DSG or Manual

Fuzzman

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this?? Sorry if anyone else has ask But /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I am buying a new A3 S-line 3.2 but do I go for the DSG or Manual??? If DSG has anyone had any problems with it or do I go for a manual Thanks

Personally i prefer the manual, you do need to test drive a DSG to see if you like it, some people love it, some hate it and can't get a long with it.

There also has been some talk on the Launch control of the DSG, but i'm sure someone else will elaborate on this.

If your gonna remap the engine and other mods, then go for the manual as well. As there is a torque limit for the DSG box.

And welcome to the forum Fuzzman.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello I am new to this?? Sorry if anyone else has ask But /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I am buying a new A3 S-line 3.2 but do I go for the DSG or Manual??? If DSG has anyone had any problems with it or do I go for a manual Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I may be biased, but would have to say DSG definately. I have not had any issues with mine at all ( 7000 miles ). I know that many TT owners over on UK TT Forum have had issues, but then you always post bad news before good, right !

Diesel cars need the DSG more than petrol.

Either one you choose is a great car.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Newbie
I have booked a test drive at my local Audi dealer next week on the DSG is there anythink that I need to no

I've test driven the 3.2 TT and that convinced me to order my Tdi with it.

I always swore I would never have an auto but the DSG really is the best of both worlds.

But as Tdi-Line said you need to drive it to see if you like it.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Newbie
I have booked a test drive at my local Audi dealer next week on the DSG is there anythink that I need to no

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, right pedal is go, left pedal is stop, and use large wheel to aim car in different directions. Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Hi Fuzzman

Try driving the car in manual mode rather than in “D” if you are not familiar with normal auto boxes this will feel more natural. I use this mode in all but heavy town traffic when I get lazy and may use D mode. Normally I use manual to up shift and let the car down shift on it’s own except when you need to overtake then I’ll manually down shift a couple of gears. DSG does take some familiarisation so give yourself plenty of time or better still borrow the car for a day

love the new avatar TDI Line ......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yep, it's putting a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif on my fce too.

Shame you can't see the rest of her, but you can't have everything. Anyway lets all enjoy the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif motion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain what you mean by 'manual mode' cats ?
I picked up my DSG today.
I only see D and S on the stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, Slide the lever over to tipronic mode +/- and then use the paddles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"I personally don't use D or S very often"

I'm confused.
How does one get it into 'manual' mode.
I thought it had to be in either D or S ?
I'm new to this !!!

Cheers Japper
Your post came through same time as my other one.
You da man !

When you slide the lever over to +/- does it matter if the lever is beside the D or the S ?

The lever will only move to the tiptronic (+/-) from the D position - not from the S position. It's more obvious on the original A3 as it does not have the leather gaiter around the shift lever and the poistion for tiptronic can be clearly seen on the polished shift surround.

From starting I often let the DSG move from 1st to 2nd and sometimes to 3rd on it's own as it happens so quickly and then move the lever to tiptronic for all further changes up and down.

Another point if you are test driving a DSG for the first time. Remember to keep your left foot under control !
There is a great tendancy to use you left foot to depress the clutch only to find it's the brake and the car stops rather suddenly. You get used to it after a while.

[ QUOTE ]
I am buying a new A3 S-line 3.2 but do I go for the DSG or Manual???

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on what relationship you intend to have with your car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Both gearboxes are excellent. However, the DSG is probably the best automatic in the world whereas the manual, while very good, is not the world's best.

The DSG is above all else, an automatic (duh!). Granted, it uses twin sequential dry clutches (no sloshy torque converter), and you can choose to select gears yourself as well. BUT, the computer will decide on the amount of clutch slip and downshift rev-match. In some situations, it will not do as asked (too aggressive a downshift, etc).

The manual is nice: light and precise, with excellent gearing. The pedals don't easily allow heal & toeing though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. The biggest advantage of the manual is that you remain in full control of every transmission related parameter. Just how important that is to you is a question only you can answer.

Ben.

[ QUOTE ]
Another point if you are test driving a DSG for the first time. Remember to keep your left foot under control !
There is a great tendancy to use you left foot to depress the clutch only to find it's the brake and the car stops rather suddenly. You get used to it after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, that reminds me of the test drive. The sales guy drove to put some juice in it, we then swapped over and I took him back to the dealership to drop him off. Came to an halt very quickly with left foot, while he had already released seat belt seatbelt. It was like that advert with the pizza as his head met dashboard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He did see the funny side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">Can you explain what you mean by 'manual mode' cats ?
I picked up my DSG today.
I only see D and S on the stick.
</font>

Move the stick to "D" then push it left. This is then manual, you change gear with the paddles or push the stick forward to up shift and back to down shift. I use the stick when turning the wheel as the paddles are fixed to the wheel.

I use 'D' first thing in the morning til the cars warmed up and then use the manual mode - unless i'm feeling really lay!

But when I use manual I seem to downchange with the stick and up change with the paddle. Just seems to be more natural...

J.

Thanks Ben

The relationship with the car will mainly be at evening and at weekends and by my good lady.

But I will make sure I have a good test drive of both cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

marriedblonde-

Exactly as I do - i think because most of the time i still drive it like a manual i.e. right hand on wheel (for +) and left hand on stick (for -)

The armrest helps with the left arm lazyness too! 'D' is perfect for warmup - keeps the revs nice and steady/low

I just can't get comfortable with pushing the stick forward for upshifts under acceleration. Pulling it back for downs under breaking seems natural though.

Well I've had DSG for a whole 24 hours now and I have to say......

It's ****** brilliant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

I've been on manual mode since Japper et al informed me how to do it and now I'm using the paddles like a pro.I've even got the hang of using the stick when one can't reach the paddles.

Heartily recommended and I'm soooo glad I ordered it !

The only reason I don't use the stick is because it is back to front.
I had a 528i that had the same problem and just after I got it BMW changed it round, there was a mod you could do to change it to make it feel natural, I wonder if you can change the Audi one over too?

[ QUOTE ]
Well I've had DSG for a whole 24 hours now and I have to say......

It's ****** brilliant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

I've been on manual mode since Japper et al informed me how to do it and now I'm using the paddles like a pro.I've even got the hang of using the stick when one can't reach the paddles.

Heartily recommended and I'm soooo glad I ordered it !

[/ QUOTE ]

You like it now !, it gets even better over time when you really master it. There's no going back to a manual once you've had DSG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

There's a pint in it for anybody to suss how to mod stick to shift down when pushed and up when pushed though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think you will find that in the A3 the DSG lever is connected to a control box on the actual gearbox by a physical rather that electrical cable, similar to the cables used for the manual gearbox.

This may make it more of a problem to change the lever to work the other way round.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you will find that in the A3 the DSG lever is connected to a control box on the actual gearbox by a physical rather that electrical cable, similar to the cables used for the manual gearbox.

This may make it more of a problem to change the lever to work the other way round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think your right, and that the wires were for illuminating the gear position symbols.

Hmm, that is a ******!

I may have to have a look just to kerb my curiosity on Sunday.

I loved my test drive in DSG but now I'm worried about how much it felt like a video game. Every time I see a car transporter on the motorway I want to drive up the ramp a la GTA: Vice City.

Is it too late to change my order back to manual?

Hi Fuzzman welcome to the forum mate! Nice choice in car i hope you will visit me for a spin when you decide on your purchase! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I loved my test drive in DSG but now I'm worried about how much it felt like a video game. Every time I see a car transporter on the motorway I want to drive up the ramp a la GTA: Vice City.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol!!! That's exactly how Ifelt with the DSG: in a video game! (except the buttons on the DSG don't feel as good as those on a PS2 controller!!)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends... Ask your dealer.

-Ben

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer will probably say too late for changing from DSG to manual (-£1400 to dealer) or dealer will say ok for changing manual to DSG (+1400 to dealer). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif