DSG Stronic Oil leak - Audi A4 b9

WesT-gefül

Reaction score
Got my mechanic to change brakes on my 2016 b9 and asked him to have a look around it. He found a leak as the engine cover was wet but it wasn’t raining. This is what he found.

Any thoughts? Anyone else with similar issue. I’ve attached some photos and as you can see it’s very wet with gear fluid. 22k on the clock. Bought the car 2 months ago.
IMG 1592
d75f26e64f529622a444575309ed547c.jpg
IMG 1594
5bd80fa542122c87c896742187e34e1e.jpg

No idea but it should be fixed under warranty. That looks like the sump so it there a drain plug loose?

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt but it’s really wet from the gear oil. Wouldn’t expect this from a Audi and a fairly new one at that. Was wanting to see if others had the same issue.

Can a forum Mod change the title to replace Auto with Stronic. Seems the site only gives you a short window to make edits.

Allot of oil coming from the gearbox so decided to get AudiAssist out today. They have now seen the car and it’s getting lifted to the dealership.

First Audi, which hasn’t been a great introduction thus far. Hoping they just replace the whole box as I wouldn’t have much faith in it going forward.

Waiting to see our like for like courtesy car.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it got worse. You said you bought it used, was it from an Audi dealer as an Audi approved car? Hopefully it all gets sorted out quickly and they manage to restore your faith in Audi.

Sorry to hear it got worse. You said you bought it used, was it from an Audi dealer as an Audi approved car? Hopefully it all gets sorted out quickly and they manage to restore your faith in Audi.

Where you buy it from doesn’t matter in the 3yr period. Ex lease car. Same. Cheers.

Hopefully just a seal or similar.

Your right in that where you purchased the car doesn't matter in terms of warranty but what I believe pagenotfound was alluding to is that all Approved Used Audi's undergo a thorough check before being put up for sale and have additional warranty cover.

Reactions: pagenotfound and WesT-gefül
Oh ok. Didn’t know they had additional warranties. For the same car Audi were nearly a grand more and this car had less mileage. It was from a big local who sells only prestige. Figured it being 2yrs old and a warranty intact I wasn’t taking a risk.

Hopefully only a seal but will feel much better knowing it’s been replaced because there is allot of oil.

Will keep you all informed. Love driving it.

Allot of oil coming from the gearbox so decided to get AudiAssist out today. They have now seen the car and it’s getting lifted to the dealership.

First Audi, which hasn’t been a great introduction thus far. Hoping they just replace the whole box as I wouldn’t have much faith in it going forward.

Waiting to see our like for like courtesy car.
If its any consolation my gearbox failed at 1500 miles, two months into ownership, and a brand new car. Turned out a £20 parking solenoid had failed inside the box, however to prevent any further damage it locked itself and refused to move. So my neighbours had the sight of a brand new Audi being pushed out of the driveway with the emergency park release lever being used to get it onto a low loader, just after Christmas too...

If its any consolation my gearbox failed at 1500 miles, two months into ownership, and a brand new car. Turned out a £20 parking solenoid had failed inside the box, however to prevent any further damage it locked itself and refused to move. So my neighbours had the sight of a brand new Audi being pushed out of the driveway to get it onto a low loader, just after Christmas too...

That is gut wrenching. Does give me some solace. Once it was put right I’m sure yours has been going well.

I can remember as a kid my dads Audi 80 had issues with the auto box. Not much has changed. I suppose it’s just a very small number of cars that have a issue in the grand scheme of things. Commonly reported but not common if you know what I mean. Most people will report the bad news.

Just finally got up to driving a Audi and it’s disheartening. At least mine didn’t die on me or stall whilst driving. Spotted early.

Always been a fan, just wanted a newish one. B9 fitted the bill. It only 18k on the clock when I got it.

Yeah no issues since and love the car but I was probably lucky it failed outside of the house first, whilst we were unloading our luggage, instead of when we were on holiday. Just managed to get it into the driveway, much to the AA's annoyance as the only way to get it out was too push it.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Using the manual park release through the top where the cup holders are, a red lever in the toolkit. Strange thing was it wouldn't stay locked so I got to sit in the drivers seat holding it released whilst the big guy pushed the car. From the manual:
Manual release of parking lock
A malfunction has occurred in tiptronic mode.
Deactivate tiptronic mode by pushing the selec � Apply the parking brake} q page 101 or press
tor lever to the left into position D/5. the brake pedal to prevent the vehicle from
rolling away.
� Remove the rubber mat.
� There is a slot next to the cover. Insert the screwdriver (provided in the vehicle's tool kit) in
the slot and prise open the cover q Fig. 118.
� Insert the box spanner (from the tool kit) into
the opening q Fig. 119.
� Turn the box spanner clockwise as far as the
stop and then push it downwards@ until it engages.
� Leave the box spanner inserted

Good to know for future reference. Thanks. Got that saved in my growing note section for the car. Oil specs. Tyre and offset sizes. Brake and disk part numbers etc etc.

Reactions: cuke2u
Lets hope you never have to use it and see this:
DSC 0317 zpsydrcth9v

Last edited:
Hopefully just a seal or similar.

Your right in that where you purchased the car doesn't matter in terms of warranty but what I believe pagenotfound was alluding to is that all Approved Used Audi's undergo a thorough check before being put up for sale and have additional warranty cover.

Precisely. What I was thinking was that if it had gone through Audi Approved checks, would something like this have been spotted or not as the fault may already have been present. If bought from an independent then they may have done RAC checks or similar. Either way, the manufacturers warranty should cover and if not, as it was bought from a dealer rather than privately, then consumer rights should protect in the unlikely event of a warranty claim being refused.

Just a update and something I never mentioned yesterday. My wife was driving the car. After AudiAssist collected the car we were told we would get a courtesy car. At 4pm I was told it would be a couple hours and they would call me shortly to arrange a car and go through insurance (for the courtesy car) with a hold on my credit car.

By 8 Pm my wife was stranded at work and we had to make arrangements to get home. Fuming doesn’t describe it. Very poor on their part. We had to make arrangements for travel this morning.

We have had to call them back today. We have just gone through the checks and hold on our credit card. We are told we can only get the car in 4-5 hours. Can’t only imagine if we were stranded somewhere what it would have cost to get home yesterday.

Apparently we are getting a 2017 Audi A6 sline as the courtesy car.

And so it continues.......

Must say the local dealership have been very helpful with the follow up call this morning. Giving me a update and direct email for the person dealing with the car. Timescale for diagnosis etc.

Yes as we did. We also have onward journey with our insurance (separately) if we were in the middle of nowhere. The issue being told we were getting a courtesy car by AudiAssist later that day and for them not to inform the car wasn’t coming. We had to chase it again in the morning. Lovely 2017 grey A6 sline to play with while our car is in the dealership.

When I was supplied with a replacement vehicle they told me it would be a equivalent car, a A5 saloon they said, no such thing of course. The next day a A5 coupe turned up with half its trim missing, which I promtly rejected as a coupe was uselss for me. In the end I had a B9 diesel Avant, which was ok aside from it being a manual and I do not like diesels.
I don't think that Audi have any choice in the vehicles, especially when it is an emergency as they all seem to come from a third party rental company, Enterprise..

When my gearbox went boom, a like for like S3 wasn’t available until the next day so Audi arranged a taxi home from work and back the next day, 30mile round trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WesT-gefül and cuke2u
So far Audi have spotted the leak as I advised them. It’s just a seal (for now). They sent me a video of my car to show the issue which I thought was a good touch rather than explaining it over the phone.

On doing an inspection and plug in they found a fault with the adblue system. Audi can’t test drive the car until the fault is fixed with the adblue system. The issue with the adblue system requires them to replace the whole tank. The part is not available in the whole of the UK, it has to be ordered from factory. Lead time of 2 weeks. She said it could be less. Once the adblue tank is replaced they can look further into the gearbox

My concern has thus far been the amount of oil that has come out of the gearbox. The oil soaked right through the cover. They also don’t seem to be keen on replacing the engine floor cover but she said she would ask. I wanted that done so I could quickly spot the issue further down the line should it happen again.

Must say this Audi dealership is good at keeping you informed. So far very positive.

Here is a pic of it cleaned up vs the day I took the picture. You can see it clearly still coming out. Looks like they even stripped the paint to clean it.
cecc54ea5a2203c018513578d33b8eb9.jpg

1382a40fd1d5fcb99a2f04162bdbeac3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rasA4
They should check the the oil level of the box and top up if necessary. They might be no need to replace the floor cover if it can be cleaned up. Interesting about the adblue tank and it might be useful to diesel owners if you can find out any further infomation about the fault...

At the very least the gearbox will get a service because they’ll have to drop the oil to change the seal. We’ll see after that if they find any other issue. Yes I also found the adblue fault interesting. Will try get the code and update the thread accordingly. Perhaps start a separate thread for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u
Got verification on the adblue system. It’s the pump itself but it must be a single unit to include the tank. No fault code as yet. Will post it once I get a email from Audi.

By engine floor cover, I guess you mean the under tray? If so the least I’d expect is for them to take it off and steam clean it, that’s would they did on mine.

Here’s the link to my issues.

Gearbox Malfunction, what should I expect from Audi? S3, 6 months old!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh....net/xf/index.php?posts/3075364/&share_type=t

Seems these boxes are not as solid even with it being made by Audi. They are very complicated but just don’t seem to have the reliability of a manual. Obviously it’s a small amount of cars in the grand scheme but Really annoying to be one of them.

Reactions: BarryG79
Have a email back on the adblue system. I asked for the fault code but got a fault message instead as well as the part number for the adblue tank/pump unit.

“The part number being replaced for the ad blue tank is A8W0131879AJV and the fault code logged was for ‘pressure too low’ relating to the ad blue pump”

Mine must be like Swiss cheese with the amount of leaks. It's had oil leaks, is currently in the dealers to rectify a diesel leak and they have now identified a coolant leak! Think yourself lucky you only have one leak ;)