driveways opitions

martin1984

Reaction score
so i have patch of lawn maybe 2m by 2.5 looking to turn in into part of drive so can park car.
looking for cheapest opition that i can do myself so what have you done or had done cost pro and cons?
i know gravel is prob the cheapest but have concerns about car being on it also jacking car up etc.4
so any thoughts suggestion

Can’t you just dig a couple of foot out and fill it with concrete? That’s how they make foundations for buildings I’m sure it’ll hold your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t you just dig a couple of foot out and fill it with concrete? That’s how they make foundations for buildings I’m sure it’ll hold your car.

Hi yea that could be a opiton just doesnt look the best i guess havin a slab of concrete.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

How about something like these?

https://www.gridguard.co.uk/driveway-grid-system/

734110aa822b58d92199cd4afddc314c.jpg

If your using it to park on every day then grass isn't going to work even with those plastic grids. Gravel will probably work out the cheapest and if you have an existing drive jack the car up on that. Don't try and jack a vehicle on a gravel drive.
There are many how to's on laying a gravel drive as long as it's reasonably flat you shouldn't have too many issue with the gravel moving off the drive. You can hire a whacker plate for not a lot of money from a tool hire place.

If your using it to park on every day then grass isn't going to work even with those plastic grids. Gravel will probably work out the cheapest and if you have an existing drive jack the car up on that. Don't try and jack a vehicle on a gravel drive.
There are many how to's on laying a gravel drive as long as it's reasonably flat you shouldn't have too many issue with the gravel moving off the drive. You can hire a whacker plate for not a lot of money from a tool hire place.
Im looking to get rid of grass the ajoining drive is sloped down which is why im look to do this part flat so gravel a big no to jacki on even with a slab ?

Reactions: martin1984
Worth being aware of what planning restrictions may be in force. I seem to remember that some councils don't allow you to lay a hard surface drive without planning permission - all to do with hard surface water run off contributing to flooding. But something that drains freely such as gravel you can do without permission.
Worth reading this - https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/45/paving_your_front_garden
Thanks yea looked into that luckiny there a drain less than 1/2 meter from the area so if i slop itslight towards that im fine from what i can work out or gravel is fine

You really need to know what the ground conditions are really, the ground under turf can vary wildly, what may seem firm when dry may be totally different when wet and you start putting continuous weight on the same patch .
best plan for a cheap and reliable hardstanding is this.
remove the top layer of turf, then remove another 3 - 4 inches of soil and replace it with scalpings or similar compactable substate material, compact it down really well and then put a layer of shingle on top.
if it's on a slope you may need to put an edging at the bottom to stop the gravel from moving downwards , which it will do.

Don't whatever you do just stick gravel ontop of the grass , it wont work and will only endup a mess, work on the basis , " fail to prepare , prepare to fail" .

Reactions: Audi Bairn and martin1984
All will need firm ground below, using compacted hardcore.

Gravel - Easiest / Cheapest. Make sure you put membrane below to stop weeds. As you say, not the best for jacking.

Concrete - Not the best looking even if you finish the surface properly. Stick mesh rebar in it to minimise cracking over time. Would need to hire a mixer or get ready mix delivered. Could go horribly wrong.

Tar - Needs someone to do it for you with the right equipment.

Monobloc - Probably the best looking but more expensive and again you'd need the know-how / equipment.

I've got a large gravel drive and have no issue with it at all.

Reactions: Ghost and martin1984
I have a gravel drive as well , does a good job as well, only downside is the cost of replacing contaminated areas after 10 years, 25 tons of gravel does get costly....

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I have a gravel drive as well , does a good job as well, only downside is the cost of replacing contaminated areas after 10 years, 25 tons of gravel does get costly....

Yeah, we had to go with gravel as the Planners insisted when we built the house, but no regrets at all.
It's main down side is trying to shovel snow off it without scooping up the gravel.

yep snow is a real pain to shift of gravel, and made even worse once it get compacted even a small amount.
I just get my Stihl BR 400 leaf blower out and clear large areas that way, works a treat and quick too.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ghost
well look like gravel is the way forward sound like as long at i have a good base all should be fine.

Other option, which is manageable on your own with a big manual labour. is slabs.......... but I'd go for gravel personally.