Dropped an allen key in engine bay

jackj

Reaction score
Hi all,

Whilst helping my Dad cleaning out the air filter in his Golf GT TDI 2007, I accidently dropped an allen key - oops! It fell straight to the bottom on the plastic undertray of the car. Had the torch out and cannot see the allen key anywhere. Started the engine and there's no rattling or anything.

Just wondering if we should be concerned that the allen key could jump up and cause any damage or anything? It was only a small 1.5mm key.

Help much appreciated,

Cheers

Last edited:
Can't see why not.
Its not like its going to jump up with enough force to smash the sump or fly up several inches in to the fans at the front.
More than likely it will roll/bounce around till it falls out on the road.

If you're really worried tried a magnet and pick it up that way or use it to guide allen out from the tray.

I got a 8mm socket on my tray some where and a clip.
I can't be assed to it out or remove the tray. lol

Haha my Dad is like that, he just can't be fussed removing the tray, and to be honest neither can I - even though I should as I'm the one who dropped it!

Thanks for all the input, will just have to wait till it falls out

I dropped a small screwdriver down there the other day, was gonna leave it but I could just about see it & it was annoying me so I removed the airbox & just about managed to reach it!

Cant see it jumping up and causing any damage though Tbh, I'd leave it.

What is the easiest way to remove the under tray though? I think my Dad is considering doing this now. Would it be to just jack the car up at one side or?

undo one under tray screw the one under the drivers footwell pull this corner down then give the tray a good thumping in the middle anything on the tray will end up falling out at the lowest point

I'd be more concerned about it falling out on the drive and going through your tyre.

why not just jack the front up and tap the under tray til it slides out?

why not just jack the front up and tap the under tray til it slides out?

Thats what I'd do, and then it will fall out the back. If I didn't do that it would probably jump up and knock my timing belt off...