Drivers side wet carpet.....

Chris W 1960

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ok as above only the drivers side carpet is wet approximately where your heel sits. The car is an A3 55 plate with no sun roof. What I have done so far is to remove the plastic surround from below the windscreen and checked the drain holes which are clear and drain freely, there is a plastic plate on tbe bulkhead just behind the wiper motor held in place by three nuts which I just tightened up as a matter of course it would be useful to know what it allows access too? I also checked the holes at the bottom of the drivers side door are clear and when it' rains I cannot see any sign of water on the sill.

The weird thing about it is that I dry out the carpet, the car sits in the drive then it rains and the carpet is wet ? which is why I checked the drain holes under the windscreen. I have read in some places that the battery tray/box can fill with water but on mine the battery box sides lift up so any water can freely drain away.

Any suggestions please .....

Thanks for any feedback in advance & I will keep you all updated.

door seals? has your door dropped at all, maybe enough that the seals aren't "sealing" enough?

Or did you do what I did a few weeks ago? window was dropped a couple of millimetres and because it still looked closed I forgot to put it fully up when I got out the car and left it in the rain for 7 hours?

door seals? has your door dropped at all, maybe enough that the seals aren't "sealing" enough?

Or did you do what I did a few weeks ago? window was dropped a couple of millimetres and because it still looked closed I forgot to put it fully up when I got out the car and left it in the rain for 7 hours?
Hi,

Windows are always closed........... :)

I have checked the carpet running down from the door seals and that never seems to be wet its just seems to be the patch where you heel rests ????

I'd probably suggest putting a towel or a mat that you know to be completely dry on the floor that covers the entire footwell all the way up under the pedals, then put several sheets of kitchen towel on it, again all the way up under the pedals, make sure the driver's door is closed

Then tip a bucket over the drivers side of the windscreen, and get in the passenger side and see if you can see any drops appearing on the kitchen towel sheets

the water being where your heel would be, that's where the water will be settling, not necessarily where it lands when it leaks in

I have the exact same problem. Driver's side, approx. where your heel would be. So far I've cleared my sunroof drains, cleared the scuttle panel drains, and replaced the water deflectors on the sides of the windscreen as they weren't sitting flush to the windscreen. Had the plenum chamber drains blasted out a couple of weeks ago but the footwell is still wet. I'm not sure whether it's resolved the problem and it's now just a case of drying it out - could take weeks/months if there's water lying underneath the carpet.

I actually had damp footwells in all corners of the car, but now it seems the worst is the driver's side. Pulled passenger side carpet up a couple of weeks ago, it was damp but not soaking.

Please let me know if you ever figure it out!

Probably the heater matrix gone bad and leaking inside, check it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wouldn't you be losing coolant if it was the heater matrix? I know in my case the water is tasteless. ie. no chemicals so isn't coolant or screenwash

My previous A3 8P leaked too - I couldn't find the cause until I replaced my door speakers and saw that the water was getting in under the speaker, which was above the door seal. Both front speakers were stuffed, I suspect this was also caused by water damage.

My old A3 leaked rainwater through the screen sealant but was at the top of the windscreen and easy to spot. Could yours be leaking at the bottom of the screen.

Just an idea, but sometimes the a/c drain is damaged and leakin inside under the mat. Its usually on the right side of the centre console.

Wouldn't you be losing coolant if it was the heater matrix? I know in my case the water is tasteless. ie. no chemicals so isn't coolant or screenwash

Yeah but it doesn’t take much to get a carpet wet, if you haven’t had any glass replaced or damaged lately the most likely source is the aircon, the outside of a car is pretty water proof, unless you’ve driven through a river or something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk