Drivers door rattle / buzz

steverobertsbbc

Reaction score
My driver's door has developed an annoying rattle / buzz on certain road surfaces. If I put pressure on the brushed alloy trim strip it stops. Anyone experienced this and has an easy fix?

Out of interest, is it mainly when wet/raining/freshly washed?

Only reason I ask is that my A4 made a buzzing/rattle when wet, but not when dry. The dealership put some kind of dry lubricating spray on the rubber seals and it went away.

I think it's the inner door handle release cable as that's roughly the route it would follow from handle to catch... hopefully booking into Audi next month for this & a couple of other noises & I'd agree it's road surface rather than temp / wet /dry related.

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
I had a buzzing/rattle in my S5 for months. Finally got a tech to take the door card off and have a look and it turned out that the regulator cable for the electric window mechanism had come loose. Clipped it back in and after months of rattling, finally nice and quiet :)

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
Just to close this off, I finally got around to taking the door card off to have a look. Use a small spudger / trim removal tool to remove the little grille by the door lever, remove two T25 Torx screws under it and another under the armrest, then a large spudger to unclip the door card starting at the bottom and then lift it up and away from the window channel, remembering that there are still lots of wires attached!

Found two potential culprits - a silver T25 Torx screw that was half unscrewed near the door lock and also the clip that holds the aluminium trim panel in place looked like it might touch the door frame, so I put a bit of adhesive-backed foam on that. Put it all back together and blessed silence has returned. :)

Reactions: richinsoton, azibux1 and Bittern
Just to close this off, I finally got around to taking the door card off to have a look. Use a small spudger / trim removal tool to remove the little grille by the door lever, remove two T25 Torx screws under it and another under the armrest, then a large spudger to unclip the door card starting at the bottom and then lift it up and away from the window channel, remembering that there are still lots of wires attached!

Found two potential culprits - a silver T25 Torx screw that was half unscrewed near the door lock and also the clip that holds the aluminium trim panel in place looked like it might touch the door frame, so I put a bit of adhesive-backed foam on that. Put it all back together and blessed silence has returned. :)
Glad it's sorted for you.......Clearly your door cards were fitted on a Friday....lol

Reactions: azibux1
Got a similar issue with my passenger door. It is driving me crazy! It sounds like it is from the lower half of the door card. A slight pull on the door handle stops it.
I have had the trim off a few times but have failed to solve it. Could it be the trim clips are worn? Does anyone have a part number or link so i could replace them any way?
I am going to try again when it stops raining!!!

Reactions: pburv
Got a similar issue with my passenger door. It is driving me crazy! It sounds like it is from the lower half of the door card. A slight pull on the door handle stops it.
I have had the trim off a few times but have failed to solve it. Could it be the trim clips are worn? Does anyone have a part number or link so i could replace them any way?
I am going to try again when it stops raining!!!

Mine rattles from both the driver & passenger door storage bins - slight pull on the plastic stops it for a while then comes back when the road gets rough! Very annoying !

On the bottom edge of the door there are cloth pieces stuck on where the ribs of the plastic touch the metal door, they can look 'worn' so getting some fabric tape (similar to OEM loom type) and sticking it across the door edge cures the rubbing plastic sound you can get.

You need to pop the door card off to do this.