DTUK epc light issue

iLikefishing

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2014 S1 sportback which I really like, I bought a second hand DTUK tuning box recently but after using it for a couple of days it is triggering my EPC light, a friend checked for me and the fault code code is for overboost, anyone have any experience of this issue or know of anyone that may be able to help with it ? After removing the box the car has reverted back to normal but if possible I would like to re-fit it if repairing/adjusting/updating it, so it gets on with my car better, is possible.

Regards Fish

Hi Fish,

EPC lights from the box are caused by 1, a genuine issue 2, turning the box up too high which your car can't handle or 3, you've connected something up wrong.
Is the box a newer box or an older style?
There may be a few solutions to getting your box to work with your car but it may take a few fault finding processes to get you up and running.

Hi Luke,
Thanks for your reply, I am guessing its not very new as I bought it from eBay second hand, I tried it on all the different settings, pretty sure I connected it correctly. I went off a video on youtube as a guide and the plugs matched perfectly, but I am open that I may well not have been 100% correct. Is there a way of telling if its old or new type ? And I suppose (knowing what eBay can be like sometimes) even if it is actually programmed for my car ? I would love to learn the solutions to getting it to work and open to paying for help should I need to, just not to much if possible. Any help and suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Cheers Fish

IMG 0645
This is the box I have, no idea if you can tell from a pic if its new or old type.
Cheers Fish

Hi Fish,

From the photo you attached it is a newer style box so a reason could just be a genuine faulty box..
Did you try other settings or did you just try one, got an error and removed it?

Hi Luke, I tried every setting on the box, had the car fault code reset, it came again, reset again and ECU set to kind of re-learn the signals and the light came on again, all was normal with the shorting plug inserted in place of the box so I removed it from the car.

I will give it a go, but think it may be better on the telephone, it does say on there website that they don't support second hand units but I suppose if I hint that if it is indeed a faulty box I may buy a new one they might help, of course for their help I would gladly pay. I will try ringing them tomorrow.

Cheers :thumbs up:

I contacted DTUK and they are willing to flash the latest map/program onto my box :chuncky: for £75 +vat, so not too bad I think. I have re-fitted the box to my car and after three days no EPC light so far, fingers crossed it was a glitch or maybe the first time I fitted it a plug wasn't 100% secure. I am gonna give it a couple of weeks or so and if there have still been no issues I'm gonna have them flash the new map onto it. It definitely makes a noticeable difference and maybe even better with the update.

That's good news - at least you can get it updated if you want to stick with it.... Pretty decent of them to be honest...

Reactions: NevMan
Agreed, I too think its very decent of them to help me and I most likely wouldn't have tried them directly, had you not suggested it so a BIG thankyou to you

Cheers Fish

After quite a few trouble free days the EPC light has been coming back on, leading me to think its an intermittent fault rather than the programming of the box, not sure weather to risk having DTUK flash it as if I am right it will still be faulty and I would have wasted the £90

It's difficult to know if it's the box or the car/ECU objecting to the settings the box is imposing. A box reprogram might fix it but you won't know until you try it...

Did you buy the box from a second hand place like ebay or an S1 owner?

I was thinking that if it went that long, nearly two weeks, it was more likely the box has an intermittent fault. I could be wrong but I was guessing the box being programmed incorrectly would have upset the car pretty much straight away. I bought it second hand from Ebay but too long ago to try for any refund etc. How is yours with the APR map ? how long did the standard clutch last with it, or did you just get the clutch done anyway ? And if you don't mind me asking what did it cost ?

get dtuk to reflash it with your exact car map on it as it could be this what is causing the problem ..... also sure if there is a problem with the box you can get your money back for the new flash

I did ask if they would knock the price of the flash off a new box, should it not fix the issue, when I spoke to them and the guy on the phone said I would have to ask the MD, I think I will ask him and if he is willing to do that I will go ahead.

I was thinking that if it went that long, nearly two weeks, it was more likely the box has an intermittent fault. I could be wrong but I was guessing the box being programmed incorrectly would have upset the car pretty much straight away. I bought it second hand from Ebay but too long ago to try for any refund etc. How is yours with the APR map ? how long did the standard clutch last with it, or did you just get the clutch done anyway ? And if you don't mind me asking what did it cost ?

I love the APR map, the car is so much more driveable now despite the additional firmness, over OEM, of the organic clutch. My car was on around 18k miles when I had the map done, the OEM clutch lasted less than two weeks after the map. I had my clutch and map done at www.qstuning.com I can't remember what I paid but if you're local to West Sussex give Alex Collins a call at QS and see what they can do for you.

Alternatively if you're Manchester way, Awesome GTi do the same maps and clutch kits :)

My clutch was replaced about 2k ago by Audi under, after many argumentative meetings with them, warranty. As Christmas is looming I will most likely have to wait till next year now but I am strongly fancying having a map done, but not that keen on replacing the clutch if possible as, going off what Audi were going to charge, they are not cheap. Sadly I am not close to either of those places, I'm in the North East, Revolution in Gateshead are not too far from me and will soon be doing APR maps so maybe I will go there, I also heard the Revo map is pretty good too, but no idea how it compares.
I had a new development with my car yesterday and now the EPC light has come on with the DTUK box removed and the supplied shorting plug fitted, so I am going to remove the harness again and see what happens. Maybe the fault lies with my car and not the box and the box just brought it to the fore.:scared2:

I love the APR map, the car is so much more driveable now despite the additional firmness, over OEM, of the organic clutch. My car was on around 18k miles when I had the map done, the OEM clutch lasted less than two weeks after the map. I had my clutch and map done at www.qstuning.com I can't remember what I paid but if you're local to West Sussex give Alex Collins a call at QS and see what they can do for you.

Alternatively if you're Manchester way, Awesome GTi do the same maps and clutch kits :)

What bhp/torque are you running to burn a clutch in 2 weeks? :racer:

Cheers

Chris

Don't forget that some burn the OEM clutch without any performance upgrades, they're renowned for being like chocolate :)

According to the dyno print it was 336bhp and 473nm of torque.

I am very gentle with clutches in general, however if I manage to get my BHP and torque as high as yours I understand the Audi clutch may not last long
Cheers :thumbs up:

My clutch was replaced about 2k ago by Audi under, after many argumentative meetings with them, warranty. As Christmas is looming I will most likely have to wait till next year now but I am strongly fancying having a map done, but not that keen on replacing the clutch if possible as, going off what Audi were going to charge, they are not cheap. Sadly I am not close to either of those places, I'm in the North East, Revolution in Gateshead are not too far from me and will soon be doing APR maps so maybe I will go there, I also heard the Revo map is pretty good too, but no idea how it compares.
I had a new development with my car yesterday and now the EPC light has come on with the DTUK box removed and the supplied shorting plug fitted, so I am going to remove the harness again and see what happens. Maybe the fault lies with my car and not the box and the box just brought it to the fore.:scared2:

Where abouts in the North East are you based? There is a good few tuners around here that can do either APR/REVO depending on which route you wanted to go or of course, there is a few good custom remappers in this area too if that's what you wanted?
I'm from NE too so might have to see if you are at any local meets in the upcoming months etc..

South Shields is my home town, revo map, from what I have read, seems more suitable for the standard clutch. I don't really do meets tbh, but may well see you on the road :thumbs up: