DSG flashing PRNDS

nyzrox

Reaction score
Hello all.

So i purchased a 3.2 DSG around 3 months ago now an done around 4000 fault free miles.

However recently I noticed the issue as titled, I stopped put the car in park, then back in drive and carried on with my journey with no more faults.

However recently this issue has intermittently got worse.

I researched this issue and saw a thread where a member NHN replied speaking about a micro switch under the gear shifter.

The issue now is present all the time, so I decided to look for the switch NHN mentioned, so with the ignition on and the car in drive or sport it'll flash, however if I hold this switch down the car is displaying fine.

From what I can see this switch is only pressed when the car is in park, this is the only time the car doesn't present the fault...

So I decided to drive the car and hold the switch down at the same time and there is no fault displaying.

The car drives no different with the fault, all gears used, shifts correctly, manual mode works as do the paddles and sport mode, it has no affect on the car.

NHN said these aren't replaceable an I can believe it, it's in the tightest of places and is rather awkward to get to...

So here's the question. What does it do, an what's stopping me applying some kind of tape to hold it permanently in, or glueing it down?

Any reply a would be great

I'd get it scanned and see what fault codes it brings up. Go from there

I think PRNDS flashing means faulty mechatronics?

Yes, I had the same failure on my CVT auto box in the old A4 - not a cheap fix, I'm afraid :(

Need to scan for errors to confirm though.

So what's this mechatronic unit?

I'm thinking if I do something to make that switch held down all the time or take that switch off and solder the circuit closed the car will be fine.

The car poses no issues at all other then the display flashes, would I not have a few more symptoms of there was a bigger issue at hand.

I'm awaiting for a friend to return from holiday before I can get hooked upto vcds

It's an ECU for the gearbox. Do a search on Google for mechatronics or Stronic problems.

So whats stopping me continuing to drive the vehicle, whats the worse case scenario being the car is working perfectly.

Everybody keeps saying mechatronic yet the car is fine and when the switch is pressed its as if nothing has happened

So whats stopping me continuing to drive the vehicle, whats the worse case scenario being the car is working perfectly.

Everybody keeps saying mechatronic yet the car is fine and when the switch is pressed its as if nothing has happened
You will start losing gears and maybe reverse gear, problem is in the unit there are a load of valves that actuate the the gears, they get sticky and stop working or get really slow, you might get away with a dsg oil and filter change.
When was the last oil and filter change as the recommended times are every 40k?

Could be that switch too, seems be an issue thats becoming common.
This is what im thinking. People keep saying all this mechatronic unit etc however my car has no other issues.

Gears are silky smooth, it pulls off fine no snatching or anything. All gears change correctly 1-2-3-4-5-6, and back when stopping.
Im sure id have my issues if there was a bigger issue at hand, it also makes no sense that the error is gone if i hold the switch down.

Im not sure when it was last done, i dont believe the previous owner serviced the car at all. It is on the list todo, i can do this myself without any issues so will get it done soon and i think tape the switch down.

I wonder what that switch exactly disengages when pressed??? Or does it send a signal to lock the gearbox when pressed, strange how it doesn't affect anything when moving? Or is it the other way round, it tells the gearbox that the car is now out of park and releases the gearbox when pressed???

I wonder what that switch exactly disengages when pressed??? Or does it send a signal to lock the gearbox when pressed, strange how it doesn't affect anything when moving? Or is it the other way round, it tells the gearbox that the car is now out of park and releases the gearbox when pressed???
I have no idea mate, this is what i'd like to find out, rather then everyone just say mechatronics.
If i press the switch the car is back to normal.