dsg fart

Cj_sat69

Reaction score
Got a s4 avant 2012 and wanted to make the dsg fart abit louder without spending silly amount of money
Whats the best way to do this?
Would it be to have a decat done?

Thanks

Stab a few holes in your back box

Reactions: V6_Man
I think the cheapest option is BCS backboxes for getting 0 drone and a bit more noise.... but your still looking at the best part of £800!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having an X-pipe fitted is prob the cheapest way to improve the exhaust

Does this not create a lot of drone? It's hard to get a proper answer from what I have read...

Different PPL say different things drone wise. I suppose it depends on what each individual finds acceptable

Reactions: V6_Man and Carlos85
Different PPL say different things drone wise. I suppose it depends on what each individual finds acceptable

Exactly this, and it's not like you can try before you buy either unless you are lucky enough to have 5 cars with different exhausts near you. Rare if a exhaust comes up for sale for the s4 too.

People claim cheap mods don't really make it much louder and/or introduces more drone. Some say resonated exhausts are too quiet and non res ones drone like pigs.

After researching I ended up just getting a non res milltek and can't see how some people were moaning about bad drone it's really not that bad at all for my ears.

Just been using more petrol since I've had it installed. :)

If you can afford it go full exhaust as it will always be in your mind that you should of done it. There's also a few companies doing 0% on full exhausts DemonT for example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIu45HuORYDbUJlZzFlTEhiSEU/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavis89, xpoweruk and V6_Man
Lol, many different answers. I had a cat back miltek on my 2010 s3 which was dsg, although it sounded abit nicer it had little drone but I found I had lost alot of the dsg noise

Im going to a custome exhaust place so the will make up whatever I want

^^what XP and @mercules^^ said. I have Milltek and I don't know why people moan about drone. Sounds awesome specially after you've thrashed her a little bit.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Exactly this, and it's not like you can try before you buy either unless you are lucky enough to have 5 cars with different exhausts near you. Rare if a exhaust comes up for sale for the s4 too.

People claim cheap mods don't really make it much louder and/or introduces more drone. Some say resonated exhausts are too quiet and non res ones drone like pigs.

After researching I ended up just getting a non res milltek and can't see how some people were moaning about bad drone it's really not that bad at all for my ears.

Just been using more petrol since I've had it installed. :)

If you can afford it go full exhaust as it will always be in your mind that you should of done it. There's also a few companies doing 0% on full exhausts DemonT for example.

That does sound nice, how much did it set you back? Does it ever pop or bang?

1550 plus 150 to install

No but I'm going MRC next month so will ask if they can add some :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: V6_Man

Different options and therefore prices all over tbh. AwesomeGTI are around £1500 +£150-£200 for the install. MDM Technik are £1600-£1650 with 'free install', which works out the same way.

The horses are a bit tricky to get. There are a 'few people' on the forum who had the same view about additional horses however, after their recent visit to MRC they were left disappointed.

XP knows them and has been suggesting ways to keep their morale high

Reactions: xpoweruk
go custom system with an xpipe, iv tried a couple of different set ups and IMO an xpipe gives the best v6 deep rumble iv heard

i had a full custom cat back fitted for £500, and to be honest its far too loud for any sort of motorway driving more than a few miles at a time the drone is very loud between 2-3k which happens to be 70-80mph

i love it !

Reactions: Buxton2901 and V6_Man
I think i would have been really disappointed if I had a resonated milltek system, the non res system definitely has a bit of drone but nothing I can't deal with, and the noise from 2.5k revs onwards makes up for it!

Reactions: xpoweruk and V6_Man
I have a baby on the way so I'm a bit concerned I will make my car a no baby zone... how bad is the drone??

I think i would have been really disappointed if I had a resonated milltek system, the non res system definitely has a bit of drone but nothing I can't deal with, and the noise from 2.5k revs onwards makes up for it!

What rev range do you get the drone in @Lavis89 as I have sat between 1300-2000 (different ranges) as well as between 2200-2800 and I didn't notice any. The only 'drone' that I have felt is when say car is in 7th and you are doing 65-70mph and you press the pedal ever so slightly that you get the drone. It is the same like when you put extra pressure on the engine and it tries to adjust, you press a little harder without making it change the gears and you are out if the drone zone.

Reactions: Carlos85
What rev range do you get the drone in @Lavis89 as I have sat between 1300-2000 (different ranges) as well as between 2200-2800 and I didn't notice any. The only 'drone' that I have felt is when say car is in 7th and you are doing 65-70mph and you press the pedal ever so slightly that you get the drone. It is the same like when you put extra pressure on the engine and it tries to adjust, you press a little harder without making it change the gears and you are out if the drone zone.

That is it, that's the only drone i get, very hilly down in the southwest so i tend to have to have to hold the throttle down quite a bit to get up inclines all the time so probably hear it more than most, but as i've said, it's not a big deal. My last car had a big 3" custom exhaust, so this is practically silent when cruising compared to that!

Reactions: V6_Man and xpoweruk
That is it, that's the only drone i get, very hilly down in the southwest so i tend to have to have to hold the throttle down quite a bit to get up inclines all the time so probably hear it more than most, but as i've said, it's not a big deal. My last car had a big 3" custom exhaust, so this is practically silent when cruising compared to that!

Problem solved then . Go Milltek Non-Res @Carlos85 and trust me you'll be a happy man. It is growly even in the running in period and a proper V6 growl after that. However, of you live close to Oxford, give us a shot and feel free to test drive my car for a better feel - an open offer.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, Carlos85 and mercules
It's either that or remap etc so it's probs gonna be a map first realistically! But deffo food for thought.... I wish I was down your way as that's a generous offer! I'm in lancashire though... cheers

It's either that or remap etc so it's probs gonna be a map first realistically! But deffo food for thought.... I wish I was down your way as that's a generous offer! I'm in lancashire though... cheers

If a decision is to be made between a remap and exhaust then I'd do the map first. Exhaust is purely for sound and trust me you won't get get any more horses from it . Remap my friend transforms an already fast car and takes it to a different level.

Reactions: xpoweruk and Carlos85
If a decision is to be made between a remap and exhaust then I'd do the map first. Exhaust is purely for sound and trust me you won't get get any more horses from it . Remap my friend transforms an already fast car and takes it to a different level.

My thoughts exactly! Debating on just going straight to REVO 1+ with s-tropic map as well... so would be a big difference!

after reading this think remap is going to be the way forward first then worry about exhaust, got a little one on the way to so want to avoid drone as much as i can, looked at superchips map which is £400 and i have AMD down the road from me too but they are priced higher

im in romford, anyone know of any decent companies who can do it for me, think its a on the bench job

Reactions: lea323ci and V6_Man
after reading this think remap is going to be the way forward first then worry about exhaust, got a little one on the way to so want to avoid drone as much as i can, looked at superchips map which is £400 and i have AMD down the road from me too but they are priced higher

im in romford, anyone know of any decent companies who can do it for me, think its a on the bench job

Have read good reviews re: AMD but not tried myself. A colleague had his A5 3.0 Tdi mapped by them and he was quite happy. Why not shop around and see who offers you a good deal.

Milltek are UK made though :)
Back our economy ;)

Reactions: V6_Man and Chop.
Haha the first thing I took from that is that man is not the man of the house :tearsofjoy: and his wife is letting him mod his car

Seriously though, I think the standard exhaust on the S4 is actually quite good in restrictive terms I had more ov my old system cut up at certain points and there's not a lot of baffles and chambers in there like some exhausts, its most just sound deadening

Iv always thought £1000-£1500 was a mental price to pay for a system especially to then get a rezinated one that's not much louder than the standard

What ever make your getting at the end of the day it's just metal pipes all much the same sizes and all the same shapes as each other all your really paying for is a name and the sound so if that's the case then louder the better

Just my opinion though mine is certainaly not quiet and as that boys said I am the one on the school run and on the street people talk about but I'm a boys racer at heart and not ready to grow up, plus my 2 sons love it so for now bring the noise :imp:

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, V6_Man and xpoweruk
Haha the first thing I took from that is that man is not the man of the house :tearsofjoy: and his wife is letting him mod his car

she is so sweet, isn't she

Reactions: Chop.
How about this ;) :D

Reactions: V6_Man and xpoweruk
I've got the Milltek Valvesonic. £3k new!

Like OEM+ until you open the valves (manually, or autonatically above 4k), then all hell breaks loose.

DSG fart sounds like a cannon!

I would have to have a lot of disposable cash before I could even think about getting the valvesonic... I don't know how that much money can ever be justified for what essentially works out as a bit more noise! Having said that it's the ideal system really for living with day to day!

I've got the Milltek Valvesonic. £3k new!

Like OEM+ until you open the valves (manually, or autonatically above 4k), then all hell breaks loose.

DSG fart sounds like a cannon!

It is an superb sounding system.I love mine

Reactions: V6_Man and Chop.
3k :fearscream: I should have got a job at miltek

I'm just jealous my budget was £500 :tearsofjoy:

3k :fearscream: I should have got a job at miltek

I'm just jealous my budget was £500 :tearsofjoy:

Poor man's exhaust for half the price but same tips

6c5e912f566d412f0810c9fe6df26b52.jpg

Reactions: Carlos85, xpoweruk and Chop.