DSG Stronic Oil leak - Audi A4 b9

Safe to say when your Mrs says she isn’t happy with the courtesy car you know the 1.4 TFSI engine isn’t up to much. She is so unimpressed she insisted we are not driving this.

Hard to tell from the pics but I take it it’s not just the residual making it shiney or is it drips on the under tray again?

IMG 1818

Zoom in on the pic. Look right at the top of the arrows. They used powder that dried everything up and it’s not coming from sump now. They replaced the sump gasket. This is a leak from the actual gearbox. Seems now that gasket has failed. What else is going to fail I wonder?

Last edited:
View attachment 157395

Zoom in on the pic. Look right at the top of the arrows. They used powder that dried everything up and it’s not coming from sump now. They replaced the sump gasket. This is a leak from the actual gearbox. Seems now that gasket has failed. What else is going to fail I wonder?
It’s a poor show that either rushed to get it out and not checked proper or just poor competence

Got some advise now. The gearbox is being dropped out of the car. There is a obvious problem with pressure. What concerns me is the leak has moved from the sump to the joint where the gearbox meets the engine. Audi have ordered some parts. So roughly another 2 weeks from when we dropped it off a week ago.

They should just stick in a new box instead of fixing a broken one when it seems they don't have a grasp on the issue.
What courtesy car have they given you now by the way...

They gave us a Q2 which wasn’t up to scratch. We now have another A6 sline. I really am losing faith in this gearbox. Hopefully they have a good answer as to why it keep blowing seals.

Reactions: cuke2u
While the gearbox is being dropped out of the car should I get it serviced? I’m sure I could pay for the filter only or whatever it’s called. It’s on 22.6k now but service can be done between 20k & 38k. Thoughts?

Hell, after what you've been through it should be free...

Reactions: scotty76 and Spaceman_RS3
Thought I would have had the car back today but it seems it’s taking longer than they anticipated. Audi said they will give me another update on Thursday and I said I want to know what the underlying cause of pressure is within the gearbox. I asked if the gearbox will be getting a service but they only mentioned that only the oil will be serviced. Do others know what serviceable parts there are in the dual clutch gearbox?

There is usually a filter change but we have a gearbox that is quite new to the world, being the dl382-7f.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Another update today.

“The source of the leak is from the gasket that is between gearbox and end casing. I’ve just got latest update from technician and we are awaiting a securing clip for output shaft and the part is on factory back order, I will get a full update on parts delivery for this tomorrow once expedite request has been submitted.”

I am sorry but brand new gearboxes should not be suffering from this kind of issue...

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I am sorry but brand new gearboxes should not be suffering from this kind of issue...

I know. I called Audi and said the other seals might fail. He then assured me all other seals and clips will be replaced but the email was only referring to the cause of the problem. I was wondering while it’s out these should be done. At least that has put my mind at ease.

I am definitely going to get a extended warranty but do I get it from Audi or a 3rd party?

I think Audo should pay for one, are you intending on keeping the car for over three years after all this?

Good old audi reliabilty and same good old audi service. You might want to hold onto it but it probably won't last :)

Got the car back today. It’s juddering in reverse. (Wheels straight on a flat surface) If I squeeze on the accelerator it goes away. Normal I get a nice gentle creep back. I’m getting sick of this now.

Have not phoned Audi yet. With the gearbox being out does the car need time to bed. It was completely drained. I know in a manual car when I change the oil in the gearbox the shifts were much harder to do and especially reverse. After a while in it would ease. Not sure re the Stronic as it’s new to me.

@cuke2u how was your new gearbox when you got your car back?

I don't know enough about the gearboxes but I would ring the dealership and report it in...

Reactions: Daggerit
I don't know enough about the gearboxes but I would ring the dealership and report it in...

Agreed. Can only imagine it’s an issue with clutch engagement as something that changes between being off and on throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so disheartening. I was going to go mad on the phone but luckily I waited until I was calm. 3rd time lucky perhaps.

Reactions: Happy Grumpz and Daggerit
It may just all need to settle down and calibrate itself. I would suggest driving it for a few days and see if the issue clears up.

With regards to returning the car for the 3rd time I got this reply today. (Shudder in reverse)

“I will have a full progress update this afternoon with your vehicle, on return I have had a senior master technician cross reference repairs, we have found that the software and
programming of gearbox isn’t quite right and taking all the correct adaptions, we have sent of enquiry to factory and are awaiting their response”

Am I wrong in thinking that the car should have had the gearbox software updated and “adaptions” made at the time the gearbox was dropped? With regards to “quite right”, that doesn’t cut it for me. Why was this not done at the time?

Thoughts on this this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Happy Grumpz
Unfortunately it seems that the policy of Audi is not to update any firmware unless informed to do so by Audi central.

What do people think of the service interval for changing the fluid in these DSG boxes? In the guide to costs brochure for servicing they state every 60 000km (every 40 000 miles?). They don't speak about years. Maybe this should be done a bit earlier or at the latest every 3 years to avoid issues - or at least reduce the chance of issues? My dealer price list quotes about £200 for doing this.

What do other owners think?

It's based upon the life of the oil I guess, means I'll never need to change mine if I only keep it for three years. If I was I'd probably change it after three as you suggest because, at the rate of mileage I do a year, it would take me eight years before I clock up 40,000 miles....

Reactions: france71
I have just been told by Audi we are now getting a new gearbox.I asked them What exactly is wrong with my vehicle now?

“The vehicles software to enable accurate gearshift is not within Audi tolerances therefore not allowing a smooth gear change, Audi technical have now authorised a replacement gearbox which is on order”

So the car went from having a gearbox leak to not shifting correctly. How does that work. I’m glad but this has been a nightmare.

Reactions: BarryG79
What do people think of the service interval for changing the fluid in these DSG boxes? In the guide to costs brochure for servicing they state every 60 000km (every 40 000 miles?). They don't speak about years. Maybe this should be done a bit earlier or at the latest every 3 years to avoid issues - or at least reduce the chance of issues? My dealer price list quotes about £200 for doing this.

What do other owners think?

If you were to spend some time on the B8 forum you would soon see that the previous DL501 s-tronic gearbox was not great. Dig a little further and you'll find reports from people stating that (in some cases) the undesirable behaviour of their gearboxes was improved with an oil change. It is clear that good oil is more important for these gearboxes than it is for engines!

In my years of Audi ownership I have rarely seen service schedules state "or X years". However I have seen it added retrospectively. Likely this was when they realised that parts were wearing out before the stated mileage and this was because they were on older, lower mileage cars. Personally I suggest that if you do relatively low mileage then for critical items (and as I suggested, gearbox oil/filter are) then consider at what age a car with average yearly mileage would have the service done, and do something similar for yours.

I do around 4K per year in my S5. However since it is tuned I decided that the recommended 38K is tool long and so for average mileage, 3 years would be the right time for my gearbox service (and my car had only done about 13K). Based on what I read about the B9 (which seems to have too many faults for my liking), I'd recommend s-tronic gearbox service done no later that 4 years from new.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and france71
Yes I think I'll take your advice and do the change at the 3 year annual service. Yes it'll only be just over half the recommend mileage for doing a change but like you guys it has to be a worthwhile exercise.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
I have just been told by Audi we are now getting a new gearbox.I asked them What exactly is wrong with my vehicle now?

“The vehicles software to enable accurate gearshift is not within Audi tolerances therefore not allowing a smooth gear change, Audi technical have now authorised a replacement gearbox which is on order”

So the car went from having a gearbox leak to not shifting correctly. How does that work. I’m glad but this has been a nightmare.
Yes eventually they are doing the right thing so wonder if the oil leak did actually cause more damage than they first suspected.
I am not suprised though, gearboxes cost thousands...

Reactions: WesT-gefül and Happy Grumpz
I was actually quietly hoping it would go down this route with the new gearbox. This may be a silly question but is the clutch pack bundled with the DSG? I’ve asked for some photos of the clutch pack to see the condition. I’m so glad I caught this early. Gearbox is something like £6k