DSG Folk: Do You Use Your Handbrake?

DSG: Do You Use Your Handbrake?

• Total voters

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
This is one thing that I've always found interesting and would like to know what the majority of you DSG chaps do when it comes to the handbrake.

Over my time of doing retrofits I've came across many DSG Audi's that their owners will use their handbrake as well as the 'Park' on the DSG box, but I've also came across some owners that wont use their handbrakes at all and will just rely purely on the 'P' of their DSG box to secure their car in hope that it will remain in the same place they left it.

I've done a small bit of research and found that when 'P' is engaged on an auto a device called a 'Parking Pawl' is engaged, which locks up the transmission, which would prevent the wheels from free-wheeling. I've also read however that parking on an steep hill and relying purely on the Parking Pawl can be damaging and cause strain to the Parking Pawl and should it fail, would result in costly repairs.

I pick up my DSG this week and I can't see myself not using the handbrake after using it for 5 years already, if not just purely out of habit.

Do you use the handbrake at all on your DSG?

Last edited:
I use the hand brake on my dsg and also in my wife's auto Vw. Been using the hand brake since I started to drive don't think I could change the habit now.

I don't have a DSG but would definitely use the handbrake if I had a car with DSG. I'd rather rely on the handbrake than the transmission... (and I do seeing as I have a manual!)

Exactly my thoughts. I always leave my manual in gear as well as applying the handbrake, just thought it was unusual that I was coming across so many that didnt use their handbrake in their DSG.

I think this question is not just for DSG, but for automatic gearboxes in general. I don't think it's necessary to use the hand brake on level ground as mentioned above. I think it's ok to leave the handbrake off if the car is parked for long periods, like 2weeks+.

Not sure of the design on the latest VAG rear calipers, but you need to use the hand brake for the rear caliper to self adjust when it wears down. The adjustment is built into the handbrake mech, so if you don't use the hand brake at all, I suggest you at least lever the hand brake with the button pressed every now and again.

i use my handbrake on my DSG, i don't like the rocking motion you get when the P brake kicks in

The hand brake is only there to use on hill starts etc.

P is for parking :hi: