Driving abroad - France

monster_munch

Reaction score
Next week me and the good lady are off on a road trip to Paris for 5 days, visiting Disneyland and Paris itself.

We are driving there in my trusty 53 plate, 51k mile A3 2.0 TDI.

Before we go I will check all my engine fluids, tyre pressures and make sure the car is tip top.

I have taken out a 9 day european breakdown cover policy with 'start rescue'. I will have a vehicle pack up with the breakdown documents, my insurance documents, the cars MOT certificate, V5 etc.

I have also got a white GB sticker for the back, some breathalysers, spare bulb kit, hi viz vests x2 and beam deflectors.

Have I missed anything off? First time driving abroad for years so a little apprehensive and dont want to forget anything!

looks like you got everything you need
have a good trip
i did disney last year next time ill fly.

Make sure you keep the hi viz vests in the door pocket and put them on before getting off the car IF pulled by the fuzz ! You will be ok, paris is not that far anyway. Where will you stay ? The Disneyland is very, very expensive for what it is !

Reactions: GvZ
List seems complete.

I prefer driving in france than over here. They seem to understand lanes a lot better than we do.

If the worst does happen and you have to phone the break down people, I would not really bother.
Depending on how bad the car is, I would try and limp it back to the ferry and if you can get on and off the ferry bonus.
The ferry people are really understanding if you have a semi broken car and will help you out the best they can.
When back on the UK soil phone a UK break down people to get home.

Enjoy the trip. :)

can i butt in for a second.
how many tolls do you have
between CALAIS and PARIS.
How much are the tolls.
My mate said he paid 2 EUROS
and there was only one toll
till he got to PARIS.

can i butt in for a second.
how many tolls do you have
between CALAIS and PARIS.
How much are the tolls.
My mate said he paid 2 EUROS
and there was only one toll
till he got to PARIS.

Toll prices very on the distance you travel and the Toll road.
I'm not sure on Paris when I went to Le-mans and Spain the prices varied from a couple of Euros to about 20 euros.
The tolls are worth it, they roads are fast, quiet and really good quality.
You don't miss out much of the country but you don't go through any little villages or towns like the normal roads.

thanks,
last time we went to EURO DISWNEY in 1997 they charged 9-10 FRENCH FRANCS
which equated to £1.10p at the time.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have all the main things covered then.
We are staying in the Disneyland hotel.
Ah toll roads is something I didnt take into consideration. I will make sure I get some Euro coins to keep in the car handy!

spare key

Oh yes, very good idea...we had bought our Avant a week before we took it to Brittany. Within a few days of being there, the only key we had stopped working! Not knowing the car, I had a bit of a panic until I used the key to open the door which somehow reset everything!

Also have a look here Rules abroad for chains and winter tyres | AA

The poster above asking about toll charges. There is a Michelin website, I think ViaMichelin: Itinéraires, Cartes, Trafic, Météo et Réservation d'hôtels en France et en Europe which allows you to put in start and end point and gives you toll charges. Used it before and it was fairly accurate from what I recall.

Take a warning triangle.

i agree that driving is much easier in France, far better lane discipline on motorways!

we stayed at a campsite called la croix du vieux pont, less than an hour from Disney, less than 2 hours from Calais, good facilities and relatively cheap, I would recommend it. We also stayed at the Disney davey Crockett ranch another year, not worth the (much!) extra money IMO

We've drove to morzine in France last two seasons for our usual snowboard break. You got everything you need there pal. Toll roads are a bit costly but defo worth using. 4 of us in the b6 avant 150,000 on the clock. Ton all the way there. Happy days!!!!!

How did you get on?

A little late but I'm sure a First Aid kit is required too...

Also what type of beam deflectors did you use? If they where the sticky ones have you managed to get them off the plastic lenses without scratching them to buggery?