Drive Select Button on steering wheel

chanlon1

Reaction score
Website
www.babybmw.net
I have set the * button on the steering wheel to alter the drive select mode.

When driving, if I press it, the centre screen displays the options and has efficiency selected and listed as the first one.
If I do nothing, it appears to do nothing. If I want to select Efficiency, I need to select another mode, then repeat it all again and select Efficiency.

However, if I press the drive select mode button (beside the fan controls), the screen shows all the modes per above, if I then press the main circular control button...it will select Efficiency.

Am I doing something wrong with the steering wheel button?

Repeatably pressing the button will scroll downwards through the modes after the first press to being the menu up.
I used to have it set to do the same, but I found it didn't respond at all one day, then worked fine a day later, then wouldn't work again despite being correctly configured in the menu when checked. I now have it set to turn nav voice on/off (I sometimes use the nav for estimating time of arrival, but I know where I'm going and don't need voice) and leave driving mode in dynamic.
I'm happy with this set up, and accept the menus and options are a bit flaky and just a distraction from driving at times when it doesn't work as expected for no reason.

I generally leave my Driver Select in "Auto", and therefore I know on the Steering "Magic Button" it's 2 presses for Dynamic and then 5 presses to get back to Auto. Works for me!!!

Phil, Can you explain how this Nav. voice input works and how to set it to using the * button on/off ?
I'm tired of twirling the MMI control back and forth to put in the letters of the destination or Postcode. Am I the only one who doesnt use the voice activation?

Sorr
Phil, Can you explain how this Nav. voice input works and how to set it to using the * button on/off ?
I'm tired of twirling the MMI control back and forth to put in the letters of the destination or Postcode. Am I the only one who doesnt use the voice activation?
Sorry chris, I meant to mute the guidance voice.
The voice input is hard work, I think there is a teaching option to get it to recognise your voice better at first, then you press the voice button( the one next to the telephone button) and you have to say the address in a specific format like city, street, number or something like that. I've tried it once and found it very cumbersome and gave up, it's easy to draw on top of the wheel I find, then wait for it to predict the address and autofill.

appreciate the responses. Something definitely is a bit flaky with it....however have just fund myself leaving it in Dynamic at the moment to see how that is

I can confirm I can only get E1,2,3 etc upon start up and selecting Efficiency each time. If not it uses D1,2,3 etc.
Anyone else got any ideas how to keep it in E1,2,3 etc? It seems to be fine round the town in busy traffic and slightly more economical.

I can confirm I can only get E1,2,3 etc upon start up and selecting Efficiency each time. If not it uses D1,2,3 etc.
Anyone else got any ideas how to keep it in E1,2,3 etc? It seems to be fine round the town in busy traffic and slightly more economical.

Exactly the question I have in my other post. I also have the question out to my dealer on it.

Exactly the question I have in my other post. I also have the question out to my dealer on it.
I've noticed this on my s5 too. "E" is not selected even though it says efficiency. "E" will let you coast with the revs dropping down to 1000 rpm or slightly under. When it says efficiency and is in D it doesn't coast.

When it says efficiency and is in D it doesn't coast.

I didn't realise that but I think you're right. Surely that's not how its supposed to work?

Mine will coast in D but not as readily as when in E.
I personally find it a bit disconcerting and it often catches me out on the motorway and have to use the brakes more when I would prefer engine braking.

Yes, I'm sure mine coasts in D as I hadn't realised at the time that it wasn't in E, I thought the display hadn't changed but it was actually in E mode as its says Efficiency on the display.
When using cruise control I found the coast function is disabled as otherwise there is no feedback connection between the engine to control the speed and this is a safety feature of the cruise control system design.

I can't get mine to display D in efficiency. TFSI 190 (not an S5)

It remembers E after ignition off, and I can only switch from E to S

Is this S-Tronic vs Tiptronic?

I've just noticed this today: you can make the car to coast manually. I was doing this in "Auto" mode:
1. Release the throttle
2. Press the pedal shifter up
3. If you were in D8 the 8 just disappears and the car will coast
3b. If you were in lower gears, then just keep pressing the pedal shifter up until you reach M8 and then another press It'll show just "M" and you are coasting.

If you touch the any of the pedals the car goes back to normal gears. If you were in "M" mode coasting the car goes back to M8.

I've just noticed this today: you can make the car to coast manually. I was doing this in "Auto" mode:
1. Release the throttle
2. Press the pedal shifter up
3. If you were in D8 the 8 just disappears and the car will coast
3b. If you were in lower gears, then just keep pressing the pedal shifter up until you reach M8 and then another press It'll show just "M" and you are coasting.

If you touch the any of the pedals the car goes back to normal gears. If you were in "M" mode coasting the car goes back to M8.

I'll try this. Currently I'm averaging 18.5 mpg. I'm not even driving the car hard. I've done just under 500 miles at the moment. The dealer filled my tank up don't know what fuel they put in but I've only put in supreme unleaded in. What are others averaging?

I'll try this. Currently I'm averaging 18.5 mpg. I'm not even driving the car hard. I've done just under 500 miles at the moment. The dealer filled my tank up don't know what fuel they put in but I've only put in supreme unleaded in. What are others averaging?

I'm averaging 26mpg after 1900miles. That mostly done on country roads and motorways, about 20% in cities. In city traffic its about 17-19mpg, so yeah its pretty cr4p, but its better than my S8 was, so I'm fine with that for now, we'll see it on the long run.