Drivers door thinks its open

toathus

Reaction score
Been having problems with my drivers door. Basically when I close the door it doesn't register and therefore thinks it is still open. The interior and puddle lights stay lit when the door is properly closed and I get an open door alert on the dash. It started doing this a few weeks back and has got worse to the point that everytime I use my car i have this problem.

I've searched but nothing relevant came up although I think it must be the door lock module, just seeing if anyone has had the same problem and how did you sort it?

yea i had this towards the end of summer, did it everytime i got into the car for about a week, after much door slamming it would register it was closed so i could drive it. Didnt do anything about it, it just sort of fixed itself... come to think of it this really isnt a very helpful post...

I had the same problem with the passenger door , It turns out it was the micro switch which is part of the lock, There have been a few people that have replaced the lock and never had the problem again. I sprayed wd40 into mine and used a long thin screw driver to work the switch a little with the door open.
My problem seems to have gone away, The major head ach i had was the car wouldnt alarm as it knew the door was open.

Thanks guys.. At first it was very inconsistent, sometimes it would register shut then a few days later it would go back to it's stubborn ways by informing me the doors open. Now it's like that all the time and cannot do anything about it.
It worries me as the puddle lights are always on and alarm now always off. This is not a good thing especially as I park my car a fair walk from my house due to parking restrictions. Also means my battery will be at even greater risk especially as the weather turns for the worse over the coming weeks.
If anyone has any information on what part exactly could be at fault and if there is a cheap D.I.Y fix?

Hello...
I told ya how to sort it.
Maybe a short term fix or like mine long term

This is a common problem, which is worse when it's warm for some reason. Mine did the same (driver's door) so eventually I had the sensor/lock replaced. As you say, it won't alarm unless it senses the doors are closed.

I used the head of a screw driver to work the switch while wd40ing it.
It seems to do the same. i think the problem is dirt on that part of the switchs slider so either cleaning the area by wd40ing it or puling the switch forward slightly (so it uses a difrent part of the switch ) should stop the problem...

Thanks all for the suggestions. I went with spraying the sensor with WD40 and giving it a wiggle with a screwdriver. Seems to have the problem sorted for now but with most things like this i'm sure the problem will return at some point.

The puddle lights wont stay on indefinately. The central locking module shuts off power to the interior illumination after about 10 minutes, so as not to drain the battery if a doors left open.

Hi just been reading your reply on the door microswitch, could you tell me please how much was a new lock and where and who fiited it for you?? Thanks

Hi Paul, just been reading your thread ref the door microswitch, did you spray the wd40 through the key barrel or into the lock mechanism when the door is open?/ Sorry if im sounding thick but i have the same problem??