Driving modes

Mike.46

Reaction score
Anybody else wish that the manual was more descriptive over the differences between the driving modes and what is actually changing instead of stuff like

''dynamic, gives the car a tighter set up''? What does that mean ***?

Or why doesnt it mention that in RS Peformance mode the 'S' programme is more aggressive/later on gear changes than in other modes?

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and RSt3ve
Anybody else wish that the manual was more descriptive over the differences between the driving modes and what is actually changing instead of stuff like

Or why doesnt it mention that in RS Peformance mode the 'S' programme is more aggressive/later on gear changes than in other modes?

I do wonder sometimes if even Audi know what’s what with the driving modes……..

You can imagine the development meeting

“Oooooo that sounds exciting, let’s add it to the menu”

“Yes but what does it actually do?”

“Dunno but it sounds great”

Job done……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46
RS torque splitter

depending on the selected settings....varies the distribution of power on the rear axle from dynamic to comfortable ????????

Why cant it say ''sends more of the power rearwards and distributes a higher percentage to the outer wheel to help push you around the corner'' (and kill the understeer weve been dishing out for the last 20 years)

I can just imagine Max or Lewis asking for a more dynamic rear set up on mid corner to corner exit and the engineer thinking 'get this banker out of the car ***''

What modes are you guys enjoying the most? My thoughts so far (limited based on only having recently completed the run in):

Dynamic - Good for a sporty drive but still feels fairly reserved, could get away with using it in calmer conditions, not that you'd want to. I've found this is most akin to Sports+ on an A35/A45

RS Performance - The lairiest by far, louder and lower geared than Dynamic. Won't change gear unless it absolutely has to (which is what you want from this mode) but makes it quite impractical if you haven't got an open road in front of you as you'll be stuck in 2nd gear doing 35mph behind another car.

Comfort/Auto - Fine and as expected, a bit of lag at slower speeds but not much more than I've experienced in other cars.

I've setup individual to be comfort suspension, balanced everything else and pronounced noise. Quite good for a daily drive mode.

Last edited:
RS torque splitter

depending on the selected settings....varies the distribution of power on the rear axle from dynamic to comfortable ????????

Why cant it say ''sends more of the power rearwards and distributes a higher percentage to the outer wheel to help push you around the corner'' (and kill the understeer weve been dishing out for the last 20 years)

I can just imagine Max or Lewis asking for a more dynamic rear set up on mid corner to corner exit and the engineer thinking 'get this banker out of the car ***''

On the subject of the TS.
I’ve come across the TS display option in VCDS, similar to the golf 8R I imagine where it displays the vehicle wheels and under them it turns red etc depending on what torque is going to what wheel.

I’ve turned it on, but it produces an error out of range, so either the 8Y doesn’t support it or something else is required to be enabled.

On the subject of the TS.
I’ve come across the TS display option in VCDS, similar to the golf 8R I imagine where it displays the vehicle wheels and under them it turns red etc depending on what torque is going to what wheel.

I’ve turned it on, but it produces an error out of range, so either the 8Y doesn’t support it or something else is required to be enabled.

Interesting.

On the modes more descriptive info would enable me to set what I would like instead of having to try different combinations to get there.

As a reply to What modes are you guys enjoying the most?

Every day and longer journey type stuff normally 'Auto' it seems to give the same mpg as Efficiency without the coasting

I cant see the point of Dynamic (correct me if I am wrong) as if i'm that sort of mood there is individual or RS performance to choose from

I was using RS performance in manual mode (as said it hangs onto gears too long with DSG in auto) recently I have been using individual, but I have to admit it's a little like Sky TV with lots of channels and nothing on that I want to watch.

I have'nt tried the Torque rear gimmick yet as after watching all the you tube demo's I just cant see the point? a little like the Vauxhall Nova lads that place tea trays under the rear wheels in car parks (with handbrake on) and do skids for want of a better word

Reactions: VAGRANT and Carbon89
a little like the Vauxhall Nova lads that place tea trays under the rear wheels in car parks (with handbrake on) and do skids for want of a better word
they actually do that? Bet that looks rather amusing to watch lol

Fully agree, even if it was able to be switched off it would be good to know. Not many can recite the manual word for word.

What modes are you guys enjoying the most? My thoughts so far (limited based on only having recently completed the run in):

Dynamic - Good for a sporty drive but still feels fairly reserved, could get away with using it in calmer conditions, not that you'd want to. I've found this is most akin to Sports+ on an A35/A45

RS Performance - The lairiest by far, louder and lower geared than Dynamic. Won't change gear unless it absolutely has to (which is what you want from this mode) but makes it quite impractical if you haven't got an open road in front of you as you'll be stuck in 2nd gear doing 35mph behind another car.

Comfort/Auto - Fine and as expected, a bit of lag at slower speeds but not much more than I've experienced in other cars.

I've setup individual to be comfort suspension, balanced everything else and pronounced noise. Quite good for a daily drive mode.
I'm enjoying RS Performance Manual the most, rarely out of it, if I'm feeling lazy Dynamic D mode but thats rare. S mode just isn't for me once rolling.

Reactions: Carbon89 and Add_Profile
they actually do that? Bet that looks rather amusing to watch lol

Surely most Novas are dead by now? That was my first car, 1.4 SR in blue with 3 spoke alloys!

Surely most Novas are dead by now? That was my first car, 1.4 SR in blue with 3 spoke alloys!

An SR!! Now that was a proper Nova for a first car!

Reactions: kayemill
I still think the best mode is Auto with gearbox in S.

RS Individual is louder; but it is all artificial sound pumped in.
RS Performance is like everyone else said holding the gears so you sound like an idiot driving normally - of course it is meant for the track where you will be going fast enough that you won’t sound like an idiot.

Dynamic does seem totally pointless here - on the previous RS3 it was the sportiest mode but now it isn’t.

I also haven’t tried RS Torque Rear as I don’t fancy drifting into any other cars! (Not that you would drift right away - you do have to really flick it into a corner to do anything).

I still think the best mode is Auto with gearbox in S.

RS Individual is louder; but it is all artificial sound pumped in.
RS Performance is like everyone else said holding the gears so you sound like an idiot driving normally - of course it is meant for the track where you will be going fast enough that you won’t sound like an idiot.

Dynamic does seem totally pointless here - on the previous RS3 it was the sportiest mode but now it isn’t.

I also haven’t tried RS Torque Rear as I don’t fancy drifting into any other cars! (Not that you would drift right away - you do have to really flick it into a corner to do anything).
RS modes pump in engine sound, not exhaust, that's organic. So it's not 'all pumped in' and to be honest, the engine sound is only marginally lifted. And it's not artificial, it's amplified organic engine noise.

Artificial would be having the 5 pot sound like a v8. All the pumping in is doing is bypassing the well insulated cabin.

Reactions: vatdim and 3vans
Admittedly in the "using the gearbox" section rather than the driving dynamics section, and about as specific as "gives the car a tighter setup" :) but it's there.
Screenshot 2022 05 08 at 120112

Agreed. Thought exactly that a while back…

Annoys me too that individual isn’t as individual as I’d like it to be - I would like to be able to activate the rev limit display on the HUD but it won’t let me and that only works in rs performance mode.

I basically use comfort/auto if in traffic and just cruising along.

Switch to rs individual for fast road, switching between D and S subject to traffic.

Rs performance only when on a hoon.

Reactions: Terminator x
New owner here.
In the RS Performance and Individual modes do you only get the silly runway rev counter display with no speedo, or can you switch to a normal round rev counter and speedo display whilst still in the RS modes?
I've read the manual but must of missed something...

What modes are you guys enjoying the most?
Around town I tend to leave it in Auto mode then flick it into S when wanting to pick a gap while crossing traffic, it pops the engine revs up a few hundred which reduces the dead/laggy initial take off.

New owner here.
In the RS Performance and Individual modes do you only get the silly runway rev counter display with no speedo, or can you switch to a normal round rev counter and speedo display whilst still in the RS modes?
I've read the manual but must of missed something...

Turn auto activation of RS layout off in Settings/VC.

Reactions: Mike.46 and garethdj
Turn auto activation of RS layout off in Settings/VC.

I did that very early on, 'If' they had auto activation of the 8V large central rev counter I might have left that on, Hockey stick and runway just doesnt do it for me

Reactions: Daggerit
I did that very early on, 'If' they had auto activation of the 8V large central rev counter I might have left that on, Hockey stick and runway just doesnt do it for me

It’s a terrible layout.

Reactions: cooperp
I agree, I don't like them. That being said, I leave it to switch to the hockey stick layout automatically because it brings up the oil temp on the screen as well as being able to have more performance related data displayed versus the normal layout. The hockey stick still bugs me but I use it as a means to an end. :)

Mines mainly been in Dynamic since day 1 - done around 1200miles now. I do knock the gearbox into S mode from time to time but it hangs onto the gears for too long.

Is S-Mode different depending on drive modes? I've not tested that.

Mines mainly been in Dynamic since day 1 - done around 1200miles now. I do knock the gearbox into S mode from time to time but it hangs onto the gears for too long.

Is S-Mode different depending on drive modes? I've not tested that.
Yes, S mode in 'RS' individual hangs on to gears a little bit longer, same as sport in any other mode I would think, In the 2nd RS Performance mode it hangs onto gears far too long to be any use for daily driving.

If I use RS Performace mode I tend to use the paddles, I just select it back to Auto (pull and hold paddle for 3 secs) if I am going to squirt it to the red line in 1st or 2nd as you just cant judge the gear change accurate enough and end up hitting the rpm limiter

Reactions: RS03???, cooperp and Daggerit