Drive Select

Tej13

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but I have searched and checked out the FAQ and can't seem to find the answer...

This is probably going to seem like a dumb question, but I'm in the loooong wait until my S3 comes in March.

Can you set the different Stronic modes have a different set up on the Drive Select? For example, can you set the Drive Select to be in 'Auto' when you are in Drive, but in 'Dynamic' when you switch the gearbox to 'Sport'?

You could program the * button on the steering wheel to cycle through Drive Select programs and select Dynamic when you want and cycle back to Auto again. All done with one thumb. Only downside is it re-enables auto start/stop if you've got it switched off.

Reactions: elpaulio
What does the * button do out of the box?
The Aberdeen demo S3 has it as cycling through drive select so I thought that was its sole purpose but can it be made to do other things?

I use mine to turn navigation voice instructions on or off (often good to shut the lady giving direction up ;-) )

I use mine to skip tracks on the AMI

Reactions: rvtb101
Trying to remember, I think it can do MMI sources among others but It's not a great list as far as I remember, Drive Select was the only one that interested me.
I'm going to check tonight.

There's about 8/10 options. Drive Select is the standard one I think but I'm going to change what mine does as there is a Drive Select button above the Air Con console.

Is there any difference between Dynamic mode and Echo mode with Gearbox in "S" mode?

I thought going to "S" automatically switched the Drive Select to Dynamic? But then I normally just drive in Auto anyway.

What does the * button do out of the box?
The Aberdeen demo S3 has it as cycling through drive select so I thought that was its sole purpose but can it be made to do other things?

Not anymore it doesn't. I think i must've changed every setting on that car today :) i also had to delete about 15 other phones so that mine would connect properly :)

Si.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Just discovered yesterday that you can drive agressively in Manual: when you are in any Drive mode, turn to S and then push the stick to the right for Manual. The engine & gearbox behave different using the palets.

Found this:
f3993426a5bfd6a699a55afdc37fd6ce.jpg

Reactions: Jams, michael-s3, M1ke H and 2 others
Thanks for all the info guys!

I have been trying to get hold of a copy of the owners manual to swot up on things like this prior to the car arriving, but I can't seem to find a copy of online...

I have now had my S3 for just over a couple of weeks and its just coming up to 800 miles.

Can I ask what Drive Select the rest of you are running?

I have to admit that I haven't really given the 'Efficiency' mode a go as yet, I will be going to Devon in the next few weeks and will try it then, but I honestly haven't had mine out of Dynamic since I picked it up. 'Comfort' doesn't seem to do anything except make the car feel 'worse' ;)

Obviously dependant on how I am driving I change the from D to S on the DSG and sometimes into manual, but am I missing something?

It placed the DSG in S when first put it into Dynamic, but you can change it to D if you want.

I tend to put mine in Efficiency mode only when I'm doing a long motorway trip, like the three hours from London to Leeds. It does make a difference to the economy and I'm still surprised by how often it's in freewheeling mode.

Individual for me most of the time so I can choose my options but it goes into Dynamic sometimes.

I find efficiency not as efficient as careful plan-ahead driving

Comfort & Auto - can't really tell the difference.

As far as i'm aware, unless you have magride, dynamic only stiffens up the steering, sharpness throttle response, turns on the sound actuator and holds the gears longer/kicks down quicker when in auto. I usually keep in comfort and knock the shift lever over to S if i want to bang up and down through the gears or have more manual control. For more dynamic driving over country roads i have my individual set up as per dynamic but with the sound actuator disabled as it really sounds a bit naff!

I have only ever had mines in Economy mode since I bought it 2 weeks ago. I've only done 210 miles so I might start changing it up a bit. I fancy trying individual with things set in various settings just to see what difference it makes. I would have exhaust set to dynamic for sure so I can hear that lovely burble when changing up the gears.

Does anyone know if the car blips the throttle when you change down the gears using the paddles on S-Tronic models?

I tend to toggle between Efficiency and Auto. Using "S" when I need any dynamic performance (Engine and Chassis). I may be imagining it but I find 'Comfort' less accommodating at absorbing road humps wrt using Efficiency.

Hi!. I got a question... Is Sport mode the same in every different Drive Select Mode. I mean... If you are in Efficency mode and set the stick in S mode, these values are the same if you are in Dynamic Mode?... If so, doesn´t matter wich drive select mode you are driving in, everytime you set the car in Sport mode, the car reacts the same way?... I notices that my REVO st. 1 S3, has a delay in Drive Position, in dynamic mode, if I need to quick down the pedal... Is that normal?