DSG issues...

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
Has anyone had issue with the DSG gearbox ? Mine has just started to be a pain on cold mornings but only within the first few metres, When I reverse off the drive stop and then select D the car on 3 seperate occassions has played up.

First time time just hesitated longer than normal, second time it almost stalled and stuttered and the this morning it was almost like a slipping clutch but the revs wouldn't increase much and it didn't want to go. Once its done that and as I said its only in the first few metres and when cold the gearbox is fine for the rest of the day. Has anyone suffered from something similar ?

Last edited by a moderator:
do you let car warm up alittle , try and leave it started for 5mins and it should be fine . mine is same when cold

Mine is kept in a garage over nght. When I reverse out of the garage and onto the road, with the first pull away, usually in D, there is a slight hesitation but no more than that. I usually leave it in D for the first few hundred yards because there are a number of speed bumps and a couple on mini-roundabouts but then it goes across into 'manual' and stays there all the time. Not noticed any further problems other than the first pull away.

I suppose, depending on the overnight temperature, it could take a few minutes for the oil in the DSG to get warm enough to work properly. Is your's kept outside at night?

yep its on the drive, the gargae is occupied ... by another car which seems to go against tradition in stamford ... most either have junk in the garage or its been converted into a house ! Its only started since its been cold, I might get the gearbox fluid changed .. or I might sell it and get something else !

I agree, mine has been very cold the last 2 mornings and it has clunked twice now. I think its just the weather, manual cars do it so i dont see why DSG is weather resistant! :)

yep its on the drive, the gargae is occupied ... by another car which seems to go against tradition in stamford ... most either have junk in the garage or its been converted into a house ! Its only started since its been cold, I might get the gearbox fluid changed .. or I might sell it and get something else !

Sounds a bit drastic. Is it still in warranty. If so, get the dealers to have a look. It may be there is a software upgrade that would cure the problems.

nope its just out of warranty

You could get them to check anyway. Cheaper than changing the car, unless of course your looking for an excuse to change it anyway!

not a real solution but why not reverse the car onto the drive then you only have to put it in D and then drive off when you come to it the next morning!

didn't think you were meant to reverse out onto roads anyway

My A3 2.0TDi 170 is currently at the dealer with a DSG problem - 19,000 miles and it has developed a severe hesitation when pulling off - nothing when power applied then it snatches the gear then pulls off with a real jerk.

On hill starts it almost stalls. It feels like the clutch is being let in far too harshly. In heavy traffic when applying a little throttle to keep up it kangaroos like a learner driver.

It's just had new drive shafts and I wonder if the two problems are connected.

I had a 2.0TDi 140 for almost 40,000 miles without any problems.

Surprisingly, I didn't have any stalling issues with my DSG, even when cold.
The cold change from 2nd to 3rd became increasingly uncomfortable as the miles wore on though.
I didn't get the chance to see if a DSG oil change would have improved it, as I managed to get rid of the car just before it was due.

Incidentally, I have a double garage, neither of which are ever occupied by cars.
I can't be ***** with the hassle involved.
Open door, squeeze into car, reverse out, close door etc.etc.
I'm actually thinking of converting at least one of the garages into a room, probably a home cinema.

Mine did the cutting out when cold and it was an air leak :D

Changed the seals on the IMF and all was good :D

You may have a leak but also, i had my car serviced (everything) and it went a lot better.

It use to stall 3 times a weak bt after a service, it went to around one and once the seals were changed, no more stalling when reversing & no more rough idling :D

Incidentally, I have a double garage, neither of which are ever occupied by cars.
I'm actually thinking of converting at least one of the garages into a room, probably a home cinema.

Personally I'm not really bothered if people put their cars in their garge at night or not, providing they can park them off the road.

Mine's always put in my garage and I have a power operated garge door, so at least I don't have to get out of the car to open or close the garage door.

Some planning authorities are beginning to insist that larger houses are built with at least two parking spaces and they will not take any garages into account as parking spaces because the know it is very unlikely the garages will be used for parking a car.

My A3 2.0TDi 170 is currently at the dealer with a DSG problem - 19,000 miles and it has developed a severe hesitation when pulling off - nothing when power applied then it snatches the gear then pulls off with a real jerk.

On hill starts it almost stalls. It feels like the clutch is being let in far too harshly. In heavy traffic when applying a little throttle to keep up it kangaroos like a learner driver.

Hi,

I've got the same model with the DSG and I assumed that it was a symptom of the DSG because since new my car has always had a totally unrefined 1st gear. From every start when I put my foot down fairly quickly, the gearbox bangs/jerks in exactly the same way. I just put it down to the DSG gearbox being quite rubbish in 1st gear but great in all others!!

I'm assuming then that the DSG should be smooth on a quick take-up from rest in 1st gear?

Cheers
Paul

I have had three Audi's with DSG & have never had this problem. Go & pay a visit to Audi

As opposed to spending 10-15mins each morning in winter de icing the bl##dy car windows.

I'm assuming then that the DSG should be smooth on a quick take-up from rest in 1st gear?

Hill starts were a barsteward, for my DSG.
Foot on throttle...revs....nothing....BANG! OFF WE GOOOOOOO!:undwech:
Every hill start, you looked like an idiot learner.

I have had three Audi's with DSG & have never had this problem. Go & pay a visit to Audi

I'm on my second and neither have behaved in the way you describe. Hill starts are no problem at all. Apply a little throttle, release the handbrake and move away smoothly.

Bowfer - I hope you lock you car again when you've started it and gone back inside. Someone a few streets away did exactly what you describe except that when they came out again, someone else had driven the car away!

I hope you lock you car again when you've started it and gone back inside. Someone a few streets away did exactly what you describe except that when they came out again, someone else had driven the car away!

Its very tempting to do the same, however the risk of the car going missing and getting nothing from the insurance company makes me stop and think.
Im tucked away in a quiet cul-de-sac and leave the house around 6am, so in real terms, the chance of that happening is tiny, that said i still choose to play it safe and freeze my nuts off scraping the windows.
Anyway garages are for kids bikes and junk, not cars.:beee:everyone knows that.

Bowfer - I hope you lock you car again when you've started it and gone back inside. Someone a few streets away did exactly what you describe except that when they came out again, someone else had driven the car away!

I'm not daft, I've heard these stories too.
However, I'm 100% confident it won't happen where I live.
Besides, what kind of fool tells the insurance company they left the keys in the car?
The usual 'modus operandi' is to steal the keys these days, so that's what I'd tell the insurance company/police.
Who they going to believe, me or a car thief?
"They must have opened the door and helped themselves to the keys, officer"
Simple.
AFAIK, there aren't any rules to say your house must be locked at all times and/or your car keys must be locked away.
Stealing carkeys from an unlocked house is still theft.

Don't understand the thinking behind this one.

Can't be bothered with the 10 seconds it takes to open a garage door..............buy a remote.

Rather than put shoes and coat on to go out in freezing cold to start the car, to then go back in house, taking shoes off again. Not only is this seriously bad for the car ( you are supposed to get them upto temp as quickly as possible without being silly )

I'd rather spend that 'extra' 15mins in bed.

Personally I use a different method. I just put my jacket on, unlock the door between my house and the garage (which I had put in after I moved into the house), unlock the car, get in, press the remote to open the garage door, start the engine and reverse out of the garage, press the remote to close the garage door and drive away. No problems with icy windows or a very cold car. Works wonderfully.

Hill starts were a barsteward, for my DSG.
Foot on throttle...revs....nothing....BANG! OFF WE GOOOOOOO!:undwech:
Every hill start, you looked like an idiot learner.

Yes, I agree - also, just trying to gently ease into a car park space which is on a small slope.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice. I'll have to book my car in (for a few other things as well :))

Don't understand the thinking behind this one.

Can't be bothered with the 10 seconds it takes to open a garage door..............buy a remote.

Rather than put shoes and coat on to go out in freezing cold to start the car, to then go back in house, taking shoes off again. Not only is this seriously bad for the car ( you are supposed to get them upto temp as quickly as possible without being silly )

I'd rather spend that 'extra' 15mins in bed.

No offence, Japper, but it's hardly as easy as you say.
Retro-installing power doors isn't all that easy and it's damned expensive.
I know, I've looked at it in the past.
I also know all about idling allegedly not being good for your car.
All I can say is, I consider that to be an 'urban myth'.
Never done any apparent harm to any of the cars I/the wife have owned, in all the years I've been doing it.
If it does do any harm, it must manifest itself waaaaay down the line, by which time the car concerned is a distant memory.
Interesting that my old Alfa 156, which I also used this practice on, is still going strong at 85K miles though (I'm meeting the current owner tomorrow actually, for a pint)
That's an allegedly fragile car too, according to the 'experts...:rolleyes:

I also know all about idling allegedly not being good for your car.
All I can say is, I consider that to be an 'urban myth'.
Never done any apparent harm to any of the cars I/the wife have owned, in all the years I've been doing it.
If it does do any harm, it must manifest itself waaaaay down the line, by which time the car concerned is a distant memory.
Interesting that my old Alfa 156, which I also used this practice on, is still going strong at 85K miles though (I'm meeting the current owner tomorrow actually, for a pint)
That's an allegedly fragile car too, according to the 'experts...:rolleyes:

Wasn't meant to be serious bowfer.

But surprised at the retrofit comment. All new build houses, which i trust yours is are 'retrofit' as such. If it's an up and over door then it's not that expensive to fit a opener. Just a motor and chain / track............few hundred quid per door, or at least my last one was.

Depends what you call expensive. I had a new up-and-over powder coated garage door complete with an Autoglide side power operation unit, switch operated from inside the garage, key switch operated from the outside with to remote control operators fitted not that long ago for £1100.

The simplest way to defrost a jar is a jug of warm (not hot) water. Works every time in a matter of seconds.

I'm on my second DSG car. The first one did develop a tendency to be very jerky and clunky when moving away from standstill. My driving style at the time might have been a factor, as I used to put the car in Neutral whilst coming to a halt. I was advised to leave it in gear whilst stopping and whilst stationary where possible. I ended up with a new mechatronic control unit on that car, which fixed the problem, and it never came back.

I now have a TT-S with S-Tronic and it has been fine from new, although sometimes the hesitation before first engages can make it trickier to get out of side streets than it would be with a manual.

If your car is out of warranty, then the cheapest option is to get the dealership to reset the DSG. This should take 2-3 hours of labour as they have to have an engineer drive the car for a couple of hours whilst it relearns how to change.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi,

I've got the same model with the DSG and I assumed that it was a symptom of the DSG because since new my car has always had a totally unrefined 1st gear. From every start when I put my foot down fairly quickly, the gearbox bangs/jerks in exactly the same way. I just put it down to the DSG gearbox being quite rubbish in 1st gear but great in all others!!

Cheers
Paul

Any jerking isn't normal. I have an 08 S line 2.0TDi 140 on loan and the take up and changes are silky smooth, however I take off.

Mine is having a new mechatronic unit fitted to fix the problem.

Depends what you call expensive. I had a new up-and-over powder coated garage door complete with an Autoglide side power operation unit, switch operated from inside the garage, key switch operated from the outside with to remote control operators fitted not that long ago for £1100.

LOL!:)
There are dozens of things I'd rather spend £1100 on than a garage door!
It's a ****** car, when all is said and done.

PS, I heard on the grapevine that the current owner of my A3 isn't too happy with DSG.
Not sure if that's 'in general', or something specifically wrong with it.

LOL!:)
There are dozens of things I'd rather spend £1100 on than a garage door!
It's a ****** car, when all is said and done.

PS, I heard on the grapevine that the current owner of my A3 isn't too happy with DSG.
Not sure if that's 'in general', or something specifically wrong with it.

But, as you've said in the past, there are lots of things you would rather spend your money on that a car, if a percentage of the cost was not being met by your employer. Very little gives me greater please than my car and I like to keep mine in a garage. Each to his own.

since posting this mine been fine but I think my backs knackered from too many back roads and s line suspension. Still Mazda 3&6's are getting cheap .. the MPS version that is.

£150 from B&Q, £2 hours to install, job done.

Providing you want the very basic style, in white without the electric opening. At the time I replaced mine I actually worked part-time at my local B+Q and I did a comparrison of using their prices.

The price for the nearest to the style I wanted from B+Q would have been £579 + £66 for the frame and around £250 for the electric opener and all the associated bits. But the main problem was that they were only available in white and I wanted a brown maintenance-free finish to fit in with the rest of my house.

The total cost from B+Q would have been around £900 plus fitting plus painting. Save £200 to get what I didn't want. Not worth it.

I could easily save a lot more by buying a Focus rather than an A3 but I much prefer the A3. Fortunately I can afford to have what I want.

Still Mazda 3&6's are getting cheap .. the MPS version that is.

Both very nice indeed.:thumbsup:
Either one makes me think the owner knows what they're doing.
'Informed' decisions, if you like, not following the herd.

Just to let you know (in case you did want to :)). I finally put the car into the dealer for another problem (coolant) and mentioned the DSG problem along with a list of other things.

They've come back that it needs a new control unit which will be up to 2 weeks back order.

Hopefully when I get the car back it will be far smoother than what it has been up until this point!

Same issue as mine and 2 weeks is about right. Mine is back to how it was when new.

Mine has never been smooth from new, so I'm quite looking forward to it :)