Drivers window issue - Help please

Nogmeister

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, driving back from the In laws house and put my drivers window down. It decided to go about half way down and stop. I tried to make it go down again, and it went slightly up, then all the way down. And stayed there.

The motor makes a noise, but not a constant noise when the finger is on the button, more it kind of ticks on and off a couple of times.

To make matters worse the ****** heavens opened, so I got soaked whilst taking the door card off, subframe off, disconnecting the bottom clips off the glass, and jamming it up with a screwdriver!

Im guessing it's the motor gone kaput, none of the cable had come off or snapped. Any ideas?

2001 S3 btw.

Cheers guys!

And before somebody says 'stickies' that the first place I looked and thank god I did! A great guide on dismantling the door in there!

Very strange! Mine did a similar thing when the seal around the window was very dry and it began getting stuck on its way back up... Just changed direction!

If I were you I'd replace the motor and then invest in some silicone lubricant spray for the window seals and around the window. I just ordered some off eBay for £4.99, bargain!

Yes, it'll be your motor. I have a working motor, regulator (the frame it all sits in) plus glass if you need it, selling on Ebay -

Audi S3 8L facelift breaking spares Recaro seats interior TT Quattro Golf Mk4 | eBay

Ebay message me for details & prices

Alistair

Hi, this is strange, one bigal after another. I had the same problem, no cables snapped but since the cable is multistrand it is prone to the outer wires becoming broken The wire passes through a metal tube and it can jam if the outer wires have broken. I bought a second motor to no avail, then discovered the frayed wire. The wires are available on ebay for about £20.00 if this is the cause.

It could also be some plastic clips in the window themselves that can snap, they are about 50p each, if you do a search there will be info on it as its a common fault.

Yeah it turned out to be the clips in the end, got the newer pink ones from Audi for £7.82.

If anyone has similar issues, drop me a PM :)

That was a nice cheap fix then hey??

Yeah bargain! Glad it was cheap too. Plus I liked the way Audi designed the door with an unboltable sub frame, made the job a lot easier than when it happened on my Mk 3 Golf!