Drive Select on Start Up

Rockall

Reaction score
Audi RS3 Exhaust Slide

Simples from a US video. Why doesn't the Dealer just tell you this on collection and avoid a lot of head scratching.

The biggest annoyance of the car to be honest and from what I hear no way around it.

Routine .. press start button, press drive select 5x :icon thumright:

Reactions: Seanix
The biggest annoyance of the car to be honest and from what I hear no way around it.

Routine .. press start button, press drive select 5x :icon thumright:
Only 4 presses needed in the RS3 ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Sure I press it 5x to go round. 1 to ‘activate’ as it doesn’t change mode then round the 4 options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5x for me, too.

@terminator x you are using fingers AND thumbs to count, right?!

Reactions: NevMan and teslaboy
Yep. This drives me insane. As i have the ghost too, i'm literally spending 1 minute each time i start the car pressing things! 3 clicks for the ghost, 5 clicks for drive select, 1 click auto engine start/stop off.

Reactions: Pablos007
Sure I press it 5x to go round. 1 to ‘activate’ as it doesn’t change mode then round the 4 options.

Ah ok busted!

TX.

Reactions: AudiNutta, neg and NevMan
Of all the RS3s that have been out there for two years now, I am surprised that no one has come up with a way around this - or is it a case of, has anyone tried?

Sports mode opens the exhaust, so only one pull of the level to get things cooking :)

But is only half cooking - you still need dynamic mode for the real mccoy.

Reactions: Seanix
I was under the impression that dynamic mode activates more aggressive :-
Exhaust
Gear shift
Throttle
Steering
Suspension
Quattro system

But sport will do the first three which usually all I need for fun around town.

Reactions: NevMan
There are after market mods that resolve this issue, just like there are Start/Stop memory modules to eliminate the annoyance of constantly turning SS off.

Somthing like this active valve exhaust module works very well. Its superb, enables memory function of exhaust flaps and the ability to open and close at will in any mode ( Comfort, Dynamic, Auto etc ), As a side effect you also eliminate the start up exhaust rattle if you leave flaps open. Not cheap though but highly effective and quick to install.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-8v-fl-400ps-active-exhaust-valve-controller.376475/

Jungle

Last edited:
I have the start/stop memory module from DJAlix which is one less thing.

Your right through, Dynamic is its own unique setting. Set individual to sport on everything and blip the throttle a few times, then drop into dynamic and blip - definite difference in the note and sound.

There are after market mods that resolve this issue, just like there are Start/Stop memory modules to eliminate the annoyance of constantly turning SS off.

Somthing like this active valve exhaust module works very well. Its superb, enables memory function of exhaust flaps and the ability to open and close at will in any mode ( Comfort, Dynamic, Auto etc ), As a side effect you also eliminate the start up exhaust rattle if you leave flaps open. Not cheap though but highly effective and quick to install.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-8v-fl-400ps-active-exhaust-valve-controller.376475/

Jungle
Sorry, but these modules do not address the issue [of drive select on start up]!
Dynamic mode involves a lot more than exhaust flaps, although admittedly, if it is just sound you want then the modules do a reasonable job for this.

Sorry, but these modules do not address the issue [of drive select on start up]!
Dynamic mode involves a lot more than exhaust flaps, although admittedly, if it is just sound you want then the modules do a reasonable job for this.

Fair enough, but for most people the main reason they select Dynamic on start up is for the exhaust sound and to eliminate the start up rattle. The module does this. Granted it has no effect or memory function to gearbox, or suspension setup.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that dynamic mode activates more aggressive :-
Exhaust
Gear shift
Throttle
Steering
Suspension
Quattro system

But sport will do the first three which usually all I need for fun around town.
Afaik there is a dynamic "map" only activated by cycling the modes eg stick pull won't do it.

TX.

Personally I haven’t noticed any difference to exhaust/gearbox/throttle behaviour in Dynamic vs Sport.

I know it's a mild annoyance but just press the damn button.

Reactions: Rs1, DW81 and AudiNutta
You can also us the button on the steering wheel if you program it to drive select mode, I think:search: but I'm new to this car!

I know it's a mild annoyance but just press the damn button.

+1, yes it’s annoying but it’s a small, small price to pay for what is an unbelievably good car.

I took wheels to be refurbished on Monday and have left my seats down ever since, went for a spin after work tonight and laughed my head off! The car is insane, sounds so so good.. totally in love with it. Drop your seats, highly recommend, but I also have the PCW Mod :p There are exhaust noises I’ve never heard before with the seats down

Talk about first world problems :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Hal Adams
+1, yes it’s annoying but it’s a small, small price to pay for what is an unbelievably good car.

I took wheels to be refurbished on Monday and have left my seats down ever since, went for a spin after work tonight and laughed my head off! The car is insane, sounds so so good.. totally in love with it. Drop your seats, highly recommend, but I also have the PCW Mod :p There are exhaust noises I’ve never heard before with the seats down

Dropped mine round at the detailers yesterday to have the wheels sealed... he strated it up to drive it in his lockup and from the outside they sound awesome! Driving them, even with the windows down, we don’t get anywhere near the full sound!

You can also us the button on the steering wheel if you program it to drive select mode, I think:search: but I'm new to this car!

Yes, you can but you have to wait for the MMI to initialise before the steering wheel button works - can take quite a while. Much quicker just to toggle the main 'Drive Select' button five times as soon as you fire up.

Reactions: Phil3
Dropped mine round at the detailers yesterday to have the wheels sealed... he strated it up to drive it in his lockup and from the outside they sound awesome! Driving them, even with the windows down, we don’t get anywhere near the full sound!

Yep tell me about it, I’d love to hear it being driven past but nobody would drive it properly haha. Plus I’m the only one isnured now, taking Mum and Dad off saved £900.. madness.

Got my girlfriend to move it a car length forward last week (heart racing), but even just inching forwards that burble :hubbahubba:

We really do have some incredible machines, even if the niggles are a pain in the backside :icon thumright:

Going to pick my Mum up from VW today dropping her Golf off, I’m so excited... there is a 3/4 mile long tunnel that I have to take in both directions :D Then may I mention back again tomorrow, Cardiff Bay can look out ;)

Reactions: Pablos007, Rockall and Phil3
We really do have some incredible machines, even if the niggles are a pain in the backside :icon thumright:
You said it AudiNutta! Awesome, awesome cars but the gearbox really does my head in around town. Leaping randomly into 1st gear at slow speed, accompanied by an anti-social roar and bang, and that never ending, lazy lurch from one gear into the next even in Dynamic / Sport. Funnily enough, I've found that setting the gearbox to 'Comfort' in the Individual Drive Select gives you a slightly snappier slow speed gear change than 'Dynamic'. On the exhaust sound, the nearest I'll get to hearing the true outside noise is driving between walls with the rear windows 1/4 open!

Reactions: AudiNutta