Driveshaft issue?

Ricky Burrows

Reaction score
Noticed a knocking noise so while i was taking all the wheels off to give all the suspension and inner arches a clean i found this on the o/s driveshaft?

E8C72B48 0710 4C18 8763 725B9DE778D0

E8C72B48 0710 4C18 8763 725B9DE778D0
C4BDF8B9 0A71 47C5 B832 49076B7FEEF5

Seems to have lost a metal clip as it now moves forward and backward slightly when i pull and push it, moves a couple of centimetres (must of been the noise i been hearing last couple of drives), and as you can see its leaking onto the surrounding areas and the damper as a result.

So
1) why would i lose a clip like that? And 2) can i get another or is it new driveshaft?

Thanks.

You might get away with replacing the cv boot and repacking the cv joint with fresh grease after a clean up. Looks like its come loose as there is a tiewrap on there, these are sometimes used in place of metal clips

Most are secured by a metal clamp type clip so it is really tight and wont slide along the shaft, a cable tie is never going to last or be upto the job.
Possibly water has found its way inside aswell , and your loosing packing grease.
If the boot is still in good condition with no splits then reuse it, you need to repack the joint first though, refit the boot properly and then refit the shaft.
You can get the clamps but the right tool helps to get the clamp really tight.

Changed my nearside boot last easter as it was split and decided to put the whole contents of the joint all over the inner wheel arch and parts, not ideal.

The other side does have a metal clip and I'm sure the cv boot has a cable tie as well where as this side just has a cable tie, what tool is need to make it tight Rob as the boot seems in good condition, so I'm assuming I just pack it with grease again cable tie it down and fit a new metal clip?

The other side does have a metal clip and I'm sure the cv boot has a cable tie as well where as this side just has a cable tie, what tool is need to make it tight Rob as the boot seems in good condition, so I'm assuming I just pack it with grease again cable tie it down and fit a new metal clip?

To pack it properly you need to slide the boot well out of the way.
Best plan would be to remove the shaft which is not difficult and do it on a bench in a vice or similar.
remove the large clip, slide boot along then fill the cv joint with the correct grease.
slide the boot back and fit two new clamps, refit and jobs done.
Whilst you have the boot clear of the joint you can check it for excessive wear whilst you're at it.

Reactions: AvantMike and Ricky Burrows