Driving Standards or Sunday Drivers?

SammyA

Reaction score
Went to go drop something off at a friend's house today. Two near misses in a ten minute journey, both of which potentially very dangerous and both very avoidable. First of which, woman in an ancient Ford KA completely cut the corner as I was coming to a T Junction and almost took the front end of my car off. Not even a look to apologise. Second incident where a car was overtaking an oncoming van, didn't have enough space as I was there but decided to continue overtaking anyway, if I hadn't of stopped would have been a definite near miss.

Is it Sundays? Or are the standards of driving and consideration for others just a joke?

Am I old? All I have done since joining this forum is post in this section... Im supposed to be 20!

Every time I go to work, I'm glad I make it there in one piece! Driving standards have dropped, and everyone blames everyone else these days! My mum was hit from behind in November, luckily the other person admitted fault after I put an insurance claim in, cos she would settle with the cost price settlement I was offering.... My dad had a car accident on New Year's Day! The cars a write off, I'm just happy he wasn't hurt, he's admitted liability for that one!

People just don't give a **** about anyone else and believe they are a higher being than everyone on the road in relation to that the standards have dropped, I get it pretty much everyday, if it's not someone using the manuver indicator method without looking in the mirror then it's staying in the wrong lane whilst they have no idea you've been sat behind them for the last 5 miles, I see hundreds of people driving whilst face booking or txting or calling, I spend quite a lot of time in the car and have hands free if I'm making a call and actually manage to last the whole journey without having to check what my besty has liked on my FB Page, Saturday me and the misses went out and in the first ten minutes we had two people trying to use my lane whilst driving towards me, I tried to blame the sun but it was actually in my eyes not there's, I could go on, I have a dash cam and could spend hours making a montage of all the prats but tbh I have better things to do with my time.

Standards of driving have dropped, how some passed a driving test is beyond me.

I blame the government, in Manchester they've cut traffic cops from 300 to 80 in 10 years, multiply that across the 43 police forces, says it all to me, no chance of getting stopped for poor driving so drive like you want, simple.

Standards of driving have dropped, how some passed a driving test is beyond me.

Ha, the driving test is no proof you have real driving ability/common sense/consideration of others. I remember my driving instructor saying to me "Right I'll teach you to drive so you can pass your test, then you can learn how to drive properly" now there's honesty for you.

Reactions: jojo
Ha, the driving test is no proof you have real driving ability/common sense/consideration of others. I remember my driving instructor saying to me "Right I'll teach you to drive so you can pass your test, then you can learn how to drive properly" now there's honesty for you.
This is too true! I had a great driving instructor with the same thoughts. On my first lesson, he took me onto a bypass to do 70mph, I've not even driven before, but he said he wanted to get the speed thing out the way first before we get all serious, and after passing my test, he drove me home just driving casually, and told me I can do this now! :racer:

My old man was a driving instructor, he could teach people to drive anything except motor bikes, his licence is just a mass of letters lol! So I was tought how to drive as soon as I could reach the pedals, I was reversing a LWB landcruiser with a twin axeled trailer before I could legally drive, I feel all the years of it being drummed into my head has done me well though.

Driving is such a large part of life nowadays, I seriously can't see any harm in it being taught in schools. It doesn't have to be much but even driving theory in a classroom could be made interesting enough to engage secondary school age children. I remember being taught how to doodle in school, surely driving theory is much more practical and interesting?

I think better education is the key to raising driving standards.

SammyA, I understand what you are saying about people cutting corners at T junctions. ****** dangerous. A white Range Rover cut the corner badly the other day when I was trying to turn left. I had to stop to avoid him turning into me. Of course if he hit me the lines on the road would indicate its his fault, but to proof it would be a major insurance hassle, hence i stopped. He didn't even acknowledge the situation.

This is just one of the many examples of bad driving. At first I thought its the driving standard in decline, but after more and more situations i just think its people with bad manners who don't give a s**t about anyone.