Drivers Door Window Issue

asalhan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So as I was dropping the drivers door window down to get a ticket from a car parking machine, I hear a loud crunch and a thud coming from the car door. At first i thought I drove over something but then when I tried to put the window back up, it didn't go anywhere.

I tried to rock the switch a few times and it did come up a couple of inches and then just completely stopped. When I parked up, I managed to use both hands, either side of the glass to get it back to a closed position.

Once home I've got the laptop out and scanned the drivers door for errors. this is what I have got:

1 Fault Found:
02111 - Motor for Window Regulator
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent

When I looked on the Ross-Tech webpage, its telling me that I need to wind the window down, hold the button for 2 secs and bring it back up, hold the button for 2 secs.

When I tried this I just heard a massive crunch coming from the door so needless to say that wasn't the fix. I'm kind of thinking it's the regulator because the motor seems to be alive. I'm tempted to get both off eBay just to check and see what the problem is. Any ideas?

Thanks

The thud does sound like the glass dropping after regulator failure.

How many miles on your car?

175k+ mainly motorway.

The window was only about half way down when it happened and then it stayed there. The rest you know from above.

Sounds like your regulator has failed. Had a loud crunching noise from my old A4 and the window got stuck open. Motor tried to working but it wouldn’t close, stripped door to find the regulator had completely failed and the crunching sound was the gears chewing themselves up. Don’t buy a cheap set of eBay as I did and they lasted about 6 months before it happened again.

I'll get a genuine one to be honest. I don't want to have to strip the door every 4 weeks. I've just had the AC condenser replaced so this was the last thing I needed.

So I had a bit of time this afternoon and thought I'd investigate the issue. The door card came away surprisingly easy. Just 3 T25 bolts and several clips around the edges. The top part comes away last.

After removing the motor, this is what I found. Needless to say it seems like the regulator has given up. I've just managed to find a genuine brand new one for £125. Hopefully that will be here this week.

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Reactions: dk1234