Drivers carpet soaked

jamessg1962

Reaction score
Haven't used car for a couple of days, A3 TDI 54 reg.Went to use it today and have noticed drivers side carpet soaked.Have had quite a bit rain here recently.
Car's been parked on driveway which does slope to-wards front but never had issue before.
Had a look with torch above pedals etc but cant find any wetness. tried looking when it was lashing down still no joy.
Its definitely not coolant as the level hasn't moved.
Looked at previous threads about drain holes and water collecting on plastic scuttle beneath windscreen.No water collecting there, But can't see much.Looks like you have to remove wiper arms to get plastic panel off .
Anybody have similar problem let me know if you found anything conclusive.

Cheers James

I've had the same problem on my last two A3's.
It had been getting in where the speaker seals onto the door under the door card.
Removed door card, speaker, cleaned, sealed with silicone grease and bobs your uncle!

photo9.jpg

Thanks for replies ,but the car mat is dry ,its the car carpet underneath that soaked .Its just below pedals about 10" in diameter.
If it was the door would the carpet not be wet by the side of the door.
Checked under door cant see any moisture or any sign of water Ingres

There is a pipe witha join for the washers that goes down the side under the carpet on the drivers side. Perhaps it leaking?

Yeap this sounds like either the heater system has got a problem or the rear washer pipe has split in that area, latter being most likely, try checking rear spray jet for functionality if any water comes through.

Checked rear washer and it's OK .
Have had hose pipe out spraying car, placed some some kitchen roll on plastic trim where the carpet meets door.
Low and behold it's showing signs of wetness.After my initial doubts i think it could be coming down door card as crunchie has explained.
Looks like the door card will be coming off tomorrow for closer inspection.
How easy is it to get off ?

Last edited:
Well there is an issue with the water draining point as shown, I did a thread on this & tbh forgot to follow up, which have thought recently about.

I'd say you need new door top seals, if thats dropping straight down through if the seal isnt allowing it to run down to the mirror plastic & then drops down through there behind the speakers, which then runs out of the bottom of door where there is a drain hole, have a look you'll see.

Thanks NHN
How involved is it to get cards off ?
What do top seals cost and are they easy to replace ?

Cheers Khufu.
Well, better sort some tools out !!!

"Everything will be OK in the end, if it's not OK, it's not the end.''

Removed door card today, then removed speaker .It was exactly like crunchie's photo.You can see where the water has been running out at the bottom of speaker.
The original foam seal just crumbled away as i removed the speaker.
Have replaced speaker and ran a bead of silicone sealant around where it seals against door. Hopefully this should cure problem.
While I'm on, I'm going to do passenger side as well.
Thanks for your help .

Better to test the running of water 1st mate, to see where its heading, then take measures with whatever tools at your disposal, to help direct it properly to the channels its supposed to go, even if that correct path sucks already lol

It just looks like the water runs down the door skin and out a drain hole in the corner.
Have made sure drain holes are clear using a cable tie poked down hole.
Can't see how you can direct it any where else.
So fingers crossed .
Haven't tried any water yet as wanted to give silicone a chance to set first.
One thing i would point out is that i snapped two of the clips,the same one on each door,which is a bit of a coincidence !!
A quick trip to TPS sorted that out .The clips were slightly different but they did the job.
Now i have found how easy it is to remove door card might sort out some puddle lights as mentioned in another thread.
Oh happy days!!.....lol

I have just fixed my second leak on my A3 2005/06 which was leaking under the rear couch. First one was exactly the same as mentioned here in this thread - massive puddle of water under the pedals after raining. So to me it seems like the problem was only the windscreen and rear window in both cases. I’ve replaced the windscreen and that solved the front leak, with rear window and wet rear seat I’ve tried several things - new rubber seals on all 3 rear doors, putting silicone in all little holes and spots around the inside of boot, and finally yesterday which hopefully did the job was putting silicone around that old rear window - on top under the spoiler and the sides too. The glue which holds the windows simply ran out of date lol. I was fighting with it for months and I even considered selling it which I don’t want to do cause it’s a beauty!

Is it the rear windows or rear light lenses not water sealed with the plastic but & seal on the rear of light, had this for a client as the water flowed down from the rear to under the rear bench & soaked through.

Is it the rear windows or rear light lenses not water sealed with the plastic but & seal on the rear of light, had this for a client as the water flowed down from the rear to under the rear bench & soaked through.
When I was opening the boot, water was dripping down somewhere along the hinges of the boot (probably along the wiring as it is wrapped in textile material) and I could see it dripping down inside the car between the plastic covers under the hinges, so that is done, maybe I won’t have to replace the rear window if the silicone will last to do the job. Unfortunately I’ve found some more water (not a lot) collecting on the side carpet lining of the boot as I’m still driving without the rear seat and waiting for some more heavy rain to come and show me where it might be coming from. And I think you might be right, in this case it probably is coming from behind my rear lights, I have custom rear lights as I replaced them for LEDs and the rubber might be improperly tucked in (because the water runs down on the inside frame of the boot when it’s open or closed), or there might be even some dirt obstruction causing water to flow inside, or rusty body somewhere... I would probably have to strip the plastics and carpet linings in the boot to find out properly, oh well, maybe when I have more time, now I’m too busy moving to a new house :)