Driver's door speaker problems?

TimS2016

Reaction score
Hi,

After installing a new Android head unit in my A3 and testing speakers properly for the first time, I've just discovered that my driver's door main speaker / woofer (?) isn't producing any sound although the corresponding tweeter on the windscreen pillar seems to be working fine. The passenger speakers are fine and working well, as are the amped rears/sub... just the drivers door one that's causing a problem.

I quickly swapped back to the original Concert stereo to check whether the new one was causing a problem and unfortunately the fault persists. Suspect I'd never noticed it before with the old stereo but now I know it's a problem, ignoring it going forwards is unlikely to happen!

Can anyone suggest how best to diagnose the problem from here or what to investigate first? I'd rather not take the door apart to get to the speaker if there's likely to be a problem somewhere else..

Any ideas gratefully appreciated!
Tim

Guess what! You need to take the door trim off. I would also remove the passenger door trim as well and swap the 2 speakers over to prove the fault. If it turns out the wiring is at fault you'll need to test for continuity from the quad lock plug tone speaker plug, hopefully a loose plug or wire

Reactions: TimS2016
Cheers Soot1 - think I've been coming round to the concept that's going to be the way forwards.
Was wondering if there was a common failure point that might be worth checking first though?
A few posts on other forums suggest the wiring in the rubber boot between door & chassis might sometimes fail but any idea if that could potentially just knock out the door speaker but leave the tweeter ok?
Guess there's a crossover somewhere?

The door trim comes off easy, it's a10 min job. If your car is an older model then a wire maybe broken in the loom gaiter but you won' t always see the break, a wire can break inside the insulation and look ok. You need a meter to prove it.

Good to hear - had got the idea from somewhere (probably fighting with a previous car!) it was rather more involved than that.
Will have a look when I can and live with knowing the speaker's not working till then :)

Cheers for your help

My driver door speaker faulty. I took the door card off and there was a fault with the speaker I never really got to the bottom of the problem, I think the speaker wire at the back is too tight. I just wedged it with a piece of plastic so it worked

Interesting stuff - think my next step has to be to have the door card off and take a look. May well see if I can try swapping driver & passenger speakers over to test too before starting to trace wiring... just have to try and find a clear couple of hours now which may well be more of a challenge!