DSG

Picked my car up today and having never owned a two pedal car since I was five years old, am finding it takes a bit to adjust. My left peg keeps looking for a non-existant clutch and I find I'm pussy-footing around and jolting at junctions instead of mashing the loud pedal directly into the carpet.

For those who had manuals before DSG how long does it take your brain to compensate?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Picked my car up today and having never owned a two pedal car since I was five years old, am finding it takes a bit to adjust. My left peg keeps looking for a non-existant clutch and I find I'm pussy-footing around and jolting at junctions instead of mashing the loud pedal directly into the carpet.

For those who had manuals before DSG how long does it take your brain to compensate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't take long before i got into the habit of keeping my left foot lazy, and not hitting the brake or imaginary clutch pedal, maybe a couple of hours in the car. The DSG takes a little longer to master and drive really well in manual mode with the paddles.

I thought getting back into a manual would be funny, but it seems you never forget how to 'ride a bike'

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and congratulations, enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers - 24 miles using quarter of a tank of fuel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Great fun except for trying launch control with the handbrake on !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the 3.2 club, and enjoy your new motor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You will soon get used to it. I even had to do an emergency stop the other day and my left foot stayed where it was and didn't go for the clutch.

It's funny, because when I get into my wife's manual Polo I just use the clutch without really thinking about it. As Japper said "You never forget how to ride a bike"

Once you get used to the DSG it brings a whole new experience to driving - great fun, especially on country roads.

Enjoy your new Audi.

LOL!!!

I always found that tucking your left leg back and to the right side keeps it from jumping on the non existent clutch when first getting used to autos / DSG.

I tried to move my girlfriends fiesta yesterday, got in, started it, foot on brake and stuffed it straight into reverse without the clutch!! stopped the engine dead witha nasty crunch-bang.

Fortunately, she wasn't in the car with me!

As Japper says, takes a while before you get into shifting as intuitively as we all do with manuals. Now it's second nature to me, paddles and stick.

Hey I think I've got the hang of this DSG malarkey now, except for the bit where you cross hands on the wheel in a corner and suddenly find that - is now +

[ QUOTE ]
Hey I think I've got the hang of this DSG malarkey now, except for the bit where you cross hands on the wheel in a corner and suddenly find that - is now +

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you glue your hands into place on the steering wheel then, or is this your attempt to drive like a copper?

The IAM probably still endorse placing one's arm out of the window and waving it up and down to signal you're slowing down though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's another 'old school' argument like does putting your knee down on a bike make you faster than someone who sits bolt upright.

I drive with one hand most of time (at the 2 o'clock position),even when thrashing on.
I've never 'lost control' because of this.
I can't see DSG changing this.
I hardly ever use the paddles anyway.
I prefer the stick.

If I'm caning it then I'll use 10 to 2 with fixed hands (i.e. lots of crossing of arms), definitely offers better control imho. More use in rwd cars when you need to catch the oversteer (old habits die hard) but still quite effective.

However.....I also adopt the lazy american method (without the phone) for the majority of my long distance driving.

Last rwd car I had was my beloved old RS2000.
Even in those non power assisted days I used to hold the oversteer with one hand.
Only when severe wheel-twirling was needed did the left hand come into play.

Anyone ever seen the cockpit film of Jackie Stewart going round Monaco in the 60's ?
Loads of oversteer.
Only ever one hand on the wheel.
Cool as ****.

Fair enough, providing the driver retains full control of the car at all times I don't really care how they do it, I just take exception to the method I choice being described as 'rediculous'. Personally I still think 2 hands are better than one when it comes to steering a car at speed. Perhaps one day we all use no hands - it will be all be done by a computer reading a GPS system - or something. But not in my life time I hope.

COme on folks, Both hands on the steering wheel at all times unless you are in Drive. and eating a Ice Cream /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I could sell my ' - ' paddle on ebay..
As new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Perhaps I should sell my armrest on eBay as well - again, As new - never used.

I used to cross my arms loads, but have been trying to get out of the habbit.

I kind of thought one day, what happens if my arms are most of the way crossed and I need to apply more lock for whatever reason?

Hmmm ... I've added cruise as an option for my DSG equipped car in the hope that I can steer with my knees when the roads are quiet.

Not a good idea?

You know,this isn't going to go down well with the real DSG fans but...

(dons helmet and takes cover) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

for anything above 7/10's driving,I find the DSG a huge disappointment.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Up to 7/10's it's fine and dandy.

Over that,it doesn't come close to a manual.

Sorry,but that's what I've found to be the case and I've actually had to slow my driving down over country roads to cater for the DSG,especially on downchanges which are nothing like as smooth and controllable as a manual.
If you're used to changing down and immediately dumping the clutch,then the DSG is fine,but if you're used to changing down and 'feathering' the clutch to make things nice and smooth then you'll find the DSG quite annoying.

Combined with the intensely annoying trait of changing up for you when you don't want it to,I find myself getting so frustrated I just give up and slow down.

I'd urge anyone thinking about DSG to take a LONG test drive and think about it longer than I did.

I think I was a bit naive and swallowed the 'hype' a bit too readily.

Sorry gents,but each to their own.

Bowfer - I totally agree with you. If you have never driven a car with a DSG you should take a good long test drive, preferably on your own and not with a salesman, to find out if you personally like the way the DSG behaves.

It seems that you didn't and now have the wrong gearbox in your car.

I did and I have what I consider to be the best gearbox I have ever used in my 40 years of driving - the DSG.

As you say, Each to his own.

send a pm to RichardBW from Forge, if you offer him a large wheelbarrow of cash i'm sure he could sort something out. Might be a while though, I think they're pretty snowed under with ECU upgrades.

Cheers Eeef,I'll try that.

By the time a fix is available (if ever) the new Lexus diesel will be out and I'll have palmed the A3 off to someone else in the company,probably. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Pardon my ignorance but what does "7/10's driving" mean?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I do drive like a copper as you put it. Both hands on the wheel at the 10 to 2 or quarter to 3 position. That is how I was taught to drive many years ago and it has served me well over the 40 years I have been driving. I have never had an accident, except when a girl drove into the back of me at 40 mph when I was stopped at traffic lights in Germany. I find it gives me a better degree of control at both slow and fast speeds. I don't say I never cross my arms because I do, especially at slow speed but not at 80-100 mph. I assume Audi also think it's a good place for the hands on the steering wheel as that where the position the DSG paddles

I know a lot of people seem to adopt the lazy American method of holding the wheel just at the bottom or with one hand so that they can still hold a mobile phone but personally I prefer the 2 hand 10 to 2 method.

Please tell me why this proven safe system of steering is so ridiculous. The IAM also recommend this as the best way to maintain control a car. Are they also wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry David, but you must try to get with the times. Anyone who can't drive whilst unwrapping a sandwich, making a phone call, reading a map, steering with their knees and undertaking using the hard shoulder at 100mph shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Actually I always use the 10 to 2 when "pressing on", but I must admit I'm not convinced about going around corners with my arms crossed - despite what the IAM say. As mentioned earlier, what do you do if you need more lock? A headstand?

I new there was a reason for ordering my car with the glovebox mounted 6-CD player ! As for eating a sandwich whilst driving, I try not to do this otherwise I get all crumbs in the DSG gear change.

A friend of mine was eating an ice cream whilst he was driving when suddenly he had to taken a quick avoiding manouevre. He forgot all about the ice cream in his hand and promptly crushed the cone and sent ice cream all over the place. He vowed never to it again !

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine was eating an ice cream whilst he was driving when suddenly he had to taken a quick avoiding manouevre. He forgot all about the ice cream in his hand and promptly crushed the cone and sent ice cream all over the place. He vowed never to it again !

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound like he got his just desserts!