking with Andrew he believes its the high voltage from the LED light causing the issue as the box is situated behind the passenger headlight housing as advised. In fairness Andrew is in the process of sorting it and with the new position to place the box the issue shouldn't happen again.

Can anyone shed any light on this with thoughts or experiences.

cheers.

To be honest, I would have thought that if the box had lost any or all of the map then you would have a serious issue and the EML would have come on because the box wouldn't have been outputting reasonable values. That is unless somehow when the map is wiped it's the same as not having the box connected at all?

How did you notice this? What were the symptoms? I have my box behind the passenger headlight, attached to what looks like an air conditioner pipe and never had any issues.

Dan

Dan,

A car will run a blank box without issues, and as you say the queer thing with Richards problem is that he's never seen an engine light...

It's got both him and myself confuddled :)

As you now have the 2nd system with the new files on, my plan is to send Richard your original system you ran for over a month without issues. I'm also using the loom off my q7 which again has been on my car for a month without issues, so this should rule out any hardware issues.

Regarding the headlights, that is/was me clutching at straws, as soon as Richards system lands back here ill be testing it and will post my findings in here :)

To be honest, I would have thought that if the box had lost any or all of the map then you would have a serious issue and the EML would have come on because the box wouldn't have been outputting reasonable values. That is unless somehow when the map is wiped it's the same as not having the box connected at all?

How did you notice this? What were the symptoms? I have my box behind the passenger headlight, attached to what looks like an air conditioner pipe and never had any issues.

Dan

I noticed straight away as the awesome pull I had from standing (updated box) had gone and during normal driving conditions I appeared to be using more fuel than usual even with the DIS showing a decent mpg figure.

Like Andrew said we are not 100% it was the box placement behind the headlights but what I do know is if I'd have left the box in I wouldn't have got very far on a full tank.

Hopefully andrew can shed some light on it when I return the box.

Gotcha, sounds like things are at least being looked into for you!

I hope that you have a good outcome and that my old box works for you. I had no issues with it apart from getting over-excited and turning it up too high and seeing the EML. Means the box was working though. ;)

Why u guys trying to make a diesel car faster, pointless in my view, just by a s5 or a s4!!

Why u guys trying to make a diesel car faster, pointless in my view, just by a s5 or a s4!!

It's not just about making it go faster its also about getting better mpg. The only reason I bought a 3.0 tdi was the compromise on the s4.

It would have easily gone with the s4 if I didn't do stupid miles with work. Factor in insurance and tax, I just couldn't justify it.

I always laugh when people say things like this...

Why not? The 3.0 TDi remapped is as fast as an S4 in the real world but gets 15+ mpg more. Just remember when we had our little play and I still got about 28mpg versus your 15 or so with mine being a 50% larger capacity engine and a lot heavier. And that was thrashing it. With a DPF delete, exhaust and remap to suit I'm willing to bet that my car would keep up with the S4 on a track even. And still have the fuel economy.

Don't forget what kind of car Audi has won the 24 hour Le Mans in multiple times. A diesel! ;)

Gotcha, sounds like things are at least being looked into for you!

I hope that you have a good outcome and that my old box works for you. I had no issues with it apart from getting over-excited and turning it up too high and seeing the EML. Means the box was working though. ;)

Yes Andrew is keen to sort the issue, so can't really ask for more than that. I got the EML with the first box on map 2 plus 3.

How are you finding the updated box dan, I tried map 2 plus 1 then quickly move up to plus 2. Didn't try any other map as this was perfect for me.

Yeah, I found on the first box that +3 would cause an EML.

I'm running map 2 +2 on the new box as well actually, I really like it although me and Andrew are thinking that maybe the fuelling needs to come in a little later so that the economy can be preserved when driving like a granny and in traffic and such. I'm going to try some things and see what happens and report back and take it from there. :) Other than that the map is awesome I think!

Andrew, can you explain the + or - 1,2,3 for me.

When you adjust it are you adjusting the fueling or boost or both or is it something completely different.

Thanks

It'a actually the voltage you're increasing/decreasing by a default value of 0.1V.

Basically, if on the graph for a given point the additional fuelling was 0.6V, if you were on +1 then the fuelling for that point would become 0.7V, +2 would become 0.8V and +3 would be 0.9V.

Unless I'm mistaken, from speaking to Andrew the boost is also increased at the same time.

Hope that helps!

Dan

Ok, Thanks for that. I am still trying to get my box set up the way i want it.

No worries mate! Good luck, it can take a bit of fiddling before you get it just the way you want it but it's definitely worth it. :)

I've had the box on for a while now and I'm struggling to find a setting that I like....originally I liked the map 2 +2 but below 2k rpm it's sluggish and I find myself in 3rd/4th a lot and the mpg struggles to reach 40 on my normal run.

I ran map 3 at 0, +1 and +2 and it feels much better low down so much so that I can be in 5th at 35mph without any problems.
The mpg is surprisingly higher at 44mpg which I don't understand as it shows the highest fuel curve and starts earlier.
The main problems with map 3 on any of the settings is that when you put the foot down it's not smooth.
It almost feels like the wheels are spinning! (it's a quattro) or I'm hitting a torque limit. This is generally from about 1800 rpm

Would trying map 3 at -1/-2 make any difference to the delivery or would it be better to try map 2 +3.
I like the low down power of map 3 but it's amost unusable if you put the foot down.
I like the smoothness of map 2 from 2k rpm but below this it's a pretty flat.

Map 2 starts that little bit later than 3 and the curves isn't as high, so your feedback is exactly how the 2 maps compare on paper.

We could write 2 new maps.

1) a new variant if map 2 but start it a little earlier or

2) a new variant of map 3 that starts a touch later , or not do aggressive