drl bulb removal

a3rob

Reaction score
Hi guys. So today the os drl died and needs a new bulb. I have small hands but can I chuff get the bulb out. Any ideas please as I'd prefer not to visit my local audi due to their shocking customer service.
Thank you.

Which year? Easiest way for 09 onwards is bumper off and headlight out.

That's me assuming they're halogen headlamps and not xenon lamps which the DRLs can't be removed.

It's a 2008 first of face lift. They aren't xenon lamps either. I can grab the bulb holder but it's a chore to do much more. They seriously haven't produced a car that needs bumper off to change a bulb. ???

It's a 2008 first of face lift. They aren't xenon lamps either. I can grab the bulb holder but it's a chore to do much more. They seriously haven't produced a car that needs bumper off to change a bulb. ???
. They have and there are quite a few vag cars that need the bumper off. Try a pair of long nose pliers.

Photo of what you are seeing.
On my my11 S3 I just pull off light surround.
Undo screws around drl.
Unclip bulb from rear.

1st pic.

Attachments

• 20160313_095622.jpg
    20160313_095622.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 542
Sorry pics aren't fab but it's hard to take much better.

Attachments

• 20160313_095434.jpg
    20160313_095434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 526
You'll struggle without the headlight out, believe me I've been there done that.

Really useful links vid that is. Think I'll crack on with it myself. Could I just ask. What's the best bulb to use as replacements? The standard ones or are there any brighter. ?

Hi all. Just wanted to update you on this. The bumper doesn't need to be removed at all. It was my technique causing the issues. I ordered new bulbs and fitted them in minutes. The above video really helped. Thanks again.

Hi all. Just wanted to update you on this. The bumper doesn't need to be removed at all. It was my technique causing the issues. I ordered new bulbs and fitted them in minutes. The above video really helped. Thanks again.

Hi there, glad you managed to get your drls out. I'm in the same boat, been trying to get the bulbs out all week now to no avail. Could you go over the technique you used to remove them without taking the bumper off?

I think I've read every guide out there but no luck so far - I've tried pulling the light mount, the wires, twisting etc. but they just won't budge! Some guides mention using the wires to pull the casing out but don't want to pull the wires too hard in case I break a connection.

Would rather not have to take the bumper off so any info would be great.

Cheers!

what about removing the front few screws of the wheel arch liner and folding it back you can access the bulbs for the xenon light s that way so im sure you should be able to gain access to the drl bulb from there

what about removing the front few screws of the wheel arch liner and folding it back you can access the bulbs for the xenon light s that way so im sure you should be able to gain access to the drl bulb from there
Access isn't possible like that. It's very easy the usual normal way.

Hi there, glad you managed to get your drls out. I'm in the same boat, been trying to get the bulbs out all week now to no avail. Could you go over the technique you used to remove them without taking the bumper off?

I think I've read every guide out there but no luck so far - I've tried pulling the light mount, the wires, twisting etc. but they just won't budge! Some guides mention using the wires to pull the casing out but don't want to pull the wires too hard in case I break a connection.

Would rather not have to take the bumper off so any info would be great.

Cheers!
Hi. It's seriously very easy once you have the technique. I've small hands so it was ok for me. For example using the drivers side lamp once rear cover is off I kinda dug my right hand in and located the bulb holder. Once it was in my hand it was a simple turn anti clockwise and pull. Out came the bulb. Just need to be patient because it's quite tight. The passenger side I used my left hand and same technique. Absolutely no need to take the bumper off at all.

no good for me then ,hands like shovels lol id be inclined to loosen the head light mount bolts give it a few extra mm.