DSG Test drive

gixeron

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've going to be having a look at an 09 S3 with DSG box during the week. Having always driven manual cars I'm not familiar with them so I was wondering, is there any specific driving techniques that I should employ to try and show up any faults or emerging problems with the box?

Usually if there is a problem its pretty obvious but its very rare.
It should be dead smooth drive at 50 in 6th and click it down to 5th 4th 3rd on the paddles and back up while holding 50 and you shouldn't really feel the changes , just the engine note, if you have ridden a bike its a sequential box in manual the same.
Things like does it kick down and change at the red line might not be appropriate for a test drive :)

Reactions: gixeron
Basically it shouldn't make any noise. Especially when moving it from park to drive or drive to neutral or any combination really (mine would clunk between drive selection then would be fine when driving no noise when moving through the gears). These are symptoms mine had it never broke or stopped working but only realised how smooth they are supposed to be when I drove my dad's car which was also an s tronic. 1700 quid on a recondition and it's quite as a mouse. Mine got to the point where I wold start the car drive for a little bit then if I had to reverse after a couple minutes later it didn't like it (no drive mode would be selected on the Dash and it would clunk a few times as of trying to find a gear) and I would have to turn the car on and off again and away it would go. This was down it not pressurising correctly hence the eventually recondition. But even after all this I would still by another one my first automatic and if I can keep buying them I ain't going back. Hope this is helpful

An ‘09 car should be fault free if serviced regularly. Check dash for warning lights, especially the gear lamp, should not be flashing at all. In reverse when cold there can be a delay before the car moves under throttle but not to worry, it should be ok when gearbox warmed up.
Drive the car in auto, with the paddles and using the sequential mode with the gear lever pushed over to the left, in all modes it should change up smoothly. Do the same in S mode and it should change up at around the red line but not as smooth as before.
You should not be able to make the front wheels spin up under acceleration as the Haldex system should kick in and improve traction.
Good luck.

Rather like your telly, there is a team of very small people inside the gearbox who make it all work smoothly. It's a good idea to lift the bonnet and just ask them if everything is OK ? ( do it while the previous owner is not watching though) and remember they probably only speak German.

Reactions: MalcB, gixeron, SootySport and 1 other person