Drivers door lock!

Ashley Martin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

OK a weird one! sometimes when I go to open the car with the remote control it will unlock the car (the hazard lights flash so the car is receiving the signal) but the drivers door will open slower (there is a couple second delay) or not unlock at all.

I have tried to lubricate the key barrel and tried to lubricate the latch but no difference!

Any ideas?

thanks

It's likely that the microswitches in the door control module (window motor) are sticking. All the switches are in the window winder motor and get gunged up after a while. Had this on my 2006 sportback earlier in the year and took me 6 hours to spot the fault and fix it !

If you are not reasonably experienced at taking complicated things apart I wouldn't recommend you do it. Just get another winder motor, swap the control module over unless you get an exact replacement, then re-fit.

Any tips on the best way to get to this? any pictures of what I should be looking for?

You have to take the door card off and unhook the handle cable. Once you have done that then you unplug the connectors and then remove the motor. There is a black box attached to the motor which will (carefully ) unclip. Just swap this box over to the new motor you have got and replace all.

Thats the door not opening at all now so need to either order the part or have a look for these microswitches! does anybody have a picture of the door with the doorcard off?

When you take the door card off there will be a unit like this staring at you :-

AUDI A3 8P 3 DOOR PASSENGER SIDE FRONT WINDOW MOTOR 8P0959802A | eBay

The microswitches I refer to are inside the white bit which, when you take it apart, has dozens of little bits that can drop out of position.

Cleaning and putting back is a nightmare which is why it took me 6 hours to get it right ! Then you need VCDS to reset the basic settings.

The black bit is the control module that works everything and can be unclipped from the white bit. If you can find the proper motor ( front right side ) then just swap the control module over and replace.

Ah right ok so I just need to get my hands on the white bit? will I still need VCDS doing it that way? Sorry if this is a silly question but how does the window motor connect to the door lock side of it all? Is that the part number required too?

Ah right ok so I just need to get my hands on the white bit? will I still need VCDS doing it that way? Sorry if this is a silly question but how does the window motor connect to the door lock side of it all? Is that the part number required too?

You will not be able to buy just the white bit. You'll have to buy the whole thing and if it's a different part number on the blacl bit then just swap them over.

The module connects to the door lock with a multi-pin plug.

You will probably need VCDS to carry out the basic settings i.e window up/down and lock/unlock but you might get away with not needing to. You'll have to see if it works first !