Drl P21w Led

Murton

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know LED bulb topics seem to come up very regularly but I have been looking for a LED replacement for my P21W DRL bulb. From various suppliers they say it seems to be fairly random whether they work without errors. The best advice I have been given is to go for the 50W CREE equivalent as that has the best chance of working and I can send it back if it doesn't.

Has anyone actually replaced theirs and can recommend a specific bulb and UK supplier that works?

I know LED bulb topics seem to come up very regularly but I have been looking for a LED replacement for my P21W DRL bulb. From various suppliers they say it seems to be fairly random whether they work without errors. The best advice I have been given is to go for the 50W CREE equivalent as that has the best chance of working and I can send it back if it doesn't.

Has anyone actually replaced theirs and can recommend a specific bulb and UK supplier that works?

Here you go http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/audi-8p3-led-drl-sidelight-upgrade-bulb.171764/
I have the 9w version fitted to mine and they work fine. Although if buying again I would probably go for the 20w version as I feel the side facing leds would give a better spread of light with the reflectors in the light fitting. My 9w is a little bit like a torch beam shining straight out, still a great improvement over standard though.

Hope this helps

Thank you. That thread is mainly for the 8p3 non xenon headlamps. Mine are the bi-xenon headlamps which take the P21W bulb. I did see later in the thread a mention of these bulbs however I have already emailed Trups last week and was informed that I would need VCDS to change a setting to avoid errors. I was really after a bulb which didn't require any modifications.

I bought the 9W ones from Trups in the end as I have VCDS myself.
Once coded they do not produce errors. The side lights and DRLs both come on when either the DRLs are switched on or when the side lights are on. When the dip beam is on then the DRLs are dimmed.
So you can remove the side light holder and cable tie it to some wiring to avoid the yellow bulb light spoiling the effect. MOT should not be an issue as the DRL is acting as a side light.