Driving with the boot open

andyt99

Reaction score
Not properly open obviously! But this is definitely worth a try:

* Take your parcel shelf out.
* Open your boot and gently close it so that it catches on the latch. You should find that it has about 5mm of play but it won't open. Your boot open warning will show though.
* Put your car in dynamic and go for a spirited drive.
* Thank me later!

Oh.. and don't do it too much because you do get fumes into the cabin..

That suggestion gets a rare "LOL" from me!

I was thinking that taking the parcel shelf out and boot floor may also enhance the sound?!

Reactions: Radman
I'm not entirely sure what happens, but the sound changes loads. I don't think it's just allowing the extra noise to come in, it might even be that the boot door vibrates, not sure. It's crazy anyway! Maybe it's just my car.. someone else try it!

So a bit like opening the rear windows ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc
Here's an audio file of the effect. They're all in dynamic with the mic in exactly the same place. First is with boot and windows closed. Second is with the boot on that not-quite-closed latch and the windows all still closed. The third is boot closed but all windows open. You can hear the difference although the MP3 doesn't even really do it justice.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s14rTz5qPRGb

2 and 3 not that different to my ears.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

1 & 3 sound similar but 2 has a rasp that the others don't have. It's very different in real life. I can't believe no-one else has tried it?!

First time today since I've owned the car where I 'had' to park in a multi-storey car park...what a noise!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Terminator x
1 & 3 sound similar but 2 has a rasp that the others don't have. It's very different in real life. I can't believe no-one else has tried it?!

I'd just never think of leaving my boot half open, all for more noise.

I'd just never think of leaving my boot half open, all for more noise.
Perhaps I misled with the title. It's not half open, it's just gently closed so that it's only on the first latch. To the eye, it's closed and it's in no real danger of popping open. Maybe I need to make a video.

Perhaps I misled with the title. It's not half open, it's just gently closed so that it's only on the first latch. To the eye, it's closed and it's in no real danger of popping open. Maybe I need to make a video.

Yeah I understand what you mean, like when you shut any door but they latch just don't quite shut.

Here's an audio file of the effect. They're all in dynamic with the mic in exactly the same place. First is with boot and windows closed. Second is with the boot on that not-quite-closed latch and the windows all still closed. The third is boot closed but all windows open. You can hear the difference although the MP3 doesn't even really do it justice.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s14rTz5qPRGb
Sounds good, and agree about the raspy sound in the second one. Sounds like that are addictive!