Droning/howling noise near turbo

aeroelastic

Reaction score
hi, have been having this noise for a few weeks now. It's a 2.0 tdi BRE. Took the air intake plastic away today and the noise is from around the turbo.

It's a constant droning/howling noise...a bit like bearing failure noise..This is to my best description. Not that loud that pedestrian will hear but it's quite noticeable in the cabin while driving. It's constant regardless of speed or rpm. It's doing it while idling. More noticeable while driving around 50mph, kind of combining with tyre noise.

Tried checking for loose pipes or connection by grabbing and pulling around turbo but things seem tight.

Anyone can help? Will failing turbo do this?

Mine makes a noise like Darth Vader breathing and you can hear it at tick over and whilst driving....but more so when you put your foot down or turn the engine off.

Did it get worse overtime?

No mine has always made the noise....more so when I installed a K&N panel filter and even more since having it mapped. I think it's just a trait of owning an Audi TDi.

I'll try and get a good recording of the sound later today for you to listen too so you can compare it to yours.

Reactions: Alex Richardson