Drive Select Question

Stephen C

Reaction score
I noticed the engine sound becomes louder in Dynamic mode. Is this just artificial noise from the speakers, or is there some change to the exhaust note too? The SEAT Leon apparently changes the exhaust note, which I assume is using a similar drive select system to the Audi A3.

In the S3 there are exhaust flaps on both sides of the exhaust to give it more noise when drive select is used - and the noise generator in the dash increases too I believe.

Not sure about non S3 models though, I don't think they have exhaust flaps??

Not sure but I'm guessing it also opens the flap in the exhaust...

The S3 gets has two things that influences engine/exhaust noise

A pair of exhaust flaps in the tailpipes, and an electromechanical sound actuator on the bulkhead (WV call this a Soundaktor).

There is no audio from the in-car speakers.

m0Dn1BJ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Battlekrapz
The S3 gets has two things that influences engine/exhaust noise

A pair of exhaust flaps in the tailpipes, and an electromechanical sound actuator on the bulkhead (WV call this a Soundaktor).

There is no audio from the in-car speakers.

m0Dn1BJ.jpg

Good pic and explanation.

The M 135i has a option in its iDrive to adjust the exhaust noise in the cabin. It's a quiet car with it turned right down!

Good pic and explanation.

The M 135i has a option in its iDrive to adjust the exhaust noise in the cabin. It's a quiet car with it turned right down!

Does the 135 have a button to turn down the ugly factor?

Reactions: Chris Reynolds, Ceho, RYuill and 4 others
Haha, it can't have or more people would have done it...

I wonder if theres a way I can enable the exhaust flaps to be open all the time even in comfort mode might have to pay a visit to my exhaust shop. I have engine note set to dynamic in individual but the note and revs arent the same as compared when i select dynamic mode or drop it into sport.

I wonder if theres a way I can enable the exhaust flaps to be open all the time even in comfort mode might have to pay a visit to my exhaust shop. I have engine note set to dynamic in individual but the note and revs arent the same as compared when i select dynamic mode or drop it into sport.

I had never noticed this, never really checked must admit. You're saying that the exhaust makes more noise in dynamic mode than with dynamic engine setting set in individual mode? Anyone else can confirm?

I had never noticed this, never really checked must admit. You're saying that the exhaust makes more noise in dynamic mode than with dynamic engine setting set in individual mode? Anyone else can confirm?

Yeah give it a crack...I set up individual to have dynamic for exhaust/engine place it in drive its decent but when I pull lever back to place it in sport i notice the revs rise and idles higher and exhaust is louder

Reactions: Battlekrapz
I have the manual s3, not sure if this makes a difference. But very interesting point you made, so i'l make sure to try it out.

Reactions: vakaviti
I have the manual s3, not sure if this makes a difference. But very interesting point you made, so i'l make sure to try it out.
I know it's a long shot. Do you still have the car. I've got a manual and it has all four tips open all the time no matter what mode I'm in and I've no discernable engine/ exhaust note in the cabin in dynamic with the bulkhead speaker.

VCDS - Code them open all the time