DSG downshift clunk?!

AndyWin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Before I start... I have searched the forum for similar queries to mine and couldn't quite find anything so specific. So I apologise if ive been bone idle and re asked a past topic.

Anyhoo, i recently got my myself an s3 with dsg. This is my first time away from manual so I'm still getting used to usual behaviour, noises etc... When the car drops to 1st and sometimes second when coming to a stop, I hear a kind of clunk. It's nothing major , the car flys up and down with no issues at all and generally drives fantastic otherwise. Is this the usual in a dsg box? Most people tell me it's fine and obviously, the dealer also told me the same.

Just thought I'd run it by all yee audi faithful and shed some light on this for me?!

Apart from this im buzzing me balls off over owning this car!!

It is very normal. I have it on my S4 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndyWin
Plus, it happens and depends on your foot placement on the accelerator as well. It won’t happen if you have foot on the pedal and are slowing down , i.e. just enough press for the car to move in that gear. It will happen if you are reaching from 3rd to 2nd and come to a standstill-ish that the clunk happens. It is gearbox trying to adjust, it thinks you’ll probably need 4 so is ready for ups gift but then sudden change in speed it downshifts.

Link edited as the previous one wasn’t working.

Plus, it happens and depends on your foot placement on the accelerator as well. It won’t happen if you have foot on the pedal and are slowing down , i.e. just enough press for the car to move in that gear. It will happen if you are reaching from 3rd to 2nd and come to a standstill-ish that the clunk happens. It is gearbox trying to adjust, it thinks you’ll probably need 4 so is ready for ups gift but then sudden change in speed it downshifts.

I can
You need to maybe change your driving habits a tad bit - we all have them don’t we .

An interested read if you have spare time on how to avoid wtf DSG moments

http://forums.vwvortex.com/#/

Thanks for that mate. I can drive easy now

Reactions: V6_Man
Phew. Still changing DSG oil though on mine. Due anyway.

Servicing the DSG, if not done so in 40k miles makes sense. Fluid and filter change can make a big difference. Running through an adaptation cycle can also make things smoother.