DTUK £300 worth it?

Agent57

Reaction score
I have been offered a brand new DTUK FSR+ plus box for my MY16 S3. Ideally i wanted to go down the REVO/APR route but being as though my ECU is locked on these new cars it seems my options are limited. Are these boxes worth it?

I would say yes, especially if your getting it for 300 bucks

I've been tempted by DTUK but I am waiting to see if Revo have any news on when they'll crack it. If you are impatient i'd go for it. I use my car for work and I am coming up to 10k (in 6 months) and plan to remap straight after my first service.

£300 seems like a great deal.

I've got one and I wouldn't be without it!

Same box I had on my mk7 gti for nearly two years and had it updated for s3. Really great bit of kit

I love mine! Map 1:3 is amazing!

I've got one and I wouldn't be without it!

Same box I had on my mk7 gti for nearly two years and had it updated for s3. Really great bit of kit
Hi

Where do you get them from mate. Im impatient!

I got mine direct from DTUK. There is a discount code knocking about somewhere.

Have a look through the for sales section as well as used ones are often knocking about

Reactions: Steve 2015 s3
The Apr map for the locked ecu is being released any day now...

I've been bugging them for a while about it and I got a message last week saying they've cracked it and it'll be out soon.

I'll take a map over a box.

Get the Unitronic Uniconnect. Tune and detune the car fully yourself by plugging into the OBD port and downloading the files.
Never go to the tuner again.

I've been bugging them for a while about it and I got a message last week saying they've cracked it and it'll be out soon.

I've gone for the MTM box... Quite happy with my choice. Reckon Mr Meyer knows his stuff by now. Plus I think @sjbarneS3 might be able to offer his opinions...

I've gone for the MTM box... Quite happy with my choice. Reckon Mr Meyer knows his stuff by now. Plus I think @sjbarneS3 might be able to offer his opinions...

Don't get me wrong, i've thought about a box for so long thinking there was going to be another year in it before someone cracked the ECU.
But seeing as a map will be out in the near future, i think id rather get the map done.

they both have their pro and cons in my opinion, and both weigh in at the same level...id just rather a map over a box, now that the chance is there.

Yep! Seemed to make a nice change to the car, both pick up and sound (imo)
Looking forward to next time when you have your other addition on

Reactions: batch
I had many maps and as I tune things myself I have never been 100% happy with 2 tunes I have had to pay for on ECU I have no tools for. There have always been elements that were not perfect and I would target to improve if I could.
The DTUK option works for me as it runs as well as a standard ECU with the benefit of allowing the user to adjust it to their driving style.
A single reflashed map only gives you one or limited options and will be dealer detectable.

Especially not with that choice language whilst driving on the track!! :p

Reactions: Simon L and sjbarneS3

What's the difference between the APR and Revo map?

Thanks. I don't need the pedal box though.
Do you know if they work with the latest ecu's? My build date was September 2015.

Thank you
I have a DTUK box and my build date was Aug. 2015. I am still experimenting with the programmes but at the moment P2 +3 is my favourite.

Reactions: Steve 2015 s3
I went and ordered one yesterday, should be arriving today :)

P2+3, is that with DSG? They said certain settings make the gear shifts jerky

Reactions: Flatcap
When you do let me know
I went and ordered one yesterday, should be arriving today :)

P2+3, is that with DSG? They said certain settings make the gear shifts jerky

No, ive got a manual and can't say that it affects that too much when changing gear. The guy at DTUK did say that he found that the gear change was snappy with a DSG box (i think a snappy box adds to the acceleration experience!). I would be interested to hear which setting you prefer. I have yet to come across anyone who prefers setting 3. Because there isn't much 'science' behind the way the device works (it interupts and tricks the engine into performing differently) it is difficult to know exactly which setting does what. This means that you are reliant on trial and error. I am looking for some dyno graphs to help but can't find any.

If it's anything like the pedal box each setting will make significant adjustments to fuel delivery and boost target between setting 1, 2 and 3 and then minor increments of +1, +2, +3 or decrements -1, -2, -3.

Unfortunately as it 'tricks' the ECU you cannot log the parameters in VCDS, as the ECU will be seeing what it expects rather then what it's running.
A dyno is the only way.

Most people regardless of model fit seem to be going for setting 2 plus fine tune either way. Most seem to find setting 3 too aggressive with the power delivery. This may be different on petrol car as the torque/power delivery comes in much later.

I am not yet running a tuning box, but my Pedal Box is set to either 2+3 or 3-3. Setting to 3+ is fine for me but a little aggressive when ferrying people about.

I have good access to Surrey Rolling Road as I have used/organised group days there for other marque. Therefore, I intend to do some before and after's once the tuning box goes on.

My Pedal Box measurements can be found here : http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dtuk-pedal-box.254960/#post-2586844

Last edited:
If it's anything like the pedal box each setting will make significant adjustments to fuel delivery and boost target between setting 1, 2 and 3 and then minor increments of +1, +2, +3 or decrements -1, -2, -3.

The manual confuses matters as it states that programmes are not in order of power (ie 3 is not more powerful than 2 and 2 is not more than 1 etc.). Speaking to the the guy said that P3 was the "old" programme - basically the first 'map' that they did whereas P2 and P1 are the "new" programmes - i guess the implication being that these were more refined?

On v3 software, Program 3 is the old "Leo" map. This is the smoothest, and most stock like.
It's also the benchmark map, that gave Leo his incredibly fast 0-100mph timed runs.

Every map since then, has tried to better this, but, as explained in previous posts, you are most likely robbing Peter to pay Paul, although Maps 1&2 may feel quicker in the mid range, it almost certainly pulling the timing back at the top end.

A dyno plot only gives half the story, how it actually drives on the road cannot be determined by looking at a dyno plot. On my car (DSG) - 1+3 is completely unusable, the gear changes are snatchy and jerky, and I can feel the drivetrain (particularly the prop shaft) snatch aggressively up and down the box. The throttle plate snapping shut is also disconcerting. And I have cold engine drivability issues with 1+3. But map 1+3 looks great on a dyno plot.

Also, every car is different. What feels or measures best on one car, will be different on another.

Lots of previous threads covering Leo's @Leo-RS superb work in benchmarking the maps with a Racelogic box:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s3-performance-figures-vbox-pbox-1-4m-thread.221569/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s3-0-60mph-3-77-0-100mph-8-92.222705/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/its-gone-even-quicker-audi-s3-0-60-3-59-0-100-8-45.230041/

This thread gives you all the history of the software versions and map numbers:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dtuk-2-0-tfsi-280-300ps-software-update.247443/

Last edited:
Reactions: ABYSS, Flatcap, OliS3 and 1 other person
Dyno'd on Sunday! 379 bhp - with Dtuk tuning box on map 1:3 and VWR600 intake.

Reactions: RO65ERS, Flatcap and OliS3
JB1 is also an epic piggy-back solution and is very close to flash power.

The manual confuses matters as it states that programmes are not in order of power (ie 3 is not more powerful than 2 and 2 is not more than 1 etc.). Speaking to the the guy said that P3 was the "old" programme - basically the first 'map' that they did whereas P2 and P1 are the "new" programmes - i guess the implication being that these were more refined?

map 1 is based on map 3, the only difference is the speed at which the box delivers 100% of the tune.

I tell you guys what.

Everyone chip in and buy me a dtuk box. I will make a detailed written and video review for a month including dyne print outs.

Then chip in again and get me a remap.

I will do the same.

Then we can compare which is better...

This is a good idea.

I've fitted mine this afternoon, drove map 3+1 for a while and it drove really well with extra power over the map. Going to run 1+1 on the way home and see how that goes

I've fitted mine this afternoon, drove map 3+1 for a while and it drove really well with extra power over the map. Going to run 1+1 on the way home and see how that goes

what is the crack with these boxes anyway?
run 1+1 then 1+2 then 1+3 and see which you prefer?
or is it more a of a low Low, Mid and High ?