Drivers side window

Tqm

Hi guys I have an 2009 A3 1.6 s line which I bought with a non functional driver side window, the window does not go up or down but makes a clicking sound when I press the button, the passenger side can be operated from the same controls. When I bought the car the owner showed me the fault code which said something about the motor. Does anyone know what part I would need to fix? Much appreciated.

Jay Drury

Hi guys I have an 2009 A3 1.6 s line which I bought with a non functional driver side window, the window does not go up or down but makes a clicking sound when I press the button, the passenger side can be operated from the same controls. When I bought the car the owner showed me the fault code which said something about the motor. Does anyone know what part I would need to fix? Much appreciated.

Same thing happened to mine. It could be 1 of 2 things...

1. Strip interior door panel off & look at the 3 plastic screw fittings which attach the motor to the regulator, it is very common for these to be over tightened & crack the screw housing, trust me, ave annoyingly done this, resulting in the motor still working as the cog is still turning but not properly catching the regulator cog spindle.
Best to buy a 2nd hand motor (£15-25) as gluing the screw fittings will eventually give way after several uses...

2. It could be the window regulator cable which has snapped or about to shear. Need to replace the window regulator, kits on Ebay £30-40 depending on 3/5 door model, DONT BUY CHEAPER KITS as wire cable will fail whithin 6 months (happened on my VW Golf) It can be a 2-3hr job for non experienced person & some patience, as it can be a footery job. All worth it once its all fitted back together...
There is threads on here somewhere & YouTube on how to replace regulator...
Good luck

Jay

1st pic - circled in orange is the window motor with the 3 screws circled.

2nd pic - circled in orange us the window regulator kit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-225146_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-225146_Gallery.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210112-225353_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-225353_Gallery.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 24

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
If you need it fixed for you, ping me a WhatsApp.

Tqm

Thanks guys so id be able to determine if its the motor or regulator by taking off the door panel? The car needs to go in for a few little things anyway so im trying to get all the parts together so they can fit them and make it as quick as possible.

Thanks NHN Ill certainly consider it once i have the parts.

Reactions: NHN

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
When my regulator failed I could hear the motor working, but the window remained shut.
I bought a regulator before the door was taken apart and it turned out to be the regulator that was broken.
Expect to pay around £120 for a genuine part.

NHN

Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Thanks guys so id be able to determine if its the motor or regulator by taking off the door panel? The car needs to go in for a few little things anyway so im trying to get all the parts together so they can fit them and make it as quick as possible.

Thanks NHN Ill certainly consider it once i have the parts.

No worries, could maybe do your other things too at same time ;)

Tqm

When my regulator failed I could hear the motor working, but the window remained shut.
I bought a regulator before the door was taken apart and it turned out to be the regulator that was broken.
Expect to pay around £120 for a genuine part.
When pressing the button I can hear a clicking sound coming from inside the door, does this mean my motor is okay?

NHN

Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Sounds like the regulator, don't buy ecp version as last one a client bought needed modifying to fit, luckily I was able but it was a ballache.

Take the door card of before buying anything.

Jay Drury

When pressing the button I can hear a clicking sound coming from inside the door, does this mean my motor is okay?

Like my post above states that if its clicking then the motor is working but double check the 3 screw housings on both sides of motor as one or more may be cracked from over tightening, this causes the motor still to turn but wont make a tight enough connection against the regulator housings spinning cog. Thats the clicking u hear, it will eventually ware away the teeth. Best & easiest option I found is to buy 2nd hand motor, as trying to repair the cracked housing is a waste of time. It will break away after several uses.
If all 3 screw housings are fine then it will more than likely be a new window regulator u'll need. U'll have a better idea once u remove the door card. U can see the motor & any broken cables from regulator once card is removed. If its the regulator, the noise tends to be more of a crunching noise, than a constant steady clicking noise from the motor...

Tqm

Took the door card off today and couldn't see any issues with the motor from a visual inspection, I also don't see any broken cables or anything obviously wrong with the regulator (though I dont really know what to look for) but given the fact i can hear the motor clicking am I to order the regulator now?

abmat

VCDS Map User
Try and hook it all up with the card off and operate to see the issue.

SootySport

Unscrew the motor from the door and operate the window switch, the motor should run. If not new motor required. If the regulator is faulty you should be able to see the cable caught up or the plastic wheels dislodged, you need a torch and mirror to look inside the door cavity.

Tqm

Unscrew the motor from the door and operate the window switch, the motor should run. If not new motor required. If the regulator is faulty you should be able to see the cable caught up or the plastic wheels dislodged, you need a torch and mirror to look inside the door cavity.
Thank you, this will be my next job then I will update :)