Driving in the Snow - Multitronics

will89

Reaction score
I have posted this in 'General Automotive' a while ago and with 105 views i still haven't had a reply. So i thought i would put it in here too...

Most automatic's have got a snow button, now how do i put it in 2nd gear on a multitronic to get grip in the snow? It doesn't let you pull away in 2nd when on tip mode...

The car is a 1.9tdi 130 Multitronic with a PSI tuning box.

You can't do it.

I used to have a multitronic - I hated it in the snow.
No traction when moving away.

My brother's VW Golf felt safer than my Audi Multitronic.

I now have a Audi Tip Quattro :)

Great! :yes:

Looks like i might have to invest in some snow chains then to get me up my hill if it snows! I had a 2007 ford focus 1.6 last winter and that couldn't get up the hill, and that had brand new falken fk452's on it

I've got a 1.9 Tdi Sport with 235 section tyres, and a Vauxhall Corsa B with 165 section tyres. The little Corsa is the only car I'll drive in snow; total confidence in it. :cold:

had no problems with mine last year in the snow i live on a hill and it turns to ice very fast where i am and in the audi it had no problems coping with this at all evan when i tested the esp to see just how good it is good job done there buy audi ;-)

Amen to that ! Even with all season tyres the quattro makes easy work from moving on snow and ice but its the stopping wich is problematic ! Had no problems pulling away with me a4 avant quattro on 18" rims and big brakes,but the fricking ABS was working all the time...i wish they all had a ABS off switch, will make driving in snow soo much more fun and the ESP sucks on ice, i do preffer mechanicals over electronic aids and i am quite good at driving in the snow, been driving on the white stuff for 20 years in Eastern Europe without quattro's or snow chains!

the ESP you can turn off lol although id rather it on myself

DO NOT assume quattro turns your car into some snow conquering beast.

Quattro only allows you to get enough traction to put the power down onto the road. Your braking and steering are still just the same as every other 2wd car on the road, meaning while you have manage to accellerate up to 30mph when everyone else is sliding about at 5mph, when you try to stop or turn your going to end up in a ditch.

A FWD car on decent winter tyres will without a doubt outperform a quattro car on summer tyres.

Snow chains may sound like a good idea, but they only work in snow, and having to continually get out and fit/remove them when you reach or leave gritted/ploughed roads will get boring very quickly.

I've decided i want proper winter tyres this year, because not only to they perform much better in the snow, but they perform better in ALL cold weather conditions due to the different rubber compound used.

well "driving" includes being able to stop and turn...

The ONLY advantage a 4wd system gives you in the snow is enough traction to move forward. If you can move forward but cant stop or steer then its more dangerous than the FWD car that cant move at all. The quattro on summer tyres will find grip, and will get you moving, but it'll still perform just as hopelessly as a FWD car on summer tyres when it comes to steering and stopping. The FWD car on proper winter tyres may have less forward traction, but at least you can control it. (depending ofcourse on the exact tyres fitted to both cars, some summer tyres are spectacularly bad, and in those cases the FWD car on winters would probably have more forward traction too)

Obviously a 4wd car with snow tyres will be better, but not by any great amount when it comes to stopping and turning.

Obviously a 4wd car with snow tyres will be better, but not by any great amount when it comes to stopping and turning.

I'd agree FWD and quattro are the same when braking in snow/ice but when turning with a bit of power in the quattro you have 4 wheels turning and therefore giving traction against the surface you're driving on. Turning while braking of course is a different matter. And turning with the **** end out and 4 wheels spinning a joy matched by few things :)

comparing quattro on summer tyres and fwd on winters isn't really fair though as a bicycle on proper, studded winter tyres will outperform an RS4 on summer tyres (OK, bit extreme).

I'm told this is the dog's danglies if you want a winter tyre but can't drive with studs (obviously the case in Britain because there isn't a prolonged snowy period to justify putting studded tyres on) Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

I drive with studded Pirellis in Finland just now and the combination of quattro & studded tyres is unbeatable. It's an entirely different experience to being stuck suddenly in Britain with a week or two of snow and ice.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Last edited:
DO NOT assume quattro turns your car into some snow conquering beast.

A FWD car on decent winter tyres will without a doubt outperform a quattro car on summer tyres.

No mate, the quattro will still have the edge especially when you engine brake all 4 wheels (manual car). I really dont like ESP allthough it might be ok on a smooth straight line drive on icy roads. Just got me a c5 allroad tdi, just looking forward to the snow now...need to get me some 17" winter tyres me thinks !

Try a standing start on a hill on total ice with your ESP on, its impossible. I got stuck last December when we had awful snow and ice here, I only got stuck because I stopped to help a nurse who was stuck, anyway off she drove once I got her going and there I was, stuck on this unlit country lane in the middle of nowhere and couldn't get going for the life of me. Anyway eventually another motorist came along, in a VW Golf, and told me to knock off the ESP.................. and off I went no problem. He was an ex-A4 owner.

i live on a hill and it always ices up the audi with its ESP on helps a lot all be it i think if i stoped on it it would strugle to get going again found this on youtube have a look although i do see when he dose the icey hill he is not starting on it but you can clearly see ESP is a big help well i think :yum:

YouTube - Top Gear - Fifth Gear - Bosch ESP

Last edited:
I mean a standing start on ice, ESP definitely helps when mobile but hinders when attempting to start off. Try it next time you have icy roads.

ha how do mate no i think he did not read it right as i did say in it i think if i stoped on it it would strugle to get going again and i do see when he dose the icey hill he is not starting on it