Drivers Door Creaking Noise. (Aaaarrrgh!)

Jenno

Reaction score
Having just been without an Audi fore a couple of years, i'm back. And so far, not too impressed.
The main issue is a constant creaking/rattling noise from the rear of the drivers door.
Its somewhere between shoulder and ear height and its driving me to despair.

So far ive tried the following:-

Removing the door trim and tightening the torx screws inside.
Covering the rubber door seals and plastic window surround in silicon.
Driving with the window down.

All to no avail.
If you slightly open the door while driving the noise goes away.

Has anybody else had this issue and for the sake of my sanity, how did you cure it ?

Cheers
Jenno

Jenno - try some white lithium grease on the door catch itself...my Tiguan did the same and drove me nuts for a while until I applied the grease and haven't heard anything since. I have an Oz S4 Avant and that was one of the first things I checked but its pretty new anyway but I was concious of it - all the best from downunder :)

Welcome to the site David.

Also striker plate may need slightly adjusting.

I had a similar thing and it turned out to be the small screw which holds a white plastic part ( I think part of the locking mechanism ) which sits behind the door skin...took the door trim off and the screw was loose so I replaced it with a slightly larger one and that cured it......really screwed up the door from taking it off though, so anyone doing this, be carefull with the plastic lugs which hold the door card on !!!!!
Trouble is, I can hear all the other rattles now !!!

As NHN said, I recently moved the striker plate in by around 2mm and cured 80% of the problem. Haven't had time to try whether another mm or two will solve the rest. By the way, a normal torx will fit the bolts just about well enough to do the job :-/

My advice is use the correct spline tool, as torx can damage the socket & thus cause you loads of grief, should you need to remove/adjust later on

Where can you buy the correct tool? Must admit it felt wrong with the torx.

Halfords do a very good 7 piece socket set for approx. £25, never failed me & had no cause to buy anyother sizes thus far.

If your taking the door car off buy replacement plastic clips part number (8E0 868 243) and are around 30p each they always break, and even more so in cold weather.

MIne creaked and groaned until i had the door seals lubed. Just a thin smear of silicon type grease on the rubers and noise gone.

I think I've identified the source of the rest of my creaking noise. It's the cloth-covered bit of trim covering the seat belt slider on the B pillar. It creaks when I go over bigger bumps. What I haven't been able to do is to cure it!

It comes off very easily by peeling the door seal out of the way and pulling the piece of trim inwards. I gave it some silicone grease on the mountings, but it still isn't silent. Any ideas?

As an update, I actually replaced the above-mentioned bit of trim some time ago, and the creak's still there. So back to square one!

Somebody else started a thread regarding the bit of trim you are talking about I'm sure they cured it so I would have a look for that...